PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Coming Home From GSW

JohnBoulderCO
06-13-2005, 03:21 AM
Just got home.

There was a blizzard from Vail to after the Eisenhower tunnel.
The tunnel was closed in both directions due to accidents. I went over highway 6.

Two semi trucks spun, one was two trucks in front of me and it went in the other lane before stopping. This all happened in near white out conditions at the top of the pass. For those that don’t know this is a narrow two land road that winds over the Rockies and there are cliffs along this road, it can be a long way down if you go over.

I never would have gone up, except it was clear at A-Basin, before you start up to the top. I made it through fine and it was smooth sailing after getting past Loveland Ski resort. I think they closed highway 6 shortly after that.

Tom Z was heading home the same way. I hope he didn’t get stuck in that mess and spent the night on the pass or out on Highway 70.

John

BigDaveZJ
06-13-2005, 03:23 AM
holy shit!! That's pretty crazy! Hopefully we won't have any issues when we head through tomorrow! How was the spool doing in the snow???

JohnBoulderCO
06-13-2005, 03:26 AM
It worked fine, no issues, but I wasn't driving fast. One truck stopped in front of me and couldn't get started again, no traction. I went around him and continued on. Good thing I had a Jeep!

Texas ZJ1
06-13-2005, 10:56 AM
We went through there yesterday afternoon and it was just starting to snow.

Hunter

JohnBoulderCO
06-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Glad you made it before the snow! There were cars going up Vail pass at only 15mph with their hazard lights on because it was dumping so hard.

JpRngr
06-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Sounds like we left at a good time yesterday. It was snowing and hard to see going up and down Eisenhower pass, but the roads weren't slick at all. I don't think we saw sun from Grand Junction until we hit Denver. Made it home in 5-6 hours.

Corey

Z
06-13-2005, 02:08 PM
I made it back okay. I started climbing the hill to the Eisenhower tunnel at 7:30 pm. 1/2 way up it started to get icy, so I put my 231 in 4WD, reduced speed to 35 mph and had no problems.

As I was exiting the tunnel, there were signs warning that the road was icy. DUH! They knew enough about the road conditions to turn on the "Icy Road" warning signs, but did they have a SINGLE sand truck out? NOOOOOOOOOOOO. :smt072

I'm sure glad I didn't have to go over Loveland pass in that snow storm!

BigDaveZJ
06-14-2005, 12:20 PM
It was nice and sunny yesterday!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-14-2005, 12:56 PM
It was nice and sunny yesterday!

x2 on that, made for a nice drive.