PDA

View Full Version : Possible drivelin vib ?s

KevinM
06-17-2005, 07:26 PM
So after wheeling the piss out of my DD ZJ for days on end in Moab, it just ain't right.

Got the tires rotated, balanced and the Jeep aligned but still vibrates bad on the highway. I have not had driveline vibration before, and am not too familiar with it, but around 65 the whole jeep really shakes. I have not changed my pinion angle nor have i knocked off any driveshaft weights. Could it be a driveshaft issue? or maybe the ass clowns at Firestone can't balance a tire.

Anyone?

ATL ZJ
06-17-2005, 07:38 PM
So after wheeling the piss out of my DD ZJ for days on end in Moab, it just ain't right.

Got the tires rotated, balanced and the Jeep aligned but still vibrates bad on the highway. I have not had driveline vibration before, and am not too familiar with it, but around 65 the whole jeep really shakes. I have not changed my pinion angle nor have i knocked off any driveshaft weights. Could it be a driveshaft issue? or maybe the ass clowns at Firestone can't balance a tire.

Anyone?

Is the growling/ rumbling semi-harmonic? Often times lesser driveline vibe will be somewhat rhythmic.. louder...... softer.......louder.......you get the idea. If so, check your ujoints on the rear shaft.

I would try having them rebalanced (especially if they do it free) and then get an angle finder on your rear driveshaft angles to make sure they're correct for the type of shaft you're running. If the angles are fine, then you can move on to finding a driveline shop to balance your driveshaft.

nathaniel
06-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Pull front shaft and see if it goes away if not check your rear ujoints if still running stock single u joint shaft because if you get full droop out of the rear the joints end up in a major bind turning them to dust. Mine were. Also any dents in the shafts. Look for wheels wobbling going down the road for bent shafts or bad hub bearings.

KevinM
06-20-2005, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I went under this weekend to check the shafts again, no signs of play, U Joints seem good...I am just going to have to pull them one at a time and check. I do have a bad pass hub bearing, but its been bad for a while.

This sux, I'll pull the shafts in a day or so.

Thanks

BigDaveZJ
06-20-2005, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. I went under this weekend to check the shafts again, no signs of play, U Joints seem good...I am just going to have to pull them one at a time and check. I do have a bad pass hub bearing, but its been bad for a while.

This sux, I'll pull the shafts in a day or so.

Thanks

Kevin,
Try swapping the hub first before yanking driveshafts and such. If you know the hub is bad, replace that first. I had a hub going out that progressively got worse to about the point it sounds like where yours is at before I ditched it.

KevinM
06-20-2005, 10:12 AM
Cool, that will be where I start then. Where did you get the replacement? NAPA or is that a dealer only thing?

BigDaveZJ
06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
Cool, that will be where I start then. Where did you get the replacement? NAPA or is that a dealer only thing?

I think it was a Timken brand I found at VatoZone for about $120 IIRC. You shoulda let me know about the hub in Moab, I only carry 4 spares!!

rrubio
06-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Kevin I see that you have the 242 T.C. just take out the driveshaft and drive without it and see what happens.

KevinM
06-29-2005, 01:51 AM
Success!!! Aparently my double cardan joint on the rear driveshaft is bad. Piece of shit 1976 Lincoln Towncar it came from just didn't hold up. Driving with only a front shaft is fun, however I will be making a call to Tom Woods tomorrow for a new rear shaft.

Thanks for all the imput!

Keivn

chadjans
06-29-2005, 08:01 PM
You sure it isn't zap straps around your drive shafts? Tell Tom I said hi.

Chad

Kraqa
06-29-2005, 08:18 PM
click click.