PDA

View Full Version : diesel swap

dunl
06-19-2005, 10:43 PM
I've been looking at getting a diesel 4x4 to experiment running on veggie oil, but before I do that, I thought I'd check on the possibility of swapping a diesel into my ZJ. Worthwhile or not? From what I hear, the Italian ZJ's that came with diesels were a piece of shit from what I have seen, so if the swap isn't worth it, I think I'd rather look at a diesel 4runner or Landcruiser for experimenting.

If you haven't had a chance to jump all over someone in a while, feel free to kick my ass on this one. :finga: :supz:

dasVettemeister
06-20-2005, 12:59 AM
If you're interested, I found a fairly informative site on biodiesel a while back. I think it's www.biodieselnow.com . I don't know what your knowledge base is, so please don't be insulted. There's a lot of good info in their forums. It's like a JU for biodiesel.

Jim311
06-20-2005, 07:27 AM
There's a thread on Pirate 4x4 about diesel swaps right now. If people are cramming them into Wranglers, I think it could be done in a ZJ.

MaineZJ
06-20-2005, 09:05 AM
http://www.canev.com/Jeep.html

WVO power kicks ass. biodiesel is interesting but WVO is just better - no processing required.

dunl
06-20-2005, 09:54 AM
I've looked into it a bit, and being a lazzy bugger myself, I just can't see myself going the biodiesel route. I'd rather set up the filtration properly and go with SVO (straight) instead of messing with the biodiesel processing. (SVO, WVO, whatever you like).

I think laziness is the main reason biodiesel hasn't caught on, and probably SVO as well. Why spend the time filtering and/or processing when you can just pay and pump, right? I did look at www.biodieselnow.com , but figured I could run SVO instead. I'm told there are guys north of me in Alaska running it, so if set up properly those bitch-of-a-Canadian winters shouldn't cause too much grief.

Thanks for the hint about Pirate...I'll run over there and check it out. My main concerns other than finding a diesel that would fit, is finding one that would match well without causing grief with the tranny, driveline, etc.

MaineZJ
06-20-2005, 08:29 PM
as long as you can start the engine on diesel - you can run straight veggie oil

FinlayZJ
06-20-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm not too keen on diesel engines, but from what i've read "common rail" or "unit injector" equipped vehicles aren't recommended to be run on grease (SVO, WVO, etc.)

dunl
06-20-2005, 11:18 PM
I've read that about the CR engines as well.

Anyone familiar enough with diesels to know what would be a good fit, without spending a schtoopid amount of moola, time, and ripping apart of the transmission when I start it up? :snakeman:

dunl
06-23-2005, 11:48 PM
Got a line on some 6.2's......but how do I know if they will be a good fit?

Plus, on another board, someone suggested weight issues, and maybe I might need to look into heavier duty coils?