PDA

View Full Version : ubernewbie question of the day

paulkeith
06-02-2005, 01:31 PM
are xj/tj/zj lca's all the same?

Cue-Ball
06-02-2005, 02:07 PM
Stock ones? Front or rear?

I think I have some stock fronts at the house off a ZJ if you need some. The bushings are okay, but are worn some.

paulkeith
06-02-2005, 02:10 PM
front lowers, specifically. i want some brand spankin' new ones, i'm tryign to track down some DW. there's a set on ebay for 17 bones...but off an '05 TJ, which is why i ask.

Paul

Cue-Ball
06-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Yea I am not sure to be honest with you.

Mine are not good to help you track down the elusive DW.

Good luck.

TrojanMan
06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
My advice would be to call the dealor..

paulkeith
06-02-2005, 02:54 PM
dealor? or dealer? :finga:

norton
06-02-2005, 02:56 PM
do you honestly think a dealer is going to know something like that? I heard all they do is try to sell cars, not know alot about em. :axe:

robselina
06-02-2005, 04:51 PM
front lowers, specifically. i want some brand spankin' new ones, i'm tryign to track down some DW. there's a set on ebay for 17 bones...but off an '05 TJ, which is why i ask.

Paul

Yes, they're the same on the front for the TJ, XJ and ZJ.

JeepinHank
06-02-2005, 04:56 PM
TJ & ZJ front LCAs are the same length.

XJ LCAs are about 1/2" longer.

TJ, XJ, & ZJ front UCAs are all the same length.

WJ front LCAs are about 1/4" longer than those on the ZJ.

greenhunter
06-02-2005, 05:44 PM
i have a pair of WJ front LCAs if you want them. i bought them thinking they would give me a better ride, but i could never get them to fit the mounts. i think they're 1/4" too wide at the eyes.

Cody
06-02-2005, 06:21 PM
don't the XJ arms use some sort of different bolt to adjust the alignment?

DND
06-02-2005, 11:00 PM
don't the XJ arms use some sort of different bolt to adjust the alignment?

XJs have the adjustability built into the Front LCA frame side mount. The ZJ adjusts from the Front LCA axle side mount via a cam bolt.

I think the arms are the same on both, possibly different lengths as mentioned above. I haven't checked, so no idea.

OverkillZJ
06-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Arms are the same, ZJ's just have cam bolts.

nathaniel
06-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Arms are the same, ZJ's just have cam bolts.

And have front lower bushings with holes in them for the butter grand cherokee ride.

xj, tj, zj are same length. wj a little longer with even more buttery ride

OverkillZJ
06-03-2005, 12:01 AM
Yup, which is why you'll often see aftermarket replacments (napa and such) with the solid bushing, they're universal arms.

TrojanMan
06-03-2005, 02:12 AM
do you honestly think a dealer is going to know something like that? I heard all they do is try to sell cars, not know alot about em. :axe:

whenever I have a question I call the service dept at the dealer. Maybe your dealers bring the suck, but mine doesn't. The guys know their shit and help you out.

paulkeith
07-06-2005, 08:15 AM
so, i tried to put on the TJ arms I got off of ebay, and my ZJ arms are about 1/4" wider at the metal sleeve in the center of the frame end bushing. IE, there was no way to put in the TJ arm and correctly tighten the bolt. makes no sense, but there is definetly a 1/4" difference in the width.

but then i see JKS adj arms and the like are identical for all tj/xj/zj etc. i dont see the room for error here.

any light?

Paul

ATL ZJ
07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
so, i tried to put on the TJ arms I got off of ebay, and my ZJ arms are about 1/4" wider at the metal sleeve in the center of the frame end bushing. IE, there was no way to put in the TJ arm and correctly tighten the bolt. makes no sense, but there is definetly a 1/4" difference in the width.

but then i see JKS adj arms and the like are identical for all tj/xj/zj etc. i dont see the room for error here.

any light?

Paul

If you need stock arms, I have a pile of them here in Atlanta. Not sure if you're down at Tech now or back home.. But I'll let you have all 12-13 of them for next to nothing if you want them. What are you trying to do with them?

paulkeith
07-07-2005, 01:00 PM
so after talking to nick and crossing some napa part numbers, ZJ's have wider bushings at the frame side.

however, aftermarket arms do not use this wider bushing. apparently its usually not a big enough gap to matter, and for some reason my ZJ is funny. i dont even want to know the design tolerances on the unibodies.

in any case, i think i should be able to snag the bushings from napa for <$15 and get em pressed into my "new" TJ arms.

what i'm trying to do is replace my super-whored-out stock bushings with new bushings in an attempt to finally cure my DW. originally i snagged '05 TJ arms with 5k miles off ebay for 30 shipped, figuring i'd be saving money and hassle over bushings and pressing in/out/etc...but then ran into this problem.

if i was down in atl, you'd be on...thanks anyway though

Paul

Jim311
07-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Stock ones? Front or rear?

I think I have some stock fronts at the house off a ZJ if you need some. The bushings are okay, but are worn some.

Let me know if you can find any stock rear LCAs for an XJ :flipoff2: