PDA

View Full Version : jeep just shut off & stopped

scubatch2
06-23-2005, 12:23 AM
Comming home today the jeep just stopped running.It felt like it was getting stuck between 2nd &3rd gear,or it was just bucking alittle. I have replaced all plug's,wires,cap&rotor and a new batt. in the last 6 months.There is plent of spark.
I finnaly go it running and got it home.I then pulled the code's and got 22. Coolant temp.Sensor,Does this sound like a likely cause of the problem.I'm not realy fomiliar with how this would cause the engine to die. Any input will be appreciated.

ATL ZJ
06-23-2005, 12:26 AM
Check your CPS (crankshaft position sensor), on the driverside top of the bellhousing.

scubatch2
06-23-2005, 12:44 AM
Check your CPS (crankshaft position sensor), on the driverside top of the bellhousing.

should it throw a code for that?

ATL ZJ
06-23-2005, 01:23 AM
About your original post- I just read it very fast. If the Jeep is telling you to check the coolant temp sensor, then definitely try that first. Then try the other possibilities, the CPS being just one of these.

should it throw a code for that?

I don't remember. Haha, I know that helps a lot. I had a similar problem on mine and CPS was the culprit.

I would also check to make sure that there's pressure at the fuel rail when/ if it happens again. If there is not, try the tapping on the tank trick to see if it may be your fuel pump. If that doesn't work, then check your lines for kinks, and maybe replace your fuel filter if it's been a while.

If you rule out all the ignition stuff and the fuel pump, then move on to looking at the injectors and all your sensors.

metalman0286
07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
had the same problem in my 96. went through everything such as plugs wires distributor. ended up being full pump just didnt shoot any codes. it would run if it was just being started and then for maybe 20 min. then would start shutting off and would have to let sit for a while