PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel replacement

BigDaveZJ
06-17-2005, 03:32 PM
So I have managed to completely wear through the outer wrap on my steering wheel. I don't really care about the air bags, so I don't NEED to have an air bag in the replacement. I could probably score one out of a junkyard ZJ, but it probably won't be in much better shape than the one I have now. I've seen the replacement steering wheels at the parts shops and such and am leaning towards one of those. What all is involved in replacing these????

And I hereby apologize for my pathetic newb post.

LouisianaZJ
06-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Swamp boy has one, it is a grant wheel i think

you have to rent a steering wheel puller to get the old one off

it would be easier just to re-wrap the wheel with a leather cover or something

Swamp boy
06-17-2005, 07:58 PM
I have a Pilot wheel... Its pretty nice.. and was very easy to do...

I used a Cherokee steering wheel mount kit .(available wherever you buy the wheel for about $30)

I also moved my cruise control so I can still use it..

http://images.igloos.ca/d/83701-1/Steering+wheel.jpg

Here is the cruise control.. Its in a hobby box from Radio shak... :smt003
http://images.igloos.ca/d/83703-1/cruise.jpg

Very old picture ..Notice the 249 still in place....:supz:

I had to get a tiny micro push button from radio shack and mount that on top of my steering column for the horn ...

Make sure you disconnect the battery and turn on the key and wait about 10 minutes before you try to pull the old wheel off... (Just to be safe.. you dont want that airbag to open up on you... :smt003 )

Let me know if you need any help...

Carl

paulkeith
06-28-2005, 10:14 AM
you can probably dontdothis sell your old airbag i'mnotadvocatingthisatall on ebay dontdoit and make some stopnow money.

i have a aftermarket wheel on the steering column (zj column) in my buggy. all said and done i think it was 40 bucks for a chrome 3 spoke wheel with waterproof/rubber/something wrapping and the mount kit. . been outside for 3 years and still looks sharp.

on a side note, i could NOT get my old wheel off. the puller actually broke the steering wheel's metal structure right near the center where it bolts onto the splines. had to cut it off with at a grinder right down to the splined shaft. PS, aluminum doesn't look hot even when it is. :partyman:

hth
Paul

Swamp boy
06-28-2005, 10:37 AM
My steering wheel came right off.. I didnt even need a puller.. :smt003

chadjans
06-28-2005, 11:11 PM
What was involved in moving the cruise control? Moving switches and splicing wires to the new location?

Chad

deadman
06-29-2005, 04:02 AM
My steering wheel came right off.. I didnt even need a puller.. :smt003

x2

I like the cruise control relocation. :supz:

Kraqa
06-29-2005, 09:01 PM
http://images.igloos.ca/d/83703-1/cruise.jpg

does that cool card get you the ladies?? :supz: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Swamp boy
06-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Took it off... Bought a hobby box from Radio Shak along with a roll of ribbon wire ..(Thats the flat wire with 6 leads..) Cut a section out of the hobby box to fit the buttons thru then made a little bracket thingy that held it up to the top of the hobby box.(this screwed on where the CC mounted to the wheel)

Getting the switches mounted in the box was by far the hardest part.. Then Simply soldered and heat shrinked the wires to the controler and mounted the box.. Then ran the wires under the console and into the colum where I made the same connections there...

All in all very simple and only took about 2 hours .. With figuring how and where to mount the box taking up most of the time ...

Getting the control unit (buttons) to stay in place was probobly the hardest part but in the end I accomplished it with two small piecs of sheet metal and two screws..

I wish I had pictures of it but I do not.. I never thought anyone would want to do it.. I mean who would replace a perfectly good steering wheel and bypass a safety device...:smt003
:mrgreen: