PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Nitrous oxide with a 4.0L?

chadjans
06-06-2005, 09:14 PM
In my quest for cheap horse power, I have been contemplating running nitrous with my 4.0l. Anyone running a small 50 shot? Or am I just stupid?

Chad

LouisianaZJ
06-06-2005, 10:15 PM
NAWWWSSSSSS

have no idea, i would not do it personally

dasVettemeister
06-06-2005, 10:33 PM
In my quest for cheap horse power, I have been contemplating running nitrous with my 4.0l. Anyone running a small 50 shot? Or am I just stupid?

Chad

I've got quite a bit of experience with nitrous. I definitely wouldn't put it on a straight six such as the 4.0L. Nitrous increases internal stresses on an engine to a great extent. While the 4.0 is a stout engine, fast increases in rpm are not good for it. The crankshaft is very long and the nitrous would increase torsional stresses to a degree that it would probably fracture. Due to the length, these cranks can "wind and unwind" a certain amount, so nitrous is bad mojo for them. This is the main reason that it's also bad to "free rev" them.

Also, you shouldn't be concerned about horsepower with that engine. It's never been a horsepower engnie, and it never will be. Period. If you want more oomph, look at flattening your torque curve, you'll feel that more. Chances are, if you manage to gain more horsepower with that engine, you're going to lose torque. This will not only make the engine doggy at lower/mid-range rpm, but it will kill your fuel economy. This is due to the fact that if you do manage to attain more hp it will be at a VERY narrow rpm band. Just my $0.02. :smt002

norton
06-06-2005, 10:40 PM
haha, i thought i accidently clicked one of my brothers ricer links. :axe:

no2 is for small, high-revving engines. you sir, have a (relatively) large low-revving engine. i'd say no.

go by a fat lumpy ass cam if you want some more torque. :supz:

chadjans
06-06-2005, 11:08 PM
The one thing I liked about the idea was that it was either on or off. Never always on. So the torque curve is stock unless the button is pressed.....

Chad

dasVettemeister
06-06-2005, 11:08 PM

no2 is for small, high-revving engines. you sir, have a (relatively) large low-revving engine. i'd say no.

Norton, Norton, Norton....... [shakes head]

Nitrous is not just for small engines. I knew a guy running a 500 shot on a 638 cube chevy big block...... well, ok, technically not chevy, it was a Merlin block. It's generally for engines that are higher revving, but it has been successfully used on stock big blockas that push no more than 5000 rpm or so. (still relatively low rpm)

As for the cam, by far the WORST thing you can do to gain torque is use a "fat lumpy ass cam." That just kills vacuum and kills ANY torque you once had.

Ok, school's out. You can go back to playing in the sandbox now. :smt003

dasVettemeister
06-06-2005, 11:11 PM
The one thing I liked about the idea was that it was either on or off. Never always on. So the torque curve is stock unless the button is pressed.....

Chad

I was talking about the torque curve in relation to hp mods.... not so much NOS. Like I said though, NOS is a bad thing on the I6 if you want the thing to last.

Jim311
06-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Stroke it, or get that heavy ass thing out of there and replace it with something that's got some balls!

norton
06-07-2005, 01:38 AM

Norton, Norton, Norton....... [shakes head]

Nitrous is not just for small engines. I knew a guy running a 500 shot on a 638 cube chevy big block...... well, ok, technically not chevy, it was a Merlin block. It's generally for engines that are higher revving, but it has been successfully used on stock big blockas that push no more than 5000 rpm or so. (still relatively low rpm)

As for the cam, by far the WORST thing you can do to gain torque is use a "fat lumpy ass cam." That just kills vacuum and kills ANY torque you once had.

Ok, school's out. You can go back to playing in the sandbox now. :smt003

OK, i know you can shoot no2 into about anything built right. I watch the show "horsepower" or whatever its called thats on spike TV on the weekends. I remember seeing an older vette that was blown and sprayed in the "north v south drags" episode. But like you said yourself, its not the norm. no2 is more succesfully used on higher-revving engines.

as for getting a new cam, you'd have to do other stuff too. im not too keen on the 4.0 but i've studied basic engine theory (mainly for my previous ride, my little teggy with a 1.8) that was a dohc motor. it came with roughly 140hp/130tq. with fatter lumpier cams, cam gears and a/f tuning you could easily pick up 35whp/tq. for a honda thats alot. shit for any motor 35hp is alot. but then again im talking about a higher-revving motor (which is a relatively low-revving honda motor [7k redline]). and when i said fat lumpy ass cam, i was really just getting too carried away with the adjectives. i think a new cam could really help WITH tuning. You've most certainly been around longer than i have and prolly have more experiance so in this particular case you are prolly right. :prayer:

:smt003

trailzj
06-07-2005, 07:12 AM
I'm curious as to when you would personally use it. Steep hill climb?

Al

Kraqa
06-07-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm curious as to when you would personally use it. Steep hill climb?

Al

thats what motorhomes do. well some of them. even from the factory.

2drezq
06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, HESCO doesn't seem to think it's to bad of an idea:

http://www.hescosc.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?4X364946#o

Build a 260hp stroker; add a 50 hp shot for passing on the highway.

trailzj
06-09-2005, 05:22 AM
What catagory would a motorhome fall into? :mrgreen:

Al

dasVettemeister
06-09-2005, 07:12 AM
no2 is for small, high-revving engines. you sir, have a (relatively) large low-revving engine.

The Rolls Royce Merlin engine used in the P-51 Mustang displaced something like 27 liters I believe and redlined at around 3500 rpm (if that). Nitrous oxide was used on them. 27 liters is not small in my opinion. 3500 rpm is not exactly high-reving. :smt003

norton
06-09-2005, 02:34 PM
fine, fine. you guys can just keep on finding the exceptions to the rule. does it make you feel cool? :finga:

speaking generally though, no2 is still used in smaller high-revving engines much more succesfully.

dasVettemeister
06-10-2005, 01:05 AM
fine, fine. you guys can just keep on finding the exceptions to the rule. does it make you feel cool? :finga:

speaking generally though, no2 is still used in smaller high-revving engines much more succesfully.

You know I just couldn't help it!!! :smt003

And no, nitrous was originally used on larger engines regardless of rpm range. It was used extensively on big blocks since the 60's. :finga:

NorthernZJ
06-19-2005, 02:34 AM
I can't wait to juice my 4.7L stroker. I've got forged pistons and I'm going to 75-100 hp for mud. However, that will be durring the winter after this season on the rocks.

The juice isn't all that bad for your motor if you don't get crazy with your goals.

TrojanMan
06-19-2005, 11:31 PM
I can't wait to juice my 4.7L stroker. I've got forged pistons and I'm going to 75-100 hp for mud. However, that will be durring the winter after this season on the rocks.

The juice isn't all that bad for your motor if you don't get crazy with your goals.

Another stroker? Sweet :supz:

dasVettemeister
06-20-2005, 12:55 AM

Another stroker? Sweet :supz:

What kind of toque gains are you going to see with the 4.7?

Krash80
06-24-2005, 12:40 PM
DVM might not be able to tell the difference between a jeep and a donkey, but when it comes to talking about nitrous and horsepower i can confirm he knows damn well what he's talking about. Just cause someone does something or makes a kit for something doesn't necessarily mean it's a good choice.

dasVettemeister
06-24-2005, 02:01 PM
DVM might not be able to tell the difference between a jeep and a donkey, but when it comes to talking about nitrous and horsepower i can confirm he knows damn well what he's talking about. Just cause someone does something or makes a kit for something doesn't necessarily mean it's a good choice.

Hey!!! I know the difference between a donkey and YOUR Jeep. The donkey will make it to the end of the trail! Buahahahahaha!!! Sorry homey, couldn't help it.... :smt003 What's up, no work today? Tell Welter I said hi when you see him. Give him a hearty "oink" for me.