PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about hood scoops

TrojanMan
06-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I'm thinking about picking up some sheet metal and building a hood scoop for my ZJ. I want to get some cooling in there and I can't find any decent looking hood louvers at any junkyards around here. Give me the skinny. I know I have to design it so that water doesn't get in there and fawk anything up. Tell me about where to cut the hood, any protection I can build in against water damage, etc.

I'd really like to have this designed and built by the end of the week, so all fast (quality) responses are greatly appreciated.

Jim311
06-13-2005, 07:15 AM
I don't really think waterproofness (I just invented a new word) is going to be that much of an issue. If the scoop is in the center it will most likely just be over your valve cover, right? It'd have to be raining pretty damn hard to bother anything under there, and if your Jeep is sunk so far in the water that your hood scoop is pulling water in, you've got other problems :mrgreen:

2drezq
06-13-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm not posing as an expert or anything, but it seems that the real issue is not getting more air, cool or otherwise, in. It's getting the hot air OUT. At highway speed a scoop may or may not do anything, and on the trail at low speed it will probably just act as a vent and let hot air out. I've pretty much decided to put a set of buick turbo hood vents in this summer.

Ken L
06-13-2005, 10:56 AM
How about just pulling the rubber weather seal off the cowl by the back edge of the hood?

LouisianaZJ
06-13-2005, 01:24 PM
see sig

yeah, its for an XJ, but you get the idea

Swamp boy
06-13-2005, 10:45 PM
You can do the old cop car trick....

Put some washers between your hood and the hinge and remove the afore mentioned gasket.. It will allow alot of air to flow out.. thats what you really need.. Get the hot air out from under there and you are set...

TrojanMan
06-14-2005, 01:03 AM
You can do the old cop car trick....

Put some washers between your hood and the hinge and remove the afore mentioned gasket.. It will allow alot of air to flow out.. thats what you really need.. Get the hot air out from under there and you are set...

Not a bad idea, a ghetto cowl hood :mrgreen:

*edit* How many/how big washers are we talking about?

LouisianaZJ
06-14-2005, 01:13 AM
1/2"- 1" tall

TrojanMan
06-14-2005, 03:44 AM
How much of a ghetto crack do you think there would be if I used 1"?

LouisianaZJ
06-14-2005, 03:51 AM
i would guess 1"
:finga:

Swamp boy
06-14-2005, 08:34 AM
We did it to a buddys FSJ .... You really couldnt tell...

It is done to most of the cop cars here in the south.. Noone ever notices... :smt003

I would go with 1/2 to 3/4 to see how you like it....

SuicideTireZJ
06-14-2005, 06:59 PM
I just did mine a couple days ago after I kept overheating on Carnage in Boulder and had to pull over every 100 feet or so. :axe:

Just bought two dryer vents at the local hardware store, painted them, axed two huge holes in the hood, and droped them in place. Right now it's held in place with sheetmetal screws but I'm going to move to bolts soon.

Easy as cake. You can roast a chicken over the vent on a hot day and even with the AC on full blast cruising down the highway, my Jeep won't even touch 210 when before it would overheat just moving down the highway.

Here's what it looks like.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/ZJBuilder/1589e187c7ca.jpg

cwm
06-15-2005, 12:01 AM
I Just did the labaron vents tonight. Worked pretty good I need to pull them of and paint them still.
Mine ran cool down the road but in stop and go traffic and when crawling with the AC on it would get pretty hot,enough to shut the AC off.
And when its over 100 no AC sucks!!!