PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case 213 Bolt in or not??? conflicting reports

1v6pony
06-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Ok I just spoke with tranfer case unlimited and they said that going from a 249 to a 231 did require a new rear drive shaft. But I have read on this site that it is not required, and is a direct replacment. which is it, please help...

Info: 1994 JGC Limited 5.2 with automatic and NP249 (broken)

LouisianaZJ
06-01-2005, 04:25 PM
newb tech,

check the 231 FAQ http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=481342

1v6pony
06-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Ok I read that whole thing and it was refering to a do it yourself job from a junk yard find... I called a reputable builder of remanufactured tranfer cases and he told me I have to have a new drive shaft made for the rear. Is this the case or not? And yes I am a newbi, but I have spent the last 4+ hours reading everything on this site, before I have asked my simple question. thier are conflicting reports.

If I have to get a new drive shaft wher is a good place in Arizona and apx how much? Thanks

OverkillZJ
06-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Read the criteria for posting in drivetrain. This is a JU question, again. Keep it up and you'll find yourself banned :butthead:

Trancezj
06-01-2005, 05:11 PM
Read the criteria for posting in drivetrain. This is a JU question, again. Keep it up and you'll find yourself banned :butthead:
damn you're mean sometimes.

1v6pony
06-01-2005, 05:23 PM
And A JV or JU Question stand for what??? Excatly, you being a mod should be a little more helpfull to a new person, So just tell me where this question should be asked and I will go thier, so I get an answer and not a smart A##. remark.

BigDaveZJ
06-01-2005, 05:26 PM
And A JV or JU Question stand for what??? Excatly, you being a mod should be a little more helpfull to a new person, So just tell me where this question should be asked and I will go thier, so I get an answer and not a smart A##. remark.

Basically what Matt is saying is that this board was created for a level of tech beyond what you're asking. Your post has been moved to "Newbie Tech" because it is not what this board was intended to be here for, but I created the newbie tech forum to allow people to post questions like this and if someone who knows the answer feels nice and answers it, consider yourself lucky.

1v6pony
06-01-2005, 06:14 PM
As I stated earlier, I spent the last 4+ hours searching in your more advanded area of Drive line tech, and I also read the requirment for posting. Would you like me to quote it for you.... It basicly says if a qustion has not ben answered previosly please feel free to post..... .

I asked why thier were conflicting report of haveing to replace the rear driveline or not have to replace it, when doing a 231 swap from a 249... ANd that is not answered in your more advanced area of Tech.
I still do not have the answer. I have to budjet this project and I need to know weather I need a new drive line or not from someone who knows...

robselina
06-01-2005, 06:45 PM
If you're lifted and your axle is pushed back enough, the 231 will make up the difference (it's about 1-2" longer than the 249). If you're sitting at 3.5" and stock axle location (like me) you'll have to shorten your rear driveshaft. In my case I needed to take off 1.5". You don't need a new driveshaft for this, a local driveshaft place should be able to shorten your existing shaft, rebuild it and ballance it for under $140 (usually around $100).

BigDaveZJ
06-01-2005, 08:27 PM
As I stated earlier, I spent the last 4+ hours searching in your more advanded area of Drive line tech, and I also read the requirment for posting. Would you like me to quote it for you.... It basicly says if a qustion has not ben answered previosly please feel free to post..... .

I asked why thier were conflicting report of haveing to replace the rear driveline or not have to replace it, when doing a 231 swap from a 249... ANd that is not answered in your more advanced area of Tech.
I still do not have the answer. I have to budjet this project and I need to know weather I need a new drive line or not from someone who knows...

It hasn't been covered here because everybody here alrady knows how to do it!!!! Nobody on this site has asked what's the biggest size tire you can fit stock, but asking that question would get you banned.

1v6pony
06-01-2005, 09:40 PM
If you're lifted and your axle is pushed back enough, the 231 will make up the difference (it's about 1-2" longer than the 249). If you're sitting at 3.5" and stock axle location (like me) you'll have to shorten your rear driveshaft. In my case I needed to take off 1.5". You don't need a new driveshaft for this, a local driveshaft place should be able to shorten your existing shaft, rebuild it and ballance it for under $140 (usually around $100).

Thank You Very much.... That is what I needed to here, Also the 231 I am looking at now, has a SYE the whole thing is from JB conversions, will this change what I have to do with the drive shaft... Thanks Again for your help...

LouisianaZJ
06-01-2005, 09:54 PM
OMFG
it has a SYE!!!!!!!!!!!

if so you need a new driveshaft regardless or have fun the first time the suspension flexes with a two joint shaft

please visit JU www.jeepsunlimited.com and stay there for the next few months

nathaniel
06-01-2005, 11:50 PM
Mikes tc really wont work well for you unless you are lifted or planning on it. You will have to have a new rear shaft made that is a double cardan at the tc and u joint at the other end. you will also most likely need adj. control arms to rotate the pinion so it is in line with the driveshaft. And the driveshaft will be around 200-250 in Phoenix to build from scratch

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
06-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Nobody on this site has asked what's the biggest size tire you can fit stock, but asking that question would get you banned.

so will my 29" boggers fit with NO cutting?

Nordic1
06-02-2005, 12:28 AM
Nobody on this site has asked what's the biggest size tire you can fit stock, but asking that question would get you banned.

so will my 29" boggers fit with NO cutting?

Why would you invest in 29" boggers? :finga:

LouisianaZJ
06-02-2005, 12:45 AM
the question is
WHY NOT??!!!??!!!!??

OverkillZJ
06-02-2005, 01:04 AM
that's it. I'm banning everyone. :finga:

I was called a mod, LOL, I thought it said "administrator" under my name for a reason :weedman:

the JB conversions 231 with SYE is a very good case. I've beaten it to piss and it keeps on ticking.

dasVettemeister
06-02-2005, 01:08 AM
that's it. I'm banning everyone. :finga:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/dasvettemeister/threatening.jpg

nate
06-02-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm not wasting my time reading all this, but George at TCU is a tool. I called him once and the info he told me was WAY wrong, and he tried to argue with me when I told him otherwise. Way overpriced for T Cases. Can get a low miles case in a salvage yard for $300-400 here in AK, I'm sure less in the states. And he want's like $1000. Someone that pays that is smoking some good shit. :weedman:

BigDaveZJ
06-02-2005, 08:00 AM
You know have everyone's opinion of TCU, and you've seen what happens when you ask questions like this over here.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/ForumPics/threadclose.jpg