PDA

View Full Version : tranny slipping/idle problems

rrubio
05-24-2005, 10:54 PM
No codes came up.Just happen this evening.My engine RPM's jumped 1k then back down then when I gave it gas it went up 1k above normal.So is felt like the tranny was slipping.Checked the fluids when I got home and it looks brand new since it was done about 2 months ago.
Then I went to start it up again and it would not idle unless i keep the gas on.This went on for a few minutes then finally it stabilzed and I was able to let off the gas and it idled on it's own.
Could something cause both of the incidents to happen?
Ramon

rrubio
05-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Ok now im a bit confused.Just got back from a test drive and everything seems good to go.The only thing I did was reset the computer and clean off the terminal cables.Maybe a sensor?Still not getting no errors.

Nordic1
05-25-2005, 03:56 AM
TPS sensor

dasVettemeister
05-25-2005, 04:11 AM
Doesn't sound like a TPS sensor. It sounds like your IAC valve was probably sticking. Carbon build-up on the plunger. Trans issue was a coincidence.

norton
05-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Doesn't sound like a TPS sensor. It sounds like your IAC valve was probably sticking. Carbon build-up on the plunger. Trans issue was a coincidence.

Hes prolly right. Take out your IAC and clean that pita with a toothbrush and some carb cleaner (deep creep is the shiznite). There should be a bunch of gunk all over the spring and such. Just get as much off as possible and put it back in.

My Jeep was doing the same thing and this fixed it right up.

O ya, I also replaced the belt tensioner while I was at it .. that bitch ass belt had been squeeking outa control. I dunno if that had anything to with anything, but it was making a loud noise and I had to stop it :weedman:

rrubio
05-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks guys..

rrubio
05-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Shit.I thought it was ok but I knew it was to good to be true.Ran good all day then on my way to work this evening it started to act up again so I had to turn around and come home.This time just as I got home my engine light came on and this time I was able to retrieve a code 1757- which is the transmission sensor code.Now im waiting for it to cool down before I pull it off.Do they just pop off or how do they come off?Im sure it's easy enough for me to figure it out but just want to make it as easy as possible without any problems.Im assuming I have the 42re correct?Instead of the 42RFE.I have the parts list CD and it list both of them for the 4.0.So which tranny do I have.Boy I sound like a damn newbie here.But I never had any problems with my WJ that I did not cause myself wheeling.

rrubio
05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
The only place that carries it is the Stealership and they closed 5 minutes ago so now im going to have to wait till morning to get one.So below is a pic that I believe is it.Am I correct,i unplugged it. Theres a few other but im not sure which one it is.Nevermind that pic is for the transmission Neutral safety switch.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/01WJ/sensor002.jpg

rrubio
05-25-2005, 10:04 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/01WJ/sensor3.jpg

Is this it? the only other sensor on the tranny.

dasVettemeister
05-25-2005, 10:11 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it could be a sensor/solenoid in the valvebody of the transmission. (Yup, that's inside) I know on some GM products that is fairly common. I'm not totally familiar with the electronic workings of the Mopar trannies....

rrubio
05-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it could be a sensor/solenoid in the valvebody of the transmission. (Yup, that's inside) I know on some GM products that is fairly common. I'm not totally familiar with the electronic workings of the Mopar trannies....
I hope not.That I will have to take in to repair.But I pretty sure it's on the outside because the parts list im looking at refers to the outside of the tranny there is another section there has the inners parts

rrubio
05-25-2005, 11:10 PM
After furter investingated online dasVettemeister is correct it is inside but it's inside the pan.So I just have to drop the pan and im good to go.So according to my Powetrain Diagnostic Procedures Book,it may be the sensor or the solenoid.So to be on the safe side I will replace both of those bad boys.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/graphics/83248769.gif

dasVettemeister
05-25-2005, 11:19 PM
Well then, from the way you have described the problem it has something to do with converter lockup function. More than likely will be the TCC solenoid allowing lockup in 1st gear. Did the problem only occur while in gear or in neutral at idle? I could be wrong but I've seen the same thing in the later GM 700-4R and 4L60E transmissions. What sensor does the trouble code indicate? Generally you won't see a solenoid take a crap. They do tend to stick though sometimes especially if the fluid is crudded up to any extent.

rrubio
05-25-2005, 11:25 PM
Well im draining my fluid right now.The only thing that sucks is that I was going to runs synthetic fluid in there but since I don't have time to order tha Amsoil like I wanted to the regular stuff is going to have to do.

rrubio
05-25-2005, 11:31 PM
Im getting the 1757 error code- Governor pressure above 3psi in gear with 0mph,that is whay my book says.There is a list of possible causes in the book also.Two of which could be the sensor or the solenoid.
It only accurs while im trying to move forward in 1st gear my rpms would go up but the jeep would not speed up.I would have to go nice and slow for it to pick up speed.But if I park it for a bit everything would be normal.During park my idle is fine expcept for yesterday when it would not idle at all but that has not happen today.I could sit at a light and my rpm's would be normal even witht he AC on.

rrubio
05-25-2005, 11:47 PM
I hate changing the damn fluid in there.Why don't thay have a plug like the oil pan does?I always end up making a damn mess no matter how carefull I am.Luckily the mess is on a large piece of cardboard,i knew I would need it.

rrubio
05-26-2005, 12:39 PM
Well after 232.00 bones later I think she is fixed.Sensor,solenoid and ATF-4.

OverkillZJ
05-26-2005, 03:13 PM

Hey, better than a new tranny! :rock:

nathaniel
05-26-2005, 04:08 PM
My 93 used to do the same thing. Be inline at fast food place and the thing would try to take off lurch forward and try to stall if it wasn't allowed to move(ie brakes) Mine was the governor pressure sensor. i had just replaced the solenoid a few months before thanks to some rocks smashing it. When the solenoid doesn't work I had major slippage occuring had to be drug home so I wouldn't damage the tranny.

rrubio
05-31-2005, 01:00 AM
Well after a trip to Fort Collings this weekend,she ran excellent.

G_Un1t
07-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Im getting the 1757 error code- Governor pressure above 3psi in gear with 0mph,that is whay my book says.There is a list of possible causes in the book also.Two of which could be the sensor or the solenoid.
It only accurs while im trying to move forward in 1st gear my rpms would go up but the jeep would not speed up.I would have to go nice and slow for it to pick up speed.But if I park it for a bit everything would be normal.During park my idle is fine expcept for yesterday when it would not idle at all but that has not happen today.I could sit at a light and my rpm's would be normal even witht he AC on.

I have the same error code on my WJ on top of that I just got a P1762 which means Governor Pressure Sensor Offset Volts Too Low or High.

My WJ was hitting 2nd gear and then it would just rev to about 4000K and no jump to 3rd. I figured it was something to do with my cone airfilter falling off which it had so I reattached it and it seemed to fix the problem. But i still had the error code so I just figured it would go away or something. Well today I was driving and the same thing happened again it would rev to 4000k and not shift so I opened my hood my airfilter was fine so I gave it a rest and started it up and drove and everything was fine the transmission shifted smooth. When I was done driving I checked my codes again because it was still showing up and now it shows me a 1757 and a 1762 error code I just want to know what does this mean? and if I should take a trip to the stealership?

G_Un1t
07-13-2005, 02:37 PM

Just got back from the transmission shop cost me $320 for the same thing. but at least its working fine now. Looks like thats the fix for that code.

Cue-Ball
07-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Well im draining my fluid right now.The only thing that sucks is that I was going to runs synthetic fluid in there but since I don't have time to order tha Amsoil like I wanted to the regular stuff is going to have to do.

Just let me know the next time you go to change it. :supz:

Next time you go to drain it, install a drain plug it is well worth it.

My Jeep is at the tranny shop right now as it happens, I have a leak we just can't seem to track down so it had to go to the shop. We are thinking it is the gasket between the tranny and the overdrive housing. Still waiting to hear from the shop as to what it is and more importantly what it's going to cost me.

Dirk

piecesnparts
08-19-2008, 09:07 PM
My 93 used to do the same thing. Be inline at fast food place and the thing would try to take off lurch forward and try to stall if it wasn't allowed to move(ie brakes) Mine was the governor pressure sensor.

I have the exact same prob. All the shops around here say I need a new tranny. Mine doesnt do it very often and there is no code, do you think it is still the governor pressure sensor