PDA

View Full Version : Radius Arm setup

nate
05-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Hey guys... I know everyone says the radius arm setup binds up, but I have a question about this.

Well I got my setup installed, and with the trackbar in place, the axle won't even fall to the floor because it's binding up that bad. :rolleyes: Is that "normal". It's a decent amount of droop, but I mean I have to actually try and force the axle after a certain point. The track bar obviously moves the axle side to side with axle travel... and that's enough to bind it all up.

I am thinking of just running 1 arm, the driver's side. Can anyone think of reasons why I shouldn't do this? I'm afraid with the way this is binding so bad that something is going to bend and break.

Kraqa
05-28-2005, 02:34 AM
with two upper arms , assuming there almost 45* angle to the lowers will limit the side to side movment alot. once the trac bar reaches an angle where it is forcign the axle to one side alot as it droops the upper arms(being on aa angle) wil stop that. remove one arm it shoudl inclrease but not by much you still have rubber on the LCA axle end they dont want to flex sidways anyway.

Nordic1
05-28-2005, 02:52 PM
How much droop are we talking about? I have radius and my axle can drop till my Stein 14"s are maxxed out.

nate
05-30-2005, 04:52 AM
Probably about 20" of droop. I was thinking the springs were a bit taller and that messed up all my measurements. My trackbar was too long, I had to recut and sleeve it, draglink too. Sucked.

Jeep is about all together now. I have to put my rock rails on, some wiring, shocks, muffler and that's about it. Just minor stuff.

nathan
06-05-2005, 06:28 PM
radius arms should let the axle droop very well. it is in articulation that it tends to bind. my modified ford arms droop almost unhinderd as they only have to rotate around two RE joints at the frame end. disco your track bar and see if the binding goes away.
nathan

LouisianaZJ
06-05-2005, 07:01 PM
alot of people ive seen extend the frame side of the radius arm to be a little longer plus a johnny joint type end and a bracket on the frame

nate
06-06-2005, 05:00 AM
Yeah with the track bar disco'd it's fine. Just the track bar pulls the axle to the driver's side with alot of droop, to the point where it binds enough to hold the axle up. This is with no shocks or anything..