PDA

View Full Version : Major fuel leak

zjcrazy
06-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone.

I have a bit of a problem I was hoping ya'll would help me out with. (1997 zj 5.2L) I have been in the process of wiring up a ford taurus fan and replacing the thermostat and waterpump (been runnin hot lately). So I have had the battery disconnected for a day or two. Finally get everything wired up and turn the key to ignition on engine off position. All of the sudden the jeep starts pissin gasoline. It is really comin out all over the place. I think the scource is from the fuel pump.

ok here is a lil background.
I'm at 72,000 miles right now.

at 65,000 miles the fuel pump died on me. got a good deal from the dealership :weedman: (I know I was surprised too) and went ahead and had them replace it.

68-69,000 miles I smash the charcoal canister on kodak rock (uwharrie)... quickly bypass it. Now I know with the charcoal canister gone the tank will build up a lil pressure... I can hear it spew everytime I gas the thing up. (well needless to say it isn't making the spew noise anymore)

So here I am now...

few questions...

1. what could this be? bad seal on the tank, or just loose fuel line?

2. did the charcoal canister cause this to happen... will it happen again and again?

3. how should I properly dispose of all the gas in my garage? ( I am guessing I will just have to hose it all away. )

4. finally how should I go about fixin this thing?

Thanks in advance

Zac

Ken L
06-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Where is it coming out from? "All over the place" isn't really specific.

OK, with that out of the way, did you maybe pull something off somewhere inadvertently? Start at the gas tank and follow the fuel line.

I've run without my charcoal canister for over a year with no issues.

As far as getting the gas out of the garage, by now most of it has evaporated from the puddle, right? Just keep the doors open for a while and don't smoke.

zjcrazy
06-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the quick reply I am sorry I wasn't clear enough.

If I follow the fuel line all the way back to the gas tank, that is the scource of the leak. The top, middle part of the gas tank. It flows down the front of the gas tank, hits the skid plate, then goes "all over the place"

zjcrazy
06-17-2005, 06:19 PM
as for me pullin somethin off inadvertantly... I haven't done any work near the rear of the vehicle, or under the vehicle in a while... I am just tryin to wire up the fan under the hood... which is on hold right now, cause I am pretty sure electrical sparks and gasoline don't mix.

LouisianaZJ
06-17-2005, 06:30 PM
check the hose conncetions and for busted fuel lines

btw, there is no such thing as a "good deal" at the stealership unless they installed the pump for you for the dealer cost of the parts only with free labor

zjcrazy
06-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I originally had the stealership do it, because I was too noobish to drop the tank (still a noob, but getting better). I still think it is a PITA, but I will prolly be dropping the tank and fixing this one for my own peace of mind. I was just poking around here for a lil direction from ya'll... so I can at least have some idea of what I am doing before I jump in and find out I am in way over my head. Normally I do the search and hardly ever post, but it was hard to find anything specific. I found a few threads on replacing the fuel pump... and I will probably be borrowing from them when I attempt to drop the tank, I was just wondering about the charcoal canister causin this to happen often, and some info on fuel lines.

(cause it has to be a bad fuel line connection at the pump right???) a bad seal between the pump and the tank wouldn't cause this kinda leakage.?.?

Ken L
06-18-2005, 09:25 AM
When you had the key in the run position, the fuel pump was on. So I think you're right about a fuel line issue at the tank.

I think dropping the tank is in your immediate future.

rrubio
06-20-2005, 04:30 PM
That happen to me one day when I was backing out of my garage.I was able to find that a hose just popped off,weird.But I was able to pop it back on and on my way I went.Below is the item im refering too.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/01WJ/fuelpump.jpg

zjcrazy
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
aight well.. I finally finished dropping the tank. I had it on the floor and I took a quick look at it and said to myself... ok... now what is wrong with this picture? after my first look I couldn't tell ya what was wrong. So I decided to post the pics and let ya'll have a look see and ask where do I go next.

Should I take the fuel pump out and replace the o-ring... should I replace the fuel lines... all of the above?? Also now that I got the tank out of there... are there some things that I should do to ensure that I won't have to do this again in the near future?

here are the pics

http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/misc01

zjcrazy
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
That happen to me one day when I was backing out of my garage.I was able to find that a hose just popped off,weird.But I was able to pop it back on and on my way I went.Below is the item im refering too.

Thanks for the info, but I think you have the external fuel filter... you are lucky...

Ken L
06-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Check the soft line that you disconnected, make sure it's not cracked.

Make sure it's not plugged, too.

Is it possible that the connection wasn't made fully? Or the connection is somehow damaged?

zjcrazy
06-25-2005, 01:31 PM
alright I am almost finished with this thing... I have one more question for you all. There is a lil bit of dirt, sludge, grime in the gas tank... I read in the haynes manual that I should take it to a professional. Screw that, I have come this far... what is the best method for cleaning the tank?