PDA

View Full Version : d35 growl

98jeepzj
06-06-2005, 08:27 PM
Well my rear end is still growling after a couple attempts to fix. It starts to growl at about 25mph and gets louder with speed and even louder when taking a right hand off ramp off the highway. Thus far I have replaced the outer axle bearings on each side, filled up with fresh 75w140 and also removed the e-brake pads as a local mechanic said that they were causing the noise so I just said i would pull them off myself and see. Surprise surprise they were not the culprit. I am looking for a next step here basically as to what i should look at next and tips on how to do it.
Thanks in advance

bill~ns
06-06-2005, 09:05 PM
First place I'd look would be my carrier bearings... then check for slop in your pinion. With the cover off, get some marking compound and take a look at your pattern.

Bill

Jim311
06-06-2005, 09:33 PM
You sure it's not a bad ujoint?

LouisianaZJ
06-06-2005, 10:16 PM
most likely shot pinion bearings or a loose pinion nut

swap in a 8.8 or equivalent, dont waste the $$ fixing a Dturdy5

98jeepzj
06-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Ok so i've got one vote for pinion bearings and another for carrier bearings, anyone else wanna take a stab at it to push me towards one over the other? And will this be a simple take out, replace, and put back in the exact way i took it out or is there something else to complicate it?

nathaniel
06-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Ok so i've got one vote for pinion bearings and another for carrier bearings, anyone else wanna take a stab at it to push me towards one over the other? And will this be a simple take out, replace, and put back in the exact way i took it out or is there something else to complicate it?

bearings are pressed on and have to be setup or at the very least put back in the same exact way including shims etc. Were your axle shafts scored where the outer bearings ride on them. If the bearings were bad most likely the shafts were too.

Should be in newbie tech.

98jeepzj
06-06-2005, 11:21 PM
hey nathaniel thanks for clearing up that the bearings are pressed on. without that info i dont know what i would do. i owe you one buddy. :prayer:

Michael
06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
check for play in the spider gears before replacing bearings and r&p.