PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

Troy
06-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm currently running Rancho 5012's or whatever the long ones are. I don't run any swaybars. I don't like the rebound on the Rancho, plus I have to run them upside down in the rear which doesn't work. I get lots of "bucking" sometimes when trying to climb and I have to back off the gas (may be due to running them upside down in the rear).

Anyone have any good suggestions for a decent set of shocks (that can run canister up) to replace these (may just do the rear to replace the Ranchos that are can up)? Take into consideration that my rig is set up for 32.91 extended and 18.94 compressed.

nate
06-15-2005, 08:08 PM
I know Skyjacker platimuns you can run upside down. Also close to $100 a shock. :rolleyes:

Kraqa
06-15-2005, 08:36 PM
the "bucking" AKA hopping should not be from your shocks that is your rear suspension setup. you mostlikly have to much anty-squat and your wheels are tryign to ride under you vehicle then they loose traction and jump back giving you a hop motion.

try runnign your setup through the 4 link calc and see what AS numbers it pulls.

Troy
06-16-2005, 06:46 AM
try runnign your setup through the 4 link calc and see what AS numbers it pulls.

I'll run the numbers.

JeepinHank
06-16-2005, 09:42 AM
Here's a screen shot of a shock chart that I got from somewhere. If I could remember where I'd got it, I'd post a link, but I can't.

http://www.lewis-lewis-cpas.com/Jeepin/Writeups/Misc/Shock_Chart.jpg

I condensed it down to the ones that are close to your ext / comp measurements. Not sure which ones can be run either way vs those that that have an up / down requirement, but it should at least give you an idea of some of the shocks out there.

HTH

Hank

Troy
06-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Hank.

Kraqa, I spoke with my friend that helped to design the rear suspension and he thinks that the AS it right around 100%, maybe a little more. Another buddy of mine says he doesn't feel that the cause is AS but rather too soft springs coupled with bad shocks.

Nonetheless I'll do the AS numbers when I have a chance and let you know.

Kraqa
06-16-2005, 01:32 PM
if its a slight wheel giggle or i guess you could say hop. Really fast and not much off the ground then yes that could be shocks. If it is a heavy hop like dave on double wammmy then i woudl bet on AS.

BigDaveZJ
06-16-2005, 01:56 PM
If it is a heavy hop like dave on double wammmy then i woudl bet on AS.

:finga:

I still say if I could kept the tires on the ground I would've made it!!!

doyll
07-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Back when I was into off-road racing we used KYB Gas-a-just with great results on VW buggies and bajas. I ran them (still do on some) on my street rigs and 4x4's.
A buddy with a mid 80's bronco with 30's put them on and had lots of problems with wheel hop .. especially on washboard gravel roads and throttle... until he changed to michelin AT's.. and hop vanished!!
All we could figure was it was a combo of valving, tire flex, and coil rate.
That's my .02 worth.

Kraqa
07-28-2005, 01:21 PM
i wouldn't exactly call driving on a wash board road wheel hope. I'm thinking more of step on the gas and your wheel start dancing and you spin your tires.

doyll
07-28-2005, 04:44 PM
"Wheel Hop" is the act of wheel bouncing up and down. for whatever reason.. All I'm saying is it might have something to do with the ability of the shock to stop the harmonic that is causing the bounce.. It's tire flex and spring that cause hop and shock that tries to control it. Mabye a different valving in shock or a stiffer shock. Maybe even changing tire pressure a pound or two. :supz:

Oh! and I've seen different shocks STOP WHEEL HOP on the drag strip! Isn't that kinda what you are talking about? :finga:

Karqa, I didn't say anything about what you had posted, only what years of experience have taught me. :supz:

Kraqa
07-28-2005, 06:10 PM
i'm not saying your wrong nor am i saying i'm right. But this is a 4x4 msg board and then your talking about wheel hop on a 4x4 generally you are not talking about driving on a washboard road.

i'm sure there are varying situations when wheel hope will happen. but most cases of wheel hop peopel here will have will usually not be fixed my shocks. instant center, and weight distribution causes inproper anti-squat for the vehicle and terrain is the normal cause.

doyll
07-28-2005, 07:15 PM
Okay Kraqa, You Da Man!! :finga: :prayer: I'm new here, but you are sure trying to throw your wieght arround here. :axe: I offer knowledge I've gained from building, driving, designing, and racing on and off road vehicles over more years then you've probably been alive and you puff up like a banty hen over her brood of chicks because I'm not going "Yes Sir, Yes Sir" and hanging on your every word?? :axe:

Wash board roads are all over.. Seems I've see some on wheelin trails too... But You Da Man. and the only wheelin that counts on this forum is crawling over rocks??? I doubt it.. Ups.. forgot agien... You Da Man...

I guess you might have some self esteem issues or somethng.., but I think my input is as valid as yours any day. :supz:

Why don't you go "crawl" behind that bush you're wizzing on and give it a rest. :supz:

Kraqa
07-28-2005, 07:28 PM
wow buddy,

i think you took what i wrote the way. I'm not trying to act all high and mighty. I was simply just explaining where i'm comming from. Bring on the race tech. i know practicly nothing about it. I think that you should just relax. no ones asking for anyone to bow down.

:butthead: :toimonst: :butthead:

doyll
07-28-2005, 07:37 PM
:mrgreen: :supz: :partyman: :supz: :smt003

Kraqa, I haven't seem many of your post, but you do "seem" :smt002 to know what you are talking about . :prayer:

And I do like your avator! :butthead: