PDA

View Full Version : Upside down shocks?

nate
06-07-2005, 01:07 PM
I messed up when I welded it my shock brackets, and used a shock that had a smaller "can" than the ones I'm really using.

Ok, find out that I can't fit the shock I will run with the can down. Is there a problem with running the shocks upside down? Should I look to make some new shock mounts, or will they be ok?

Mtn WJ
06-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Basically you will not have a problem either way. The thing to look out for is if you have still have the rubber sleaves on the shocks put some holes down by the top of the can to allow water to leak out. Otherwise you will build up water in the sleave and it may cause corrosion later.

By the way I had a great time in Alaska. Even though it was all work and not much play. I will be back.

nathaniel
06-07-2005, 02:47 PM
Depends on the shocks. Some shocks can be ran up or down. Others will not work upside down.

BigDaveZJ
06-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Depends on the shocks. Some shocks can be ran up or down. Others will not work upside down.

Yup. I know Rusty's Hydro's have an up and down. I think the gas charged shocks it doesnt matter IIRC.

zjeepin
06-07-2005, 04:14 PM
the best idea is to contact the manufacturer of the shocks you plan to use and ask them if they can be run upside down or not. it all depends on the valving in the shock, i run skyjacker nitros (cuz there cheap) and i know they cannot be run upside down....

anyway, what did you screw up? when i made my shock mounts i ended up grinding the bracket for clearance. i left too much steel between the drilled hole and the top of the bracket so the ring wouldn't go far enough down in the bracket for the bolt to go through. hth :partyman:

LouisianaZJ
06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
werd

DT3000 ride like chit inverted

Jim311
06-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm runnin DT3000s upside down. Rides fine. Too lazy to flip them around :flipoff2:

PassRunnerZJ
06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
I put DT's on my FJ40 and they work either way, DT=Deutch Tech (SP) in this case if not the same as DT above. However, there are some shocks that care which way is up and I think it is stamped on the side of the shock if they do. The DT's I put on the FJ40 worked well, but then the Ranchos on the ZJ work great too and the price was right $40 for all four corners otherwise I would have looked at going DT again.

ATL ZJ
06-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Try it. If they can only be one way you'll find out really quick. Just hit a few dips at 45 mph... :snakeman: I about shit my shorts when I was running Procrap hydros upside down on the highway before I realized what I had done. :rolleyes:

nate
06-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah the mounts are triangles and the can hits the mount before I can get the bolt in. I can grind.. but also the can get's real close to the brake line, so that's not going to work. Either run them upside down, or new mounts.

I had ordered Skyjacker hydro's, they said not going to work. Gonna see about the Platinums, I guess those are ok to run upside down.