PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with removing stubborn u-joints

OverkillZJ
05-24-2005, 02:48 PM
I felt this wasn't really drivetrain tech, and a lil' above Newb, so I'll try it here :weedman:

I got hold of a used Warn hub conversion kit. The axles have Warn outers, 297 joints, and stock inners. I decided to get rid of the 297's and stock inners, replacing them with 760's and Warn inners. I am able to seperate the stock inners from the ujoints, PITA as always but they come off.

I'm having trouble pressing the ujoints out of the Warn outers. I can't even get the clips out (not full circle clips either) - I've used every trick I know, such as shifting the joint in the press slightly to free up the pressure off of one of the clips in order to remove it, but can't get it to budge. I've used a BFH on the ears to try and shock it loose, various fluids, but I'm afraid to use heat since there are heat treated even around the yoke ears.

Any ideas?

Ken L
05-24-2005, 04:25 PM
You have the joint seperated from the inner, right?

I've cut both the u-joint ears just below the cups with a cut off wheel and pressed out the cups. Don't need to take the inner clip out that way, either.

Well, pressed and used a BFH.

AprilzWarrior
05-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Ive crushed my Snap-On Impact sockets trying to hammer out stuck caps... Get a bigger hammer and hit it harder !

I got my sockets warrantied too !

AW

Jim311
05-24-2005, 05:38 PM
A bench vise and ball peen hammer have always worked wonders for me.

dasVettemeister
05-24-2005, 05:47 PM
My answer for anything is either use a fire-wrench or get a bigger hammer. In this case I have to say get a bigger hammer and hit it harder. Oh yeah, and put your purse down first, it'll make the operation easier. :finga: (I keed!!! I keed!!!)

OverkillZJ
05-24-2005, 08:48 PM
bigger hammer isn't gonna do it, I had enough pressure ont he ears in the press that it was visibly bending the yoke on my good axle. Think I'm gonna cut them out, was just trying to avoid that PITA. Oh well, whatever it takes to get the job done!

Jim311
05-24-2005, 09:14 PM
You've tried the bench vise method? I put my XJ shafts into a 50 ton press and it wouldn't budge them, but when I struck them right in a vice they popped right out. Just support one side (The side you're not hitting) on TOP of the vice, and pound away. A few good hits usually breaks it....

OverkillZJ
05-24-2005, 09:17 PM
Ya, I started at the vice, the press was the last resort. I thought the vibration / force from the pounding would do it. I've delt with many many ujoints, but for some reason these are being more stubborn :drinkers:

Jim311
05-24-2005, 09:33 PM
So the clips are stuck on still? If they are, they aren't going anywhere.. gotta address that problem first. Generally pounding them in both direction with a hammer in the vice breaks them loose enough to pop them off. I had to use a cold chisel on mine.

OverkillZJ
05-25-2005, 12:06 AM
So the clips are stuck on still? If they are, they aren't going anywhere.. gotta address that problem first. Generally pounding them in both direction with a hammer in the vice breaks them loose enough to pop them off. I had to use a cold chisel on mine.

Trust me, done it. I've probably changed 40-70 297's and 760's in D30's between my friends and I. I've seen stubborn, this is just regodamndiculous. I'll give it another shot later when I feel likt it...

Jim311
05-25-2005, 12:10 AM
How big is your hammer? :mrgreen:

I've actually found that the hammer works better than the press, oddly enough. The ears on mine started to distort before I let off. It was on a 50 ton press.

nate
05-25-2005, 06:25 AM
How about a ball joint press? I just bought a nice Matco one the other day to use for U joints amoung other things.

OverkillZJ
05-25-2005, 09:22 AM
How about a ball joint press? I just bought a nice Matco one the other day to use for U joints amoung other things.

Have / tried that too. That's my normal method.

It's a 20 ton press and these are Warn shafts, I'd rather not distort the ears. It's a big hammer though ;)

I'll get back to it in a couple days or so, dont' have time now :(

nate
05-25-2005, 05:18 PM
What I have done before is dremel the caps apart. When I put new U joints in mine I had to do that. Took like 4 hrs to replace 2 u joints. I wonder if putting a small amount of antisieze before install would help out the next time you change them? :rolleyes:

Cody
05-25-2005, 05:40 PM
can't you take an aul (sp) or something and break the cap into pieces?

Cody

OverkillZJ
05-25-2005, 05:42 PM
What I have done before is dremel the caps apart. When I put new U joints in mine I had to do that. Took like 4 hrs to replace 2 u joints. I wonder if putting a small amount of antisieze before install would help out the next time you change them? :rolleyes:

I'd You mean antisieze the caps in the yokes? I bet it'd just promote the caps to turn, wallowing out the holes and causing another BOOM! noise that I know so well ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll give it another shot when I have more patience. Just opened up another can of worms by pulling the rear axle out of the jeep... Ya, I have some work to do...

gsh
05-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Sometimes it only takes a little heat. I use just a propane torch most of the time. Apply it just to the ears to get them to expand. A propane torch will take a while to put enough heat to affect the heat treating.

nate
05-25-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah Matt, that's what I was thinking as well, but it was an idea.

Swamp boy
05-28-2005, 03:52 AM
Mail that crap to me.. I will give you $50 for the whole set with the stuck U joints...

:smt003

I just use a bFH and a socket... I do occasionally have to spray some PB BLaster on ....

OverkillZJ
05-28-2005, 10:10 AM
Mail that crap to me.. I will give you $50 for the whole set with the stuck U joints...

:smt003

I just use a bFH and a socket... I do occasionally have to spray some PB BLaster on ....

I think you're missing the point, I'm not a newb to changing joints, I'm a newb to joints that are so rusted together even an experienced guy is getting pissed off at them :weedman:

$50? Add a couple zero's and you've got a deal!

OverkillZJ
05-29-2005, 09:21 AM
Ok, got them out, and the new shafts all put together. I let them soak in PB blaster for a couple of days THEN put them in the 20 ton press. When they popped, it was so loud I couldn't hear anythign but a ringing noise in my right ear for a couple of hours.

BANG!

shayzj
05-29-2005, 09:47 AM
You are not the only one Matt. I have changed u-joints before no problem but not these damn 25 year old rusted ass waggy shafts. THose puppies were in there!

My press was really pushing and they finally let go with a huge bang. Problem is I slightly tweak the ears getting them out. Should I but something in between the yoke ears while pressing out the Ujoints. I have fucked up two shafts one is unusable and blew the end off of three 760 caps doing this shit.

All this shit I have accomplished and the friggin axle ujoints are what have kicked my ass the most.

Shay

CurtP
05-29-2005, 10:42 AM
$50? Add a couple zero's and you've got a deal!

Ok, $50.00 :smt003

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-29-2005, 12:42 PM
you all are spoiled having a press? bah who needs it. a block of wood, a BFH, and a craftsman socket have always worked for me.

OverkillZJ
05-29-2005, 01:33 PM
you all are spoiled having a press? bah who needs it. a block of wood, a BFH, and a craftsman socket have always worked for me.

As it would on most ujoints. 15 year old 44 shafts and rusted out warn shafts require more tools than a block of wood and a hammer.