PDA

View Full Version : carnage list

BigDaveZJ
06-14-2005, 09:27 PM
So since this year seemed to have more carnage than any previous year and damn near everybody raised their hand when Zebra asked who broke something, who broke what???

My list:

both front UCA's taco'd
driver rear UCA bracket ripped off frame
bent 8.8 shaft

all of those happened on Double Whammy best I can tell

Also broke:
exhaust mount from the cross-member
the glass housing from one of my Hella 500's.

Still drove home beautiful too which was nice!! The glass housing is kind of a funny story too. We were on Spike somewhere, and Matt was in front of me. A couple hundred yards earlier I had tried to tap his Jeep with my bumper, but he drove away just in time. So in a slightly off camber spot I went for round 2. Crept up on him, and I hear glass shatter. Matt's door comes flying open as does mine, both of us are like WTF and my light had hit his spare tire and shattered the glass. OOPS!!!

Cody
06-14-2005, 10:21 PM
2 3/4" grade 8 bolts
steering box (well, I broke an ear off of the steering box, but the other 2 bolts held and got me off the trail)
1 hub (big surprise?)

thats all I know of

Cody

OverkillZJ
06-14-2005, 11:00 PM
2 front shocks blown (did that today, dont know if it counts as GSW.) Got airborne on a trail in Arches, that was fun :rock:

-A few new dents / scratches
-shot the heims on my rear sway bar (need to figure some other linking system out.
-The electrical in my doors no longer works very much, all the wires are frayed
-shattered rear tailight a lil' more
-Screwed up my steering column pretty good
-possibly shot my steering pump, it's whining like no tomorrow
- Oh ya, I taco'd my unibody quite a bit. Putting the doors back on was like putting a square peg in a round hole.

My driveline and suspension held up though, and that's all I really care about.

Pitch
06-14-2005, 11:01 PM
1 driveshaft (TC yoke end)-fixed by Tom Woods himself
1 slightlymangled TC front shaft yoke
3 Gr 8 5/16th bolts
1 hole in TC

But, the zip ties holding my transfer case skid in place held up just fine :supz:

PassRunnerZJ
06-14-2005, 11:32 PM
Chrunched and cracked the muffler around the engine side pipe - Steel Bender
Bent rear LCA and bracket (nothing undrivable) - Top of the World
Bent T/C skid plate a bit and bent the uni-body mounting area a little more - all three trail days
Scratched rock rails - broke rocks :yawinkle: - Steel Bender
Scratched rear bumper :yawinkle: - Steel Bender

I was going to fix the muffler today, but the boss said we were going fishing on the Gunnison tomorrow (mental health sick day), got to get stoneflys :supz:

KevinM
06-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Dave's not kidding, there was way too much breakage.

Myself included, which is why nobody saw my jeep at GSW this year unless you were in the back half of the Prichett group on Thurs.

I broke an ear on my steering box and sheared a bolt on the front side. Got it to Moab 4x4 outpost where I realized I threw a cap on my axle shaft u joint that bent out the ears on the shaft.

I also learned to never drive through Vegas, towards LA on a Sunday. That sucked.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-15-2005, 12:06 AM
1 driveshaft (TC yoke end)-fixed by Tom Woods himself
1 slightlymangled TC front shaft yoke
3 Gr 8 5/16th bolts
1 hole in TC

But, the zip ties holding my transfer case skid in place held up just fine :supz:

I've got a few high-res carnage pics of your driveshaft/tcase carnage if you want them.

ROKN ZJ
06-15-2005, 12:58 AM
I lost the nut for the I-bolt that holds my rear winch cable up.

LouisianaZJ
06-15-2005, 01:57 AM
BigDaveZJ-

1- ball
1- chain

:weedman: :rock: :weedman: :rock:

SCAMPER ZJ
06-15-2005, 11:05 PM
I bent my drag link pretty bad on Golden Crack. I think it was already a little crooked beforehand because after coming back from Moab the week before the steering was pulling more to the right and the alignment guy tried to tell me my axle housing was bent. I'm pretty sure now it was the drag link, because the truss welded onto the housing makes it pretty strong and I certainly hadn't been hot-dogging it anywhere. Steering seems to be a lot better now too.

We diagnosed it at the driver's meeting for Steel Bender, and I thought for sure the game was over for me. This being my first GSW, the thing that blew my mind was that just when I was getting ready to head back to the motel, Scott came up to me with a SPARE drag link! Unbelieveable. He's letting me borrow it until I get my new setup from ORO (http://www.offroadonly.com/products/new/u-turn) (Kevin's going to hook me up, and I ordered a steering box brace (http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/zj/zj_steeringgearbrace.html) from him too since I'm paranoid what with everyone breaking theirs).

http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB0251.jpg
http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB0314.jpg

We spent probably 3-4 hours the day before waiting for people to do trail fixes, so I don't feel TOO guilty about holding everyone up that morning :yawinkle: - but I'm still grateful. It was a fun trail! :smt003

Colorado 5.9
06-15-2005, 11:13 PM
Bad vibes in the rear coming home. Hoped it was just one of the rear tires that threw a weight but I had all four tires balanced today. Still vibes. :smt010 So I guess it's probably one of the axle shafts bent just a bit. Oh, I also snapped the front upper control arm bolt in the parking lot. :smt003

SCAMPER ZJ
06-15-2005, 11:14 PM
MORE CARNAGE!!!
http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB0042.jpg

zjmike4
06-15-2005, 11:24 PM
my exhaust fell off from the catback, bent the tailpipe in half so I could take the hole thing out since it wouldn't go back in. Kinda cool that I got to bend some steel on steelbender

my track bar bracket broke in half. had it re-welded. then the whole perch for the rear track bar and drivers UCA broke completely off the axle

my rear drivers window wouldn't roll up in the rainstorm saturday, then got the jeep undercover at the end of the storm and it rolled right up.

LouisianaZJ
06-15-2005, 11:24 PM
d44?

Krash80
06-16-2005, 12:00 AM
I BROKE THE 14-BOLT!!! :finga:

I actually think it had less to do with the wheeling and was more the effect of my suspension design, but either way it was some interesting carnage. The passenger side tube just rotated in the housing after the spot welds broke...it should be salvageable. I tried rotating it back on the trail with no luck, so I yanked the rear driveshaft and finished the trail in front-wheel-drive with a few tugs from Cody and Matt over the bigger obstacles.

It's funny how the the very last thing i expected the break was what actually ended the weekend for the Trashcan.

-Ron-

ROKN ZJ
06-16-2005, 12:22 AM
Bad vibes in the rear coming home. Hoped it was just one of the rear tires that trew a wieght but I had all four tires balanced today. Still vibes. :smt010 So I guess it's probably one of the axle shafts bent just a bit. Oh, I also snapped the front upper control arm bolt in the parking lot. :smt003

I'd check all your control arm bolts.

Bustin' Loose
06-16-2005, 12:31 AM
BigDaveZJ-

1- ball
1- chain

:weedman: :rock: :weedman: :rock:

Hey!! I resemble that remark!!! :finga: :butthead: :smt002

Sandy R
06-16-2005, 12:49 AM
*snapped cb antenna
*arb switch died (4x4 Outpost had the new style and replaced them Wednesday)
*arb compressor sprung an unrepairable leak
*front driver's side wheel bearings gave out on my way home which then took out my rotor and brakes on I-15. Sucked driving around southern Utah Sunday afternoon with no brakes looking for a store with a hub assembly. Finally found a Checkers in St. George and replaced my hub assembly and then found a Sears to resurface my rotor and replace the brake pad. Ahhhh!!!!
*Still have 2-3 more ugly noises that I haven't had time to hunt down.

Dayum, I had a good time! :smt002

Kraqa
06-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Bad vibes in the rear coming home. Hoped it was just one of the rear tires that trew a wieght but I had all four tires balanced today. Still vibes. :smt010 So I guess it's probably one of the axle shafts bent just a bit. Oh, I also snapped the front upper control arm bolt in the parking lot. :smt003

Zap Straps on your drive shaft?

chadjans
06-16-2005, 02:04 AM
I help fix alot of crap:

1. Welded Dave's unibody, made it more like swiss cheese though.
2. Help Cody tighten a bolt on his steering box.
3. Watched Keith do all the work on his broken rear shaft
4. Was spotting bitch the whole weekend.
5. My head from Dave's CB antenna and "cage".

Chad

Texas ZJ1
06-16-2005, 11:10 AM
I snapped 3 bolts off the rear trac bar bracket.

Luckily, dave's box of bolts shopping mart are holding great.

Hunter

Bustin' Loose
06-16-2005, 12:44 PM
I snapped 3 bolts off the rear trac bar bracket.

Luckily, dave's box of bolts shopping mart are holding great.

Hunter

So, Hunter...Dave and I want to know if you too found the Vicky's tag from one of my bra's that somehow made it's way into Dave's box's of bolts? Dave handed it to me on Tuesday and said "look what was in the box of bolts. Wonder if Hunter found it too?" :mrgreen:

I'm thinking it made it's way in there after your "shopping spree", while the box was residing in my duffle bag that I use for overnight trips...

LouisianaZJ
06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
dave's idea of a good time involves womens panties and bra, a midget, astrolube, and a RE joint tool... so ive heard

Texas ZJ1
06-16-2005, 07:45 PM
I can neither confirm nor deny that there was a bra tag anywhere to be found in any of the two cardboard boxes of bolts. The confusing part was the voltmeter attached to the lightbulb....that was just a bit outside the "norm" :rolleyes:

Hunter

Texas ZJ1
06-16-2005, 07:46 PM
LoseranaZJs idea of a good time is the RE tool, astrolube and a raccoon.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Hunter

Bustin' Loose
06-16-2005, 09:27 PM
LoseranaZJs idea of a good time is the RE tool, astrolube and a raccoon.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Hunter

At least Dave idea of a good time inclueds the Bra and panties :mrgreen:

And Hunter, I'm glad you were spared the moment of confusion that Dave had when he found the tag in question, turned to me and said, "Babe, wonder how this got in here?"

Texas ZJ1
06-19-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm just glad he saw me leave my room and walk across the parking lot to your side before he found the tag. Dave might have put the Puma on me.

Hunter

superfred
06-19-2005, 09:11 AM
I think I actually straightened some thing out on mine. It's been driving smoother than before the trip. betta knock on wood huh...

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-19-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm just glad he saw me leave my room and walk across the parking lot to your side before he found the tag. Dave might have put the Puma on me.

Hunter

raaarr!!!

BigDaveZJ
06-19-2005, 02:33 PM

Hunter

I didn't even find it til we got back home!

Mtn WJ
06-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Well smiley took some early carnage and but still holding himself in place.

Ohh yea I broke two rear drivers side axles in two days. Looks like I have a bent housing. Must have bent the housing at the Pre-run when I broke the spider gears in my ARB.

I am planning on my axle swap and it looks like it will be a D44 from a late model Rodeo. The 8.8 is a close second.

Keith

SCAMPER ZJ
06-20-2005, 12:38 PM
That was a real heartbreaker, Keith! I can't believe it happened on the first trail on the first day. Guess we'll have to do Golden Spike at GSW '06!

Stan

http://www.jeepsite.net/MOAB0014thumb.jpg

rrubio
06-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Hey Keith keep us posted on the axle swap.I want to get 33's but with the weak Dana 35 Im not going to take any chances on busting the axles.Did you get the WJ home?Or is it still in MOAB?

Mtn WJ
06-20-2005, 02:29 PM
My Jeep is still in Moab. I had Cub Scout Camp this last weekend and will be going to Moab this Saturday to get it.

I will keep you posted. I am trying to have both ABS and Speedo work but my priority will be speedo. Worst case scenario will be to run the speedo sensors on the front tone rings and pull the ABS fuse. Since my Jeep is in Moab I have not been able to count the front axle notches but from memory it seems they have the same number as the rearones.

The Rodeo 44 is the same width as the WJ but is has 6 lugs. I am running spacers now with my stock rims therefore I can use spacers with 6-5 lug conversion to run my rims. Otherwise the 8.8 is only 59.4 and I will need to put 2 inch spacers on each side plus run new rims to get my back space correct. Both axles come with 4.10s which is the ratio I have already. I found a used Rodeo Iron D44 with an ARB but the guy is out of town and I have not looked at it too close yet. My guess is I will be able to mil and press my tone rings onto it because they have their rings on both axles like a WJ does. The 8.8 has one ring on the ring gear but others have moded them to have them on the axle ends. A couple other tricks may work like filing every other notch on the 8.8 tone ring and then run a true speed to correct the final count. Not my favorite idea but maybe what I need to do.

The quest continues. I need to save up some time and money but want to get it done by end of July to be able to wheel a little this summer. Otherwise it will be fishing for us at the local resevoirs where my Bug or Volvo can reach.

OverkillZJ
06-20-2005, 11:37 PM
My Jeep is still in Moab.

It's OK Keith, so am I, I'll keep an eye on it ;) :partyman:

Although I've been in Arizona for the last week since GSW, I just ended up right back here again, haha

JpRngr
06-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Matt,
You still gonna be out there on Sat? That's when we're going to get Keith's Jeep.

Corey

OverkillZJ
06-21-2005, 12:57 AM
Matt,
You still gonna be out there on Sat? That's when we're going to get Keith's Jeep.

Corey

Nope, I'm just passing through here ont he way to CO this time. Mark and I are considering coming back though, we're debating between CO wheeling or coming back here. Hmmmmmmmm... decisions decisions...

Mtn WJ
06-21-2005, 11:14 AM
Maybe you can get a trailer and tow my WJ back to Denver. Then Corey and I can sip a couple of Brews on Saturday instead of driving back and forth to Moab. See ya Saturday.

Seriously thanks for keeping an eye on it. I thought you were going to CA instead of AZ. I will be at the Rubicon in July but with a Rented Exploder. Should I try it?

You should spend some time in Colorado I am sure several Grand Owners will be wheeling the next couple of weeks. Prime season is now and of course my Jeep is down. I suggest you spend a day or two in the Buena Vista area and run Chinamans, Holy Cross and perhaps of few others in the area. Chinamans is one of my all time favorite trails. You can make it as hard as you want or as easy as a stock rig can do.

OverkillZJ
06-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Ran Chinamans and Holy cross last year, made it rather hard :rolleyes:

Beaua vista is still up for grabs if the snows melted a bit, haven't heard of anyone making it through this year yet, so I'm told.

I think it's gonna be CO wheeling just for the sake of gas :)

the Con got nixed when I realized I bent my steering column and my steering pump is about shot, as well as a taco'd unibody. I want to stick to things that are easier to get my busted rig off of!