PDA

View Full Version : so my jeep died today...

happy
05-27-2005, 12:22 AM
well the past few days it has been acting funny when i accelerate...at about 1500 rpm's it would loose power then all the sudden jump back up and then loose power again...it would just do that radomly.

then today it just idled so low and then died...and when i tried starting it up it would just barely turn over and just kinda cough and die again...i waited a while and then got it to start and drove around for a while and then it died again and then i could not start it up at all..the starter was turning over but the engine would not start. whats up...vacuum leak or somethin...oh i took my muffler off..would that cuase it

ATL ZJ
05-27-2005, 12:32 AM
First check your fuel. Make sure you have pressure at the fuel rail to rule out a fuel delivery issue, such as your filter or fuel pump. Also make sure there's gas in the tank.

Then check ignition and sensors. See if the jeep throws any codes at this point.

Then put your muffler back on and see if that changes anything.

If all of this doesn't work, post back here and I'm sure I can come up with some more ideas. :smt003

happy
05-27-2005, 12:50 AM
well its at a special jeep shop now so i'll wait to see what they say..hopefully i can fix it. so i don't have to pay a baaazilion dollars

ATL ZJ
05-27-2005, 01:12 AM
What shop?

happy
05-27-2005, 01:57 AM
outback...behind andrettis

happy
05-27-2005, 02:20 AM
hey i just read thru some thread and this is exactly what mines doing

a few threads down

Coming home today we all air up and as I'm trying to merge onto road it starts bucking and sputtering.Pull over Idle's perfect no bad vac lines.Try to leave again and the same thing happens. I disco the batt. to reset computer and start it up and drives fine.10 min. in to the trip go to pass someone and it starts doing it again(only under load or heavy axcel.)All the way home I would have to put it in "N" shut off truck restart through it back in "D" and then axcel. To pass or go up a step grade.I'm not sure why no code's came up,or did I clear them when I disco'ed the batt. Please give me a starting place.I thought about a bad cat. but its only about3years old and has no rattle in it. Help.

JeepinHank
05-27-2005, 08:49 AM
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me...

ChipZJ
05-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me...

x2

happy
05-29-2005, 01:58 PM
ok so the shop said it was the fuel pump and it would be 600 bucks...so i just got AAA to tow the jeep to my house...then i bought a fuel pump from advanced auto and replaced it. and i save 350 bucks.

now my stupid gas guage doesn't work.and i'm sure that i didn't braek the little floater arm. and i disco'd the baterry and reco'd it and it still doesn't work...aaarrrggghhh....i hope i don't have to drop the tank again.

ATL ZJ
05-29-2005, 02:52 PM
Kick the tank really hard for 2-3 minutes, or fill your tank up all the way.. might just be stuck on something..

Make sure you plugged all your connectors back that might have needed to be disconnected.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, hopefully others who've had similar issues can chime in.

Swamp boy
05-29-2005, 06:37 PM
I am pretty sure there is only one electrical plug on the pump.. It has the power lead and the sending unit going to it.. SO if you are running and your gauge isnt workig you will probobly have to drop the tank and check it out..

Those things are pretty sensitive ...Good luck..