PDA

View Full Version : Switch HP30 or change gears in LP30

Hkoch45
06-14-2005, 03:55 PM
Just want to know whats going to be more price effected. I know have lp30 with 3.53 gears and need 4.10 gears. So should I change gears in the lp30 or just look for an hp30 with 4.10 gears. I call randys for a price on gears. I just can't seem to fined a hp30 locally.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-14-2005, 04:25 PM
if you could find a HP30 around you that already has 4.10's (I think the 4 cylinder 5 speeds had them) it might be cheaper than paying for new gears, install kit, installation, etc. You can use your calipers and rotors from the lp30 to save some $$$.

LouisianaZJ
06-14-2005, 04:39 PM
hp30 is stronger... and cooler

Hkoch45
06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Yeah I've priced both ways and yeah HP30 is the cheapest after buying everything for the lp30 to change gears out. The thing is I just replaced the long cv axle shaft and replaced all front brake components on my LP. I also heard that some say the cv axle shafts are stonger than the u-joint axle shafts. But what years XJ hp30 would I be looking for. Thanks

robselina
06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
LOL, no, CVs are NOT stronger than the u-joint axles. ANY of the u-joint D30 axles. If you're not blowing up CVs, you definitely don't need to worry about damaging your R&P though so maybe the HP isn't worth it for you? what's your setup?

As for your brakes, everything except the R&P on your LPD30 will bolt right up on an HP....

LouisianaZJ
06-14-2005, 06:15 PM
95?-2000 XJ have a hp with the stronger ujoints

your hubs and brakes will swap over, hubs have to match the brake stuff yrs

pre 95 xj's only some (those with ABS) have the bigger ujoints

anyways 4.11 is muchmore common on TJ lp30's

Jim311
06-14-2005, 09:04 PM
I was talking to a couple friends of mine last week about how I thought the CV shafts were weak even though I'd never broken them. They said that they had heard otherwise. Which makes sense, because a CV won't bind like a ujoint will when it's cut hard towards one direction. So somebody explain to me exactly why the CVs are weaker? I've always read around here that they were weak, and thus, I converted my ZJ to 297 XJ shafts. But my friends make a good point... CVs don't bind up like ujoints do, so at the very least they have that advantage, right?

OverkillZJ
06-14-2005, 09:17 PM
CV's are about as strong as 260's (completely worthless). I don't understand the mechanics of them well enough to make an argument as to why, all I know is everytime I tried running a trail with one, it went BOOM. Much much more often than ujointed shafts.

Swamp boy
06-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Ditto.. I broke a few CV's when I was only running 31's.. When I switched to U joint shafts I quite breaking.. When I went to 33's I upgraded shafts but never broke the old ones...

Jim311
06-15-2005, 07:39 AM
Well, one good thing about the CVs is that they're easily repairable when they break. If a ujoint lets go your outers are likely to be shot. Not so with the CVs. Did you guys break CVs while you had the wheel turned one direction?

OverkillZJ
06-15-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, one good thing about the CVs is that they're easily repairable when they break. If a ujoint lets go your outers are likely to be shot. Not so with the CVs. Did you guys break CVs while you had the wheel turned one direction?

....Easily reparable? What are you talking about? Every one I took out shattered and sent parts allover the place. Straight, turned, didn't matter, theyr'e weak.

Jim311
06-15-2005, 05:46 PM

....Easily reparable? What are you talking about? Every one I took out shattered and sent parts allover the place. Straight, turned, didn't matter, theyr'e weak.

They're easy as hell to rebuild. Of course when it shatters its going to send pieces all over the place! Those are the parts you REPLACE when it breaks! I'm willing to bet a CV rebuild kit is a hell of a lot cheaper than new inner/outer shafts, too. That joint should go well before the shaft itself does.