PDA

View Full Version : Chevy Steering... 1/2 ton, 3/4, 1 ton... whatever it is...

nate
05-23-2005, 04:52 AM
Hey guys that did this 1 ton swap, how was your turning radius after? I am setting up mine, over the knuckle like many have done, and I really don't like the radius. Worse for a left turn, cause the track bar mount.

I have the over the axle bracket for the track bar, and I modified it to get the most clearance, like I can't move it further back or it will be in the spring and my track bar will hit the UCA mount. I've got all this so close that I grinded a bit on the spring even to give me more clearance.

Anyway, I'm going to need like 4, maybe 5 washers so I don't slam the tie rod on teh TB bracket/coil bucket.

Is this the way it's supposed to turn out? Using 1.25" DOM, I don't see how the heck 1.5" would work at all even.

nathaniel
05-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Yes turning radius turns to crap. I cut everything off so that the tie rod hits the spring first. it helps When you have 35" tires it really isn't that much of a loss of turning radius though. about the only thing you can do to help it is either put a bend in draglink and add another adjustment spot or bend the the t tie rod a little to clear the brackets better.

nate
05-23-2005, 11:44 AM
Ok cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something weird. I'm running bascially a 35.5" (Q78x15 TSL), so I'm thinking that the tire will rub, or be real close to rubbing the LCA before I hit the steering stop. That will be ok.

Yeah I did the same thing, I even ground a bit off the end of the spring to give me that much more turning. I think staying under the knuckle, a person wouldn't have any problems. I'm not sure how the draglink to tie rod angle would turn out though.

Nordic1
05-23-2005, 12:33 PM
http://www.fototime.com/%7BA3FD719E-5EA7-4A61-99A9-6F72E387A307%7D/picture.JPG

Dito... When I orgininally did the steering, I trimmed the spring perches all the way back to the spring. I think I ended up bending my pass TRE on the trackbar mount. Recently I butchered everything else and went over the axle with the trackbar mount. If you get the chance, go over the axle with the trackbar; it'll help both your turning radius and your bumpsteer.

nate
05-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Yeah the trackbar is over the axle. I will have to shorten the trackbar like maybe 1-1.5" I think, but the angles look good from what I have guesstimated so far.

nate
06-06-2005, 05:02 AM
Yeah I drove around a bit and I have to put more washers on the stops. Tires are grabbing on the arms pretty hard. So I was all worried and pissed about a shitty radius, and it's the damb tires in the way. I suppose I could run some spacers if I really wanted to kill the D30 :mrgreen:

Kraqa
06-06-2005, 03:19 PM
CV's chase????

:smt018

no wonder you break stuff in the parkign lot.

Cue-Ball
06-06-2005, 03:22 PM
CV's chase????

BWAAAAHHH

Nordic1
06-06-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks dirk
:gayflag:
your input is always apreciated

CV's chase????

I broke 3 CVs on 31"s and I have yet to break one on 35"s. Wierd... I'm changing my hubs/ball joints next weekend and I have u-jointed shafts will alloy inners ready to go in.

nate
06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
CVs :butthead:

I gernaded 2 of those on a S-10 Blazer with 215/75/15 Wild Countrys :mrgreen: