PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Body Swap Questions

Mtn WJ
06-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Well my Fastman 62mm TB finally showed up today and I would like to swap it out today before GSW. I am sure I will not have any issues but how many miles is recomended or how many engine start ups is recomended when changing a Throttle body on a 4.0. I have never swapped a TB before just carbs in my past and would like to know your thoughts. The main reason for my dilema is I have to leave Tuesday night for a bus trip and will not be back until Thursday AM and that leaves a trip to the airport and back to train the computer. Who knows maybe the PCM is not that smart on 4.0's. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Keith

PassRunnerZJ
06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Brave man to start swapping known good parts for new unknowns before GSW. Personally I would wait unless the stock one is acting up. I don't mess with something that is working right before a big event. $.02

JohnBoulderCO
06-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Brave man to start swapping known good parts for new unknowns before GSW. Personally I would wait unless the stock one is acting up. I don't mess with something that is working right before a big event. $.02

Yep I would wait until you are back. Last minute changes always go wrong, Murphy's Law.

Mtn WJ
06-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Speaking of something going wrong my water pump is leaking. Looks like I will be dealing with that instead. Damnit.

TrojanMan
06-06-2005, 03:52 PM
water pump is easy.. couple of hours at max.

chadjans
06-06-2005, 09:10 PM
Took 10 mins to put mine on. Simple. Hasn't changed anything as far as durability.

Chad

Mtn WJ
06-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Well I decided to put it on anyway while I was waiting for the engine to cool down to do the Water Pump. Glad I did because it worked out better than I expected. My throttle response is better and my overall acceleration from dead stop to highway passing has improved. I did not expect the low end improvement. The mid to high rpm improvment was dramatic. Still not a race car but it seems to have awakend the dead on the highway. I did a k and n filter a few years back with no change and a cat back exhaust last year with some highway improvement when flying up I70 but not as noticeable as the TB. I suppose they all worked together and the TB would not have been as noticeable if I had not already put in the filter and exhaust. I am not too worried about reliability because it is a factory TB that was bored out to 62 mm. The sensors are my original ones that I transfered. I suppose the PCM will update itself and I did pull the battery off to do a reset before I started the engine. Otherwise there is not much to go wrong. Just more air and the sensors will tell the PCM to add more fuel accordingly.

I sure hope uncle Murphy stays in Denver while I go to Moab this weekend.

JohnBoulderCO
06-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Keith,
Sounds like it worked pretty good for you. Hmmm, faster, fast as a V8? Let's race! :mrgreen:
John

BigDaveZJ
06-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Keith,
Sounds like it worked pretty good for you. Hmmm, faster, fast as a V8? Let's race! :mrgreen:
John

The 6 Squirrels on Meth vs V8 Power . . . . I'm going V8!!

Mtn WJ
06-07-2005, 12:13 PM
As soon as I wrote that reply I figured the yuk yuks would be posting their responses. It took less time than I expected.

Dave's even got Pam throwing the jabs at my precious 4.0.

Unfortunatley for you guys drag racing except at a track is illegal and I do not want to get either of you into trouble.

PassRunnerZJ
06-07-2005, 05:33 PM
Glad it worked out and is working exceptional (better than expected). I too am a 4.0 guy and they do well for everything I want to do with it. If I want to go fast (highway fly, Interstate autobauhn, drag race) I'll drag the FZR1000 out; few have been the times that I've seen another front tire except in the mirror, but that is another 12 points, er um story.

I-6 on meth... I'll have to look into this since I will be making more trips over the mountains for Fall and Spring soccer with the kids.

One more day of work, then MOAB!!! See you there.

Mtn WJ
06-08-2005, 07:55 AM
See you in Moab.

Yea the 4.0 to me is a Jeep Icon and it does all I need as well. I guess thats why the V8 guys like to kid with me because I am such an I6 fan. Its still not a race car on the Highway but it is pretty decent now. I think I hit the right combination of gears, tire size, intake, exhaust and TB. One other issue is the major weight gain my WJ has had. I want to see what it will do with stock tires and all the stuff taken off of it.

I am building my need for speed machine but that will take awhile so for now its either my DD Vintage Bug or if my wife lets me drive the Cross Country.