PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting tranny bands?

Jim311
06-04-2005, 09:12 AM
Lately my Jeep has been really sloppy shifting. I think I'll start by changing the fluid and then I want to adjust the bands and kickdown. When I hit the gas to accelerate moderately it jumps to a lower gear for a split second, then shifts back to the gear I was in. I have a feeling it's going to take a shit on me pretty soon, but I'd like to try adjusting the bands since that hasn't been done in like 50k miles. How difficult of a task is this, and is it something so precise that it's better off left to a real mechanic?

Jim311
06-04-2005, 10:01 AM
They really need to delete some garbage threads on NAGCA. I search for "Transmission band adjustment" and shit about TREs and all sorts of unrelated BS comes up.

:smt011

Nordic1
06-04-2005, 11:10 AM
They really need to delete some garbage threads on NAGCA. I search for "Transmission band adjustment" and shit about TREs and all sorts of unrelated BS comes up.

Yea it really is newb paradise over there... I'll float through the database later and see if I can delete some of the obnoxious stuff

Jim311
06-04-2005, 01:46 PM

Yea it really is newb paradise over there... I'll float through the database later and see if I can delete some of the obnoxious stuff

Sweet. There really is some lame stuff over there.. questions that have been answered a million times need to be weeded out. Out of maybe 30 pages of search results there were maybe 10 replies that were actually relevant to my situation. I still haven't got an inch/lb torque wrench. I bought the stuff today to build a drain plug for my stock oil pan.. tap, die, and an oil plug I bought at Afro Zone. Still need to extend the vent line on the tranny though, since right now it's hanging down below the crossmember :mrgreen:

I might just change the fluid now and take it to a shop next week to have the bands adjusted.

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Mine used to do that but I put in a transgo shift kit and a few other little parts from APS Precision and it has helped tremendously. Still need a new torque converter though.

TrojanMan
06-04-2005, 02:10 PM
Mine used to do that but I put in a transgo shift kit and a few other little parts from APS Precision and it has helped tremendously. Still need a new torque converter though.

Me putting in that 300 dollar torque converter didn't solve the problem, I don't know if it'll solve yours or not.

nate
06-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Tranny bands aren't hard too hard to adjust. The front one is a PITA because it's hard to get to. It's on the driver's side, behind the shift cable, and it's pretty close to the floorboards. I just did it, and I didn't have a crossmember in place so I lowered the tranny as much as I could and that helped alot. On my 98, I need a 5/16" 8 point socket, and a stubby 19mm (or 3/4") for the locknut. I just cut a normal 19mm in half. :mrgreen:

The rear band is in the valve body, that's the easy one. I forget the size, but it's just a regular socket.

Torque to 72 in/lb and then you back out... I can't remember how many turns off hand. If I think about it I'll check when I head to the garage. I have it written on a paper somewhere in my toolbox.

Bands are supposed to be adjusted every 30k miles I think.

Also, adjust the TV cable, make sure that's ok.

Tapping the pan? I hope not. You'll get maybe 1/2 a thread in there to hold since it's not very thick. I'd imagine it would just strip out when you try and tighten it. What I would do it actually get a kit, which is like $5 at a parts store, or if you want to "fab" a bit, drill a hole in the pan, weld a nut on the inside, take bolt, put some RTV on it, and install.

LouisianaZJ
06-04-2005, 03:08 PM
agree about tapping the pan!!

I think it is B&M that makes the kit. i think the thread is a 2 piece deal that screws on either side of the pan so it is 100% secure

Jim311
06-04-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm going to weld a washer on both the inside and outside of the pan, and then tap both the pan, and the washers, and thread the plug in that way.

LouisianaZJ
06-04-2005, 03:14 PM
i guess that would work ok

seems like alot of work tho, easier to just buy the kit IMHO

Jim311
06-04-2005, 03:37 PM
i guess that would work ok

seems like alot of work tho, easier to just buy the kit IMHO

My 4 dollar "kit" will work just fine :flipoff2:

Jim311
06-04-2005, 03:51 PM
Actually I like the idea of having a nut on the other side of the pan, instead of having to tap something. I might go that route, and just tack the nut on the inside of the pan.

LouisianaZJ
06-04-2005, 10:29 PM
i just looked over there today, did not post or anything.... but just looking at the suspension area all I see is 80% garbage BB questions. personally i would post a sticky saying any further BB questions will result in the instaban
dat's just me tho :finga: :axe: :finga: :butthead:

Jim311
06-05-2005, 12:47 AM
I especially like the "Which budget boost is the best" question

:rofl: