PDA

View Full Version : Could a bad bearing cause a ujoint to explode?

Trancezj
05-23-2005, 08:57 AM
Well, as far as I'm concerned I brought yesterday on myself. I did go over my jeep before we rode, spent about 2 hours inspecting things. Now, Sat I ment to spend the day stripping my parts waggy but instead I realized that my axle side track bar mount was 3/4 ripped off. Sweet, so instead of collecting spare parts I get to fab up a new trackbar / bottom spring pad. So moral of that story, No spare parts for sunday. Any way, I do notice some play in passenger side wheel. I kinda figured I'd fix it later since I was towing it. Well just going up some easy shit, my passenger side ujoint blew and clearly took out the inner shaft. When I was pulling it apart to remove it and at least still cruise around in 3wd, the inner wheelbearing exploded. Think this was the cause of the break? I even have hub fuses.

fyi, it's realy fun driving it with a bearing "skeleton". I thought I had my spare and I didn't. I'm smart.

Trancezj
05-23-2005, 12:37 PM
any one?

Jim311
05-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I think it's more likely that the ujoint failure lead to the wheel bearing breakage and not the other way around. Did one of your caps loosen and come out by chance?

Trancezj
05-23-2005, 02:59 PM
I think it's more likely that the ujoint failure lead to the wheel bearing breakage and not the other way around. Did one of your caps loosen and come out by chance?
doubtfull, they were welded.

JeepinHank
05-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Just for clarification, are you talking about bearings as in hub, or bearings as in carrier?

I know, I'm an idiot, but humor me. :smt003

Trancezj
05-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Just for clarification, are you talking about bearings as in hub, or bearings as in carrier?

I know, I'm an idiot, but humor me. :smt003
Oh hub, didn't think to metion which one.

Jim311
05-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Was there any evidence of wear/damage to the ujoints where the needle bearings ride on the race? You were just cruising on an easy trail driving in a straight line when it blew up? Not reversing with the wheels turned or anything?

Swamp boy
05-23-2005, 08:22 PM
I know improperly adjusted steering stops will bust a Ujoint but never heard of bad bearing doing so...

Maybe you are the first..

There has to be a first time for everything otherwise It doesnt exist... :smt003 :smt003

Trancezj
05-24-2005, 09:04 AM
yeah I was just going straight. I dunno, got new wheelbearings coming so we'll see if that does anything.