PDA

View Full Version : Another dumbass Shop Safety post.

nate
05-25-2005, 11:48 PM
Wear steel toe boots in the garage. I was setting up my front axle, jack slipped out out under it as I was lowering it, and the lower ball joint nut slammed on my foot, about 1.5 foot drop. Trip to ER and I find out I have a badly broken big toe and bruised foot. Hurt like hell, still does.

So yeah... shit happens... No Jesus sandals in the garage, non-steel toe boots (what I had), sneakers, slippers, etc. :supz:

OverkillZJ
05-26-2005, 12:01 AM
I did the same exact thing last year one of thost long nights getting ready for GSW, had tennis shoes on

Yet, I'm still stupid enough to wear them wrenching :drinkers:

Nordic1
05-26-2005, 12:26 AM
No Jesus sandals in the garage,

You'll never guess what I wear when I am wrenching on a warm day

nate
05-26-2005, 12:57 AM
Yeah. I have 2 pairs of steel toe boots, but the non steel toe are more comfortable. Well now I have to hobble around with a foam shoe and have everyone point and laugh at me. Not cool at all. I am careful in the garage, but it doesn't take much to fuck you up, like this right here. It hurt to the point that I passed out. I came to and I see axle on my foot. Pick up axle and I start picking up my tools. I'm thinking I need to clean up before I go to the hosiptal, not sure why, but that's what I did. A good 5 minutes pass before my brain kicked in and then I felt pain. I don't know what a D30 weighs, I know I have been picking it up and moving it around, so maybe 150lbs at most?... Not much, but it was still enough to fuck me up. I'd post a pic of my toe, but it's really gross.

I get to the ER (oh and driving standard with a busted left foot sucks!) and I tell the guy at the counter:
An axle fell on my foot and I think somethins is broke. I hurts BAD!"
Is it bleeding?
"No, don't think so. I didn't take my boot off so I'm not sure"
ok, well sit down and we'll be right with you

Yeah, 45 minutes later, I get taken in, pull off my boot, and the guys it like, damn looks like it hurts!... "No kidding, I told you that". X ray shows my big toe is broken like right before the joint, clean break right in 2. They gave me oxycoden which is helping some, but still hurts...

OverkillZJ
05-26-2005, 01:00 AM
Dude. That sucks!

But I bet that you already knew that :rock:

nate
05-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Yeah. Oh, the guy also was like, who brought you in? "I drove".. Huh?. Then I walked down to xray, he kept on offering a wheel chair... screw that, I walked :mrgreen:

It hurts, but I can guarentee I'll be back to "ok" by the end of next week. I'm just stubborn like that. Can't stop going for minor stuff like that.

nate
05-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Well talk about a sleepless night. They gave me percoset. That stuff is junk. I'm convinced they are sugar pills or something.

OverkillZJ
05-26-2005, 02:29 PM
Well talk about a sleepless night. They gave me percoset. That stuff is junk. I'm convinced they are sugar pills or something.

Wow, when my appendix went BOOM, they gave me percose. That stuff would knock me on my ass! I'm serious, I was all... I LOVE YOU MAN! :partyman:

BigDaveZJ
05-26-2005, 02:33 PM
That stuff would knock me on my ass! I'm serious, I was all... I LOVE YOU MAN! :partyman:

Moab beer flavored water knocks you on your ass light weight!!

. . . . and no, you can't have my bud light.

Bustin' Loose
05-26-2005, 03:13 PM
Poor Matthew...he will never get past the fact that half beer at high altitudes knocks him on his ass.... It's the altitude that get's you sea level people. :smt003

So I'm thinking wrenching in my bare feet ain't such a good idea. But I don't own any steel toe boots. Damn it...add that to the damn list I've got going.

Demerol...that's where it's at Nate....get some of that. It will knock you on your ass. Perc's did zippo for me. I was like you've got to be shitin' me right? Codine of any form, nope, nadda.

Demerol...ahhhhhhhh....sleepy time. Just don't take em during the day when you actually want to be able to function.

OverkillZJ
05-26-2005, 04:46 PM
That stuff would knock me on my ass! I'm serious, I was all... I LOVE YOU MAN! :partyman:

Moab beer flavored water knocks you on your ass light weight!!

. . . . and no, you can't have my bud light.

All altitude and alcohol considered, I thought I was doing pretty well!

Kraqa
05-26-2005, 09:06 PM
i'v drank up the snow board mountain and man a micky will get you HAMMERED> i couldn't imagin in moab. this is gonna be interesting. who wants to see a drunk Canadian fall off moab rim???

OverkillZJ
05-26-2005, 09:19 PM
i'v drank up the snow board mountain and man a micky will get you HAMMERED> i couldn't imagin in moab. this is gonna be interesting. who wants to see a drunk Canadian fall off moab rim???

What was the altitude there? Moab isn't THAT high, just compared to my usual 800-1100 feet that I have around here. You should see me at about 13-14,000 - I'M JUST PLAIN HIGH!

Anyway, I learned a few more lessons today.
-Don't wear Jesus sandles while using a wire wheel to grind off rust. It shoots metal shards into your toes causing you to situp real fast under the jeep hitting your head on the transfer case. Owe.

Oh and don't spray brake cleaner into your eyes. Damn wind.[/list]

BigDaveZJ
05-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Another note from Matt, don't spray paint in your hair!!

Moab is only 4,000 or so feet, so it's not too bad. The night before we go to Moab we'll be at 6,200 feet though . . . .

JpRngr
05-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Moab is only 4,000 or so feet, so it's not too bad. The night before we go to Moab we'll be at 6,200 feet though . . . .

Where you going that's going to be 1000 feet higher than Denver? I thought you were partying at "The Rock"!

Corey

JeepinHank
05-27-2005, 09:36 AM
On the wire wheel thing - wear a full face shield and not just safety glasses. I was out using the wire wheel one night last week, and I was using my glasses instead of a shield. When I came in that night, I was cleaning up a bit before bed, and saw a big ass bump on my forehead. Looked a bit closer, and realized I had a piece of wire (about 1/2" long) stuck in my head.

OverkillZJ
05-27-2005, 09:39 AM
On the wire wheel thing - wear a full face shield and not just safety glasses. I was out using the wire wheel one night last week, and I was using my glasses instead of a shield. When I came in that night, I was cleaning up a bit before bed, and saw a big ass bump on my forehead. Looked a bit closer, and realized I had a piece of wire (about 1/2" long) stuck in my head.

I learned to use a full shield when I got a spark embedded in my goggles an inch dead ahead of my eyeball... That was really scary!

dasVettemeister
05-27-2005, 02:56 PM

Two vicodin, a six-pack, and a fatty spliff..... You'll feel no pain.

rubicondave33
05-27-2005, 07:34 PM
A full face shield is a good idea when doing any kind of grinding. Sometimes the metal shavings or pieces of the wheel can bounce off of your face and get behind the safety glasses, and into your eye.
We are required to wear full face shields at work when we do any grinding or cutting, for that reason.

nate
06-03-2005, 07:33 AM
Well I went to the Dr's Wednesday for a checkup. This time they look at my old xrays, and big toe is shattered in 5 pieces... before I was told clean brake in 2. WTF?

I was also told not to expect full use of my toe because I messed it up that bad. I have at least 3-4 weeks before I will be close to normal they said. Right now it's got several big blood blisters and my nail is starting to fall off.. Shitty stuff.

At work, I now spend 10hrs a day cleaning tools and answering phones because just about all the work we do requires steel toe boots... and my little foam shoe thing just doesn't cut it. It sucks sitting on my ass pretending to work when the 6 or 7 other guys are busting there ass trying to make deadlines... when I should be there helping them out.

Bustin' Loose
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
slack ass . . .

j/k

That sucks man. But not much you can do. It's just gonna make for long work days.

CurtP
06-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Watch what steel toed boots you buy too - some of them are downright dangerous if they ever got hit. I've seen some ugly stuff happen with shitty steel toed boots back when I used to be in the Navy. I always look for ANSI Z41.1 rated steel toed shoes, but they're usually pretty pricey. But hey, what price can you put on PPE? :smt003

nate
06-25-2005, 06:10 AM
Yeah I get free boots at work, so not too bad of a deal.

Oh... update. About a month has gone by. My toe is still messed up. I'm just at the point where I can almost walk normal, still painful though. I have maybe 30% range of motion and Dr thinks it won't get much better. Sucks.

Oh, yeah.. they are making me run for my annual PT test too. I haven't run for a good while cause of the toe... I am so failing this. I still hobble around and I'm supposed to run? :rolleyes:

TrojanMan
07-22-2005, 01:00 AM
Oxycodone doesn't do shit for me, either. I need to get something stronger to take to school with me for those real bad headache nights (I have 2 pulled muscles in my back/neck/head).

BTW I got some steel toed tennis shoes from wal-mart a few years ago. They're damn comfortable to be 20 bucks, slip resistant (that's why I got them, I worked at outback steakhouse so I had to wear those when I was in the kitchen), and have a pretty good steel toe. I tested it out one day with a large framing nail gun, held up just fine. I was happy and impressed. I suggest everybody to go and get some if you don't have any steel toed shoes.