PDA

View Full Version : I can't get my damn radiator shroud from hitting the fan!

Jim311
06-03-2005, 01:20 AM
No matter how I adjust it, I just can't seem to keep the fan blades from wacking into the shroud. I even cut out the sides for a little more clearance, but it still does it. It's REALLY pissing me off. Is it possible that there are differences in water pump length between 96 and 98? My Jeep is a 96 but the motor is a 98. I also figured that all the water pumps were the same, so I ordered a pump for a 96 and not a 98, and that's what's currently on the motor. I'd really like to avoid having to remove the water pump and replace it with ANOTHER one. I'm tired of fixing this fucking thing.. I just want to DRIVE IT ALREADY! :smt013 :pissed:

AprilzWarrior
06-03-2005, 01:53 AM
No matter how I adjust it, I just can't seem to keep the fan blades from wacking into the shroud. I even cut out the sides for a little more clearance, but it still does it. It's REALLY pissing me off. Is it possible that there are differences in water pump length between 96 and 98? My Jeep is a 96 but the motor is a 98. I also figured that all the water pumps were the same, so I ordered a pump for a 96 and not a 98, and that's what's currently on the motor. I'd really like to avoid having to remove the water pump and replace it with ANOTHER one. I'm tired of fixing this fucking thing.. I just want to DRIVE IT ALREADY! :smt013 :pissed:

Its got to be the shroud bro... I shattered my shroud while thrashing under the hood one night... well I got a used one from JU, I have a 95V8 and the "new" one was off a 97V8 Different shrouds... just some trimming is needed on the shroud... get a cut off wheel and have fun !

AW

TrojanMan
06-03-2005, 02:10 AM
*cough* taurus fan *cough*

Jim311
06-03-2005, 07:06 AM

Its got to be the shroud bro... I shattered my shroud while thrashing under the hood one night... well I got a used one from JU, I have a 95V8 and the "new" one was off a 97V8 Different shrouds... just some trimming is needed on the shroud... get a cut off wheel and have fun !

AW

I already tried cutting the shroud though! I can't possibly take off any more. It doesn't hit on the sides, it's hitting the TOP of the shroud! The only thing I can think of is that the water pump I bought is different or something. It's really starting to piss me off because I can't drive it with it making this horrific noise.

Jim311
06-03-2005, 07:08 AM

I don't see any reason to go with electrical fan. In my opinion they're inferior in every aspect except the ability to turn them on and off when I please for water crossings and such. As long as my engine is running I'll always get *some* cooling, and my clutch is brand new so failure there is unlikely. Mechanical fans are better for towing, too.

TrojanMan
06-03-2005, 02:06 PM

I don't see any reason to go with electrical fan. In my opinion they're inferior in every aspect except the ability to turn them on and off when I please for water crossings and such. As long as my engine is running I'll always get *some* cooling, and my clutch is brand new so failure there is unlikely. Mechanical fans are better for towing, too.

but it'll solve your fan hitting shroud problem :partyman:

Jim311
06-03-2005, 05:25 PM

but it'll solve your fan hitting shroud problem :partyman:

True, very true. I'm going to run without the shroud tomorrow and see if it will get my ass to work until I figure out exactly what the hell is going on. I wish I knew if there was some difference in the pulleys between 96 and 98 or something. Maybe one water pump is thicker than another and causes the fan to stick too far in.