PDA

View Full Version : Today's NoOb driveline question:

SuicideTireZJ
06-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Got my ZJ back from the shop after 2 or so months. Blew up my 249 and tranny. Anyway, swapped in a 231 with an SYE and a Woods rear D.S. which makes me happy. The nearly $3000 I spent in parts and labor for everything didn't!

Anyway, since I'm used to full time 4wd, I have a question: Will the front driveshaft spin when I'm in 2Hi? I have no idea what the shifter tab positions are on the 231 and I'm having a hard time telling the difference between 4Hi and 2Hi. Shit, I can't even find 4Lo. I did manage to find neutral and I think I can figure out where 4Lo is from there, but I can't manage to get 2Hi yet.

Jim311
06-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Will it spin? Yeah, because the front wheels will be spinning, which rotates the axle shafts, which in turn rotates the carrier and ring gear, which rotates the pinion, which is atatched to your ujoint which is attached to your driveshaft. It won't be under any power from your driveline, however.

SuicideTireZJ
06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
That's pretty much what I thought. If I had manual hubs it wouldn't, though, if they were unlocked, right?

Jim311
06-04-2005, 04:16 PM
That's pretty much what I thought. If I had manual hubs it wouldn't, though, if they were unlocked, right?

Yeah, or if you had axles with an actuator that seperated the shaft(s)

SuicideTireZJ
06-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Gotcha, think I figured it out. Damn shift linkage is too long by like an inch now. Time to cut and weld a bitch.

Thanks for the info.

Being able to do burnouts (on wet pavement, stock gears) scares me a little :finga:

Jim311
06-04-2005, 05:41 PM
Gotcha, think I figured it out. Damn shift linkage is too long by like an inch now. Time to cut and weld a bitch.

Thanks for the info.

Being able to do burnouts (on wet pavement, stock gears) scares me a little :finga:

I can't wait to be able to do that.

SuicideTireZJ
06-04-2005, 06:27 PM
I need to get some shitty donut tires to fuck around with though, don't want to ruin my MT's, even though they're already too small and I need an upgrade.... Rubber ain't cheap.

But I guess since I'm open front and rear I don't chew up tires as much as most people

SuicideTireZJ
06-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Man, how many posts do I need to lose the NoOb status?!?!?!

OverkillZJ
06-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Man, how many posts do I need to lose the NoOb status?!?!?!

More than 21.

Swamp boy
06-04-2005, 09:56 PM
The shift pattern on a 231 is 2WD 4hi N 4 Lo

Yet another crappy picture...
http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/novak_shifter/images/tn/cherokee_shift.jpg

TrojanMan
06-05-2005, 01:48 AM
soon i'll be able to tear my 31's open on dry pavement... probably even on a slight incline :finga:

SuicideTireZJ
06-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Shit, can I tell the future or what?

Got a 15 over ticket driving up I-25 home tonight.

Driving my V8 Grand after driving a POS Toyota truck with 4:10's, 33's and a 22R for 2.5 months is bad for your wallet.

I still have to pay off the $3 Large that I spent getting the bitch back on the road.... I can't afford this shit!

As for the linkage, I think I figured out what I need to do. I found all the positions, and my current linkage is about an inch too long. So I'm going to cut an inch out and sleeve and weld the bitch back up and it *should* work ok. I also have a shifter from a TJ with the bezel in the handle that I might swap in if I'm bored. Then I just have to find something cool to put in the lighted section where the old bezel went. Can you say pron? :weedman:

SuicideTireZJ
06-05-2005, 02:29 AM
Damn, still a NoOb!

Guess it's more than 22!

Maybe I can get rid of that shit since www.colorado4x4.org seems to be down for the time being.

Swamp boy
06-05-2005, 09:08 AM
If you cant spin 31's time to rebuild that engine.. I can turn 35's on dry ground.... :smt003

TrojanMan
06-05-2005, 01:15 PM
If you cant spin 31's time to rebuild that engine.. I can turn 35's on dry ground.... :smt003

I'm gonna have about, oh.. 100 ft/lbs more than you my friend :weedman:

nate
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
I spun a 36" TSL on dry ground the other day and I didn't even know it until my buddy who was following me asked me if that's the proper way to break in new gears :mrgreen: Left a 3 foot black mark. 4.0L too.

Swamp boy
06-05-2005, 06:18 PM
Thats it... Where is the drag strip half way between NC and LA... :finga: :finga:

When this 435 is done I will be able to spin the tires without trying... :smt003

Can you say 6.68:1 1st... :smt003

BigDaveZJ
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Do I have to bring back the burnout smackdown I gave to that kid on JU a year ago??

:finga:

SuicideTireZJ
06-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Swampy, you're damn right about the engine rebuild. I need one for sure but I'm gonna try and get another 20K out of it (I'm at 146K right now) before I rebuild the whole thing and possibly blow it.

Dave, what is this smackdown you speak of? I've never been to JU, and I'm damn proud of it.

BigDaveZJ
06-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Post from dude:

my ZJ came with open diff.'s, and its annoying as hell. i wanna be able to spin BOTH tires, not just one. would a trac-loc be what im looking for? its a street driven jeep, as theres nowhere to wheel around here. how would i go about putting a trac-lok in the rear end? what about the front axle? shoudl i just do both?

and please dont just re: and rip[ on me for wanting to spin my tires because thats not what YOU think i should do. please re: is you have something helfpul to add

My reply:

You're joking right?

First off, judging by your mechanical knowledge you have so blatantly displayed in this thread, I'm going to say you have the factory 249 transfer case. Guess what? It's an ALL WHEEL DRIVE CASE. Guess what this means? When the rears lose traction, it sends power to the front and takes it away from the back!! So much for spinning your tires!! Your fronts will hook up and off you go!!

To effectively spin your rear tires you will need to swap in a 231 or 242 t-case. And if you go through all this hassle, JUST to spin your tires, you sir, are a douche.

And before you ask, if you pull your front driveshaft out, you can waive goodbye to your transfer case. You still won't be able to spin the tires though and many people will laugh at you. AT you, not WITH you.

There are only TWO reasons anyone would ever want to purposely spin their tires.

1) show off for the girls at the local middle school because you don't have the social skills or cajones to actually talk to them

2) burn out contest

#2 is a cool reason, I can dig that, BUT you're in a stock ZJ (I don't count stereo stuff). Pretty lame IMO. Although I HIGHLY doubt #2 is anywhere close to your reasoning behind this. I'm even doubtful of my accuracy on #1, it's probably the elementary school girls.

His reply:

no shit i have a 249. and yes, im going to switch to a 242 for a few reasons, not just to burn out. and yes, i know about the front DS bullshit.

and there are many more reasons to want to burn out. its fun, i liek peeling out from red lights.

asshat

My reply:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

You peel out from red lights?!?!? Dude, you know you're supposed to go on green right?

Oh yeah, the police like to call that "excessive display of power/speed" and will write you a ticket for it. In your case though it would be "excessive display of unintelligence."

The thread got canned shortly after that.

SuicideTireZJ
06-06-2005, 02:21 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA man that shit owns. Where's that cheerleader emoticon you posted for me a while back when I need it? Oh, here we go. GO DAVE!!

:cheer2:

I really hope that kid puts a trac-loc and a 231 in his ZJ just to do burnouts and gets his shit taken away by his parents because of too many tickets.

Oh, back on topic (sorta) I found that the linkage is like 3/4" too long but will probably work if I shorten it. Since I don't have any way to cut it down and my welding skills are about those of a pre-pubescent girls.... and since that shit is probably galvanized or coated anyway, is there a surefire way to hook the linkage back up? Is that tab that you (Dave, others) bought shorter than the one usually on the 231? I'm not gonna like crawling under my shit just to switch T-Case modes...

nate
06-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Someone told me that the whole Jeep "frame" is galvanzied, true?

Too bad you aren't anywhere near here, it wouldn't take much as all to chop that and weld it to the proper length. One you have a welder and a way to cut steel, the possibilities are limitless :supz:

SuicideTireZJ
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
I've got a little 150A 110V stick welder that I've been fucking around with for a while, but every time i get my hands on some scrap steel it's galvanized and coated in some way and I can't get any penetration. I tried playing around with it last night but the t-case shifter bracket I was practicing on was...galvanized. I'm going to go to the shop and see if they still have my old driveshaft and t-case shell, so maybe I can find something good to weld on there. I can lay down a decent bead on flat stock, but joining two pieces has been elusive so far.

We're going to try and get the garage in order within the next couple weeks: Workbench, shelving, etc. Then once I pay off all the work done to the Jeep, it's time to start buying tools. Cutoff saw, sawzall.... shit I don't even have a vice yet.

All I need is to cut 3/4" from it, sleeve and weld back together. Maybe I can do the cutting if I go to my parents house sometime soon. My dad has almost every tool imaginable.

Jim311
06-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Doesn't galvanized steel make some sort of toxic gas when you try to weld it?

SuicideTireZJ
06-07-2005, 01:41 AM
Yeah, that's what I've heard. Never experienced it though. Definitly not going to weld something that's galvanized ever just in case though. (It doesn't work anyway so what's the point?)

I'm goin' wheelin' tomorrow for the first time since March yippie!