PDA

View Full Version : dana 30 long or short pinion, BOM, gear swap headaches

paulkeith
06-16-2005, 03:12 PM
so..., as some of you surely know, in mid '96 jeep changed from the long pinion dana 30s to the short pinion tj style.

who has swapped their own gears on the 30, what was your bill of materials number, and what gears did you put in?

from dana's website, from what i can gather, i have the "94-96" zj axle based on my BOM (610473-5). This sounds to me like long pinion.

also, i've heard tell that spicer discontinued 4.56s for dana 30s? true?

just lookin for some answers
thanks
Paul

Swamp boy
06-17-2005, 12:03 AM
I dont know about Long or short pinion... But I know that grands have low pinion or std. rotation dana 30's ...

I am running a High pinion 30 now... With a 4:11 Yukon gears..

For a Grand cherokee you need ....Randys part number..
YG D30-456 D30 4.56 R&P

Here is the link to randys page.. He only list std. and reverse cut as options for the dana 30....

http://randysringandpinion.com/content/products/default.asp?vid=1&pid=4

Also... Can someone move this to Newbie tech... where it belongs...

:smt003

JpRngr
06-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Yes, ZJ's have low pinion 30's, but like he stated, sometime in 96, they changed from the long pinion to the shorter pinion like TJ's have. It DOES make a difference when ordering gears. Best bet is to call up someone like Randy's and have your BOM number and the tag that's attached to your front cover bolts. This should insure that you get the correct ones.

Corey

Kraqa
06-17-2005, 01:27 AM
Yes, ZJ's have low pinion 30's, but like he stated, sometime in 96, they changed from the long pinion to the shorter pinion like TJ's have. It DOES make a difference when ordering gears. Best bet is to call up someone like Randy's and have your BOM number and the tag that's attached to your front cover bolts. This should insure that you get the correct ones.

Corey

x2

i ran into this trying to put 97 TY 4.10 into my 94 d30.

althougth there ar enot standard years for the long and short pinion it seams as tho DC just mixed and matched as they have on every other part.

paulkeith
06-17-2005, 08:21 AM
I dont know about Long or short pinion...

Also... Can someone move this to Newbie tech... where it belongs...

hah, you dont even know the answer to my question, and then say it should be moved to newbie? i think intricate p/n differences such as this are about as un-newbie as it gets. hell, i've called randy's and drivetrain direct, and talked to kolak, and a few local shops, and get about a 50/50 answer of long or short. i spent about 4 days on the phone before even posting. not to mention randy's yukon's are korean-made crap.

i've got my BOM. i've called randy's. randys says "long pinion" but then tells me i've gotta rig up some kind combo between the crush sleeve and shim packs to get it working on my zj axle. nick (kolak) told me short pinion, and that its straightforward.

I want to know if i've got a long or short pinion, and which gearset i need. are there specific differences between the two pinions (ie how they're set up)

i was under the impression that the long pinion used a crush sleeve, and that the short pinion used a shim pack to set pinion preload. however, randy's told me they both use a crush sleeve. i just want a straight answer from someone who knows their chit.

Paul

LouisianaZJ
06-17-2005, 08:46 AM
www.peakempire.com he will know for sure

althouh all he sells is that "korean made crap" as you describe it

paulkeith
06-17-2005, 09:37 AM
i should rephrase. yukon, from what i can gather, i just a rebadge. you could get one of a whole number of actual brand of gears, including spicer, us gear, and whatever this brand is that's made in korea. basically it comes down to whoever yukon is buying from (ie lowest bidder) at that time. the guy on the phone at randy's r&p told me they sold gears manufactured in korea, which i personally do not like. i want US manf.

i was about 2 seconds from buying yukons before i found a few posts on pbb of guys who were not happy with them. some have gotten spicer gears in a yukon box, some have gotten these korean ones, some have gotten gears manufactured in italy. from what i can tell, precision or spicer seem the way to go; yukon is good if you get the italian made or spicer gears; genuine and randy's "value" are total crap.

if i could know for sure what brand of gears i would get through randy's/yukon/peak etc, i'd be fine...but apparently its a gamble.

Paul

JpRngr
06-17-2005, 06:33 PM
i was under the impression that the long pinion used a crush sleeve, and that the short pinion used a shim pack to set pinion preload.
Paul

Paul,
I believe you have that backwards. The long pinion has shims, the short has a crush sleeve. At least the long one I did last week had shims and the short pinion my buddy brought me had a crush sleeve. He, too, obviously ran into this problem when I went to do gears for him.

I went out and measured a short pinion'd housing I have out back and it measures right around 9" from the front cover mounting face to the lip where the pinion seal rides. A long pinion housing should be 1/2-1" longer.

Corey

Swamp boy
06-17-2005, 07:43 PM
Dana 30 = Newb crap ...Whether I know the answer or not .... :finga: :finga:

And the fact that none of the shops know makes me feel better about not knowing... :mrgreen:

:toimonst:

nate
06-18-2005, 02:00 AM
Yukon gears are Randy's brand of gears they make as far as I know. I know they are good gears, whatever they are. Setup nice and don't break easy.

Yukon, Precision, Reider, Dana/Ford Racing... all good gearsets IMO.

Swamp boy
06-18-2005, 02:57 AM
Yup.. I have had several sets of Yukon and had no problems... :smt003

paulkeith
06-20-2005, 10:40 AM
really? that makes it hard to shell out for the higher dollar sets. i wanted to go yukon due to the price....and then read all i could about em on pbb, and was turned away. did you set yours up yourself?

corey: that measurement = teh shit. i'll go check mine out.

Swamp boy
06-20-2005, 09:09 PM
I had mine set up by a friend .. It only took him about 2 hours per axle.. (The axles where out and on Jack stands..)

I dont personally know much about them but he said they set up easily and that was a sign of good gears..

All I really know is I have had them for about 2 years and had no issues what-so-ever...

Hope that helps...

Carl

JpRngr
06-21-2005, 12:29 AM
I have set up numerous sets of Yukons and have yet to have a problem.

Corey

Trancezj
06-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I've bought 3 yukon r&p's from randys... Never had a problem

paulkeith
06-22-2005, 07:39 AM
so....i measured my front diff, and got right around 10.5" from the machined surface for the cover to the back (end towards rear of vehicle) of the housing. i'm figuring this confirms long pinion?

paulkeith
06-23-2005, 03:01 PM
so, after hours of searching and reading and a dozen phone calls, i've finally got it nailed down. i think. :rolleyes:

for the long pinion style dana 30s in zj's, or what dana calls "1992-1996" zj, your preload is set with a crush sleeve. it is possible to convert this to shims, and shim-style-preload is required to run 4.10s or 4.56s.

the parts required to swap gears are as follows:

-carrier (if currently running 3.55s. not my case)

-long pinion style r&p

-cj style shim-pack-preload overhaul kit.
replace the inner (fowardmost) pinion bearing in the CJ kit from timken 02872/02820 to timken m86647/m86610.

type part#s in here to find specs:

http://www.timken.com/timken_ols/bearings/GST/web_gst/BearingSearchTRB.asp

dana/spicer p/n for 4.56 gears: 706503-5X this gearset is no longer made my spicer, but can apparently still be had with some hunting.

this is supposed to do the trick. will be purchasing this afternoon, and installing when i get em in the mail. will advise if this ends up working or not.

so between superior and yukon, is there any appreciable difference? i thought i could save $ on the yukons, but looks like shipping is going to make up the difference.

Paul