PDA

View Full Version : Ball joint replacement

forexfour
06-17-2005, 10:00 AM
I did a search and could not find how everyone was doing this. Looked in the book and it said not really for the home mech because of the tools needed.

OK so they are pressed in, is there a specific tool I should get to do this?

Or is there another way to do this?

Cue-Ball
06-17-2005, 10:30 AM
Chris,

AW can do this for you. He has a ball joint press. He knocked mine out on my HP30, I will probably put the new ones in myself after the gears are installed as I have a ball joint press at home also.

forexfour
06-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Thanks Que for the info, Jerod is kind of far and busy anyway.

I have some guys a lot closer to helpout, not that I wont ever hook up with Jerod again but his plate is very full.

We will be doing a track bar re location, changing extremely worn bushing, a clutch fan and then the Ball joints.

I forgot to mention, Shayna found all the info, it was as easy as we thought and she is going to get her own BJ press and do it for me.

I was hoping at least I would get a :axe: or a STFU or something from my friends over here.

:smt003

:weedman:

Shorty1
06-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Ummmm.... Really does not seem to be a lot of people out there that knows anything about ball joint replacement. I found a good article, and the Ball Joint Press... Now let's just see how well of a mechanic I am....

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.....

Shayna :smt028

Cue-Ball
06-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Check out this link it has a lot of great info.

BALL JOINTS (http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/ARadjustableBallJoints/adjustableballjoints.htm)

Shorty1
06-17-2005, 07:42 PM
Sweet article, more deatiled then the one I found and it is even has the adjustable ball joint. . I will definetly have to use the breaker bar...

Thanks......

Shayna :finga:

Cue-Ball
06-17-2005, 07:46 PM
glad I could help.

nate
06-20-2005, 04:57 AM
What do you need to know about ball joints? I've done a few D30s, D44s and the D60 in my truck (yeah... a friggen ball joint D60 haha).

I got the Matco ball joint press kit a while back, worth it's weight in gold IMO. I've used it for u joints, axle bushings, etc. Was around $350. Well worth it. The Snap On version is $500 and the Napa version with a few less cups (those are the expensive parts) was $325.

And before someone says Harbor Frieght has one for $40 or whatever. Go ahead and buy that. See if it lasts. Maybe on the small shit it will. I broke one the first time I used it. Even said on the box don't use an impact gun on it. So right off they know there stuff is junk.

Jeepin' Wolf
06-20-2005, 11:15 AM
And before someone says Harbor Frieght has one for $40 or whatever. Go ahead and buy that. See if it lasts. Maybe on the small shit it will. I broke one the first time I used it. Even said on the box don't use an impact gun on it. So right off they know there stuff is junk.
Maybe. Maybe not. I've used that HF toolkit 3 times so far and nothing broke on it. Not only did I use the impact gun on it, I whacked it good with a BFH several times and it still is in one piece.

nate
06-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Must of got a "good" one. I don't bother with Harbor Freight because all of the tools I've bought from them were cheap junk not worth my time and money.

If it worked for you cool deal.

Shorty1
06-20-2005, 05:12 PM
Rented a ball joint press, too much moola to buy one at the present time. But I agree with you, that thing came in handy all weekend. Never got around to the ball joints, but it sure did help with the bushings. Will be a tool on the wish list. (Along with everything else).

Still not sure when we are going to get the ball joints done, but replacing the bushing on the upper control arms , front and back, made a big difference.

Shayna :snakeman:

AprilzWarrior
06-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Chris...

Come out on the 2nd of July I can get it done! If you want...

AW

Shorty1
06-21-2005, 09:19 AM
I don't know Jerod. I am getting to be a pretty good mechanic, I think Chris is replacing you with me..... J/K.......

Shayna :smt002

Cue-Ball
06-21-2005, 11:09 AM
I don't know Jerod. I am getting to be a pretty good mechanic, I think Chris is replacing you with me..... J/K.......

Yea but do you have a lift? :finga:

Shorty1
06-21-2005, 01:07 PM
Actaully Ihave access to one right around the corner from my house!!!!

LOL

Cue-Ball
06-21-2005, 01:10 PM
cool

AprilzWarrior
06-21-2005, 05:39 PM
Actaully Ihave access to one right around the corner from my house!!!!

LOL

Hey sweetie !!! You guys need to come by the shop once in awhile...

Dont be strangers !

:partyman:

Shorty1
06-21-2005, 05:50 PM
We will soon enough.... Just have been busy.. Besides I have been having a great time doing a lot of the work.

Shayna :partyman:

nate
06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Yeah like having a lift makes you a good mechanic? haha.

Yea but do you have a lift? :finga:

Cue-Ball
06-21-2005, 07:16 PM
Nate,

That is not what makes you a good mechanic, but it sure does make it easy.

Dirk

oh yea Jerod is a good mechanic even without the lift.

Shorty1
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Ummm.. Who ever said anything about being a GOOD mechanic... I sure didn't. For me it is about learning, and being able to work on my own rig, well and Chris's too....

Shayna :butthead:

MikeyM
07-16-2005, 06:23 PM
I haven't seen Jerod in forever. How's your little one Jerod? Not to swipe the thread but we should have a brew and pizza night somewhere. I need to get back into the Jeep thing.

Mike.