PDA

View Full Version : So has it been mutually decided that the auto>manual

Jim311
06-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Swap is a bad idea, or just not practical? Because I'm really tired of my damn slushy ass transmission that hasn't felt right for the last 20k miles. It just doesn't feel like I can put any damn power to the ground. Once again, searches at NAGCA brought up millions of unrelated topics that I don't feel like wading through tonight. So what is the verdict? Isn't Swampy in the process of converting his trans over?

Jim311
06-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Title is sorta confusing. I'm wondering if swapping out my automatic transmission for a manual transmission is feasible.

TrojanMan
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
KillerZJ on JU did it, he's on here as 5 speed ZJ or something like that.

Overall I wouldn't do it. Get yourself a shift kit, that'll make your tranny alot different.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Harry did his and it worked out pretty good. Maybe its not your tranny?

Jim311
06-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Harry did his and it worked out pretty good. Maybe its not your tranny?

Enh, at 130K miles I'm not sure how much "goody" it's got left. I had the bands adjusted today and some new fluid put into it. It doesn't have any weird shifting issues anymore, but it still lacks the balls it used to have. The only other thing I could think of is the torque convertor, because the new motor has had practically everything on it replaced.

LouisianaZJ
06-07-2005, 10:41 PM
gears
/ thread :finga:

btw, swampy has the old tranny out and that's about it. i think he has found a donor trans and t/c tho

harriet used an AX15 on his 4.slo, not sure how that would wear on a 5.2

Jim311
06-07-2005, 11:16 PM
I was thinking I could find a manual tranny out of a Dakota.

I doubt a shift kit will help a slipping tranny much :D

Jim311
06-07-2005, 11:17 PM
I also have 4.56 gears sitting in my garage right now, along with an 8.8 to put them in. Just don't wanna take on the task of an axle swap. I'm tired of wrenching for now.. the engine swap took enough outta me! Gonna take some time to wheel and save some cash and hopefully get a tow/DD rig and *THEN* take on the axle swap. I also want a NP231.

PassRunnerZJ
06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
After we did a full fluid change w/filter and band adjustment my auto firmed right up and has been great since then. Did the fluid change around 140k and I have around 152k now. We set the bands adjustments to the specs from the factory service manual. I'm still thrilled with the auto in the ZJ--WJ too--and I thought that I'd never want an auto as I grew up driving manuals. Doing the trails here is a lot easier with the auto ZJ than my brother's manual XJ. IMHO

zjeepin
06-08-2005, 02:24 PM
i swapped my 4.0 to manual about 2 years ago now, and then told harry how to do it. I haven't looked back once, it even pulled DD duty for a year after the swap and i still love every minute of driving it. I wheel the shit out of it too.

this subject has been beaten to fucking death about the 5.2 and i think the best way to make it happen is swpping in a dakota/ram 5.2 with the trans already on it. It aint that hard to cut a hole in your floor and i can tell you where to get the rest of the parts you need and make it go again.

Jim311
06-08-2005, 05:50 PM
How is the Dakota/Ram 5.2L any different in terms of how the tranny mounts? The bell housings are the same, I know that for sure. Funny that the subject has been "beaten to death" and yet nobody I know of has actually done the swap. Which either means the benefit to doing the said swap was negligible, OR the swap was impossible or too difficult to be worthwhile. My only real concern is how the tranny mates to my wiring harness, if at all.

LouisianaZJ
06-08-2005, 07:37 PM
i think most of the differnces have to do with the stater

pass side on jeeps. drivers side on dodge

Swamp boy
06-08-2005, 08:18 PM
I have a dodge 435 that I am working on getting installed now.. It is possible without a doubt.. I know A guy who has a TJ with a 5.2 from a grand and a 435 behind it.. Soooo... Definatly doable.. Also the output on a 435 needs a 23 spline input.. Henceforth the Grands Transfercase will mount up..

I will have a write up and pics as soon as I am done..

Be patient young Grasshopper... All will come in time... :smt003

Oh and just so you know .. I am using Cherokee pedals and master cylinder and hydrolic bearing from a ford .. I will have all the specs when I do the writeup.... :supz:

LouisianaZJ
06-08-2005, 11:45 PM
I also have 4.56 gears sitting in my garage right now, along with an 8.8 to put them in. Just don't wanna take on the task of an axle swap. I'm tired of wrenching for now.. the engine swap took enough outta me! Gonna take some time to wheel and save some cash and hopefully get a tow/DD rig and *THEN* take on the axle swap. I also want a NP231.

well i was thinkin something was wrong with my aw4 with like 3.55 and 33's. crappy shifitng, felt like i had 60hp. I had to floor it to get going from a stop. I swaped in 4.56 rear end and the correct speedo gear and immediately the trans started shifting at the right points, firmer shifts, and felt like i had alot more torque

Jim311
06-09-2005, 07:20 AM

well i was thinkin something was wrong with my aw4 with like 3.55 and 33's. crappy shifitng, felt like i had 60hp. I had to floor it to get going from a stop. I swaped in 4.56 rear end and the correct speedo gear and immediately the trans started shifting at the right points, firmer shifts, and felt like i had alot more torque

I guess I've gotta get in my 8.8 in the rear then. I have all the parts basically, just haven't felt like doing the swap.

kevinc
06-14-2005, 04:36 AM
The NV4500 is a sweet swap tranny, deep first gear of 6.34:1 and a .73:1 OD. Came behind Dodge rams, dakotas, durangos (i think) behind the 5.2. can use dodge or jeep 231 (23 spline output) . The dodge hydro clutch is on the driver side and the chevy nv4500 hydro clutch is passenger side. I'm not sure of the clearance issues for the front d-shaft w/ the d-side clutch fork. Been looking ito it myself........BTW, Advance and JB Conversions have adapters and more info.

Kevin C. :partyman: