PDA

View Full Version : Breaking gears in.

OverkillZJ
06-01-2005, 08:39 AM
I've got shiny new gears in the HP30. Problem is, I've also got a shiny new detroit locker, so I can't really drive the 300-500 break in miles with the hubs engaged since the whole driveline would bind up. Would leaving the tcase in 4 and the hubs disengaged break the gears in? I mean sure, they'd be turning and heat up a bit, but I'm afraid I actually need a load against them.

Any suggestions?

JeepinHank
06-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Yep, they need a load against them to be properly broken in....

I'm sort of in the same spot. I've got newly installed gears in the HP 30, and I'm not really sure how to go about breaking them in....

My suggestion, and this is just a wild ass guess, would be to engage one hub and drive it around like that during the break in period. That way, you won't be binding up the whole driveline as bad, while still putting more of a load on the gears than you would by just turning the shafts.

Hopefully, someone with some experience at this can enlighten us both.

OverkillZJ
06-01-2005, 09:00 AM
The one hub trick is something my buddy suggested also, I can't think of any other way to get load on it, so I guess I'll give it a shot. that or put the front end on a dyno for 500 miles :rolleyes: [/img]

Trancezj
06-01-2005, 09:57 AM
What I did when I was in a similar situation with the 44, was run it hubs out for a day or so, then one hub in for a day, and then go for a good hour drive on a dirt road somwhere with both hubs in. I guess it worked fine.

nate
06-01-2005, 11:58 PM
I just am going to drive with mine. It will see a load when I wheel. Just take it easy on the first few trips and you'll be ok. Gear failure happens when a jackass thinks he can pull that 15k trailer with new gears.

LouisianaZJ
06-02-2005, 12:06 AM
i dont think driving with the hubs engaged would be a problem....

the detroit up front should be almost as invisible in 2wd, do you have a 2wd t-case yet i forget?

OverkillZJ
06-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Put about 80 miles on it today, leaving the hubs engaged with the tcase in 2 doesnt heat up the diff at all. The only way I got any real 'break in' was by bahaing it for half an hour at 30 through some dirt roads. Man... These new pre runner shocks are insaneley kickass.

I tried leaving one hub engaged and driving in 4hi, but I got bound up at the first intersection almost causing an accident. Not really an option. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.