PDA

View Full Version : Tranny woes - advice needed

msucase
05-22-2005, 08:35 PM
About a week ago my tranny started really hanging on the shift from 2nd to 3rd. It now runs about 2-500 RPM higher than normal before shifting and the shift takes about 2-3 sec. All other shifts are fine and OD functions as expected. Under heavy throttle, the shift is almost normal. I checked fluid and it was full. I had the fluid changed about 10-15k ago and haven't had any leaks. So, after researching and reading my manual I decided that I wanted to:

1. Change fluid and filter
2. Adjust transmission bands
3. Install a shift kit (B&M, TransGo, etc.)

Problem #1: No one locally had a shift kit in stock and I needed to try and get something done this weekend while I had time to work on it. I decided to go ahead w/o the shift kit and add it later. Any recommendations on which shift kit will give the best results? How involved is a shift kit install? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but haven't spent much time tearing into transmissions.

Problem #2: After dumping fluid all over the apt parking lot (I'm putting in a drain plug to avoid this next time) I went to adjust the bands only to find that the adjustment bolt has a square head. Since I needed to torque this to 72 in/lbs and then back off 2 turns I figured I'd have to find a 5/16" crow's foot wrench to put on the torque wrench. I spend a few hours today driving around to every place that has tools looking for one or anything else that I could use. No luck. How can I torque this correctly so that I can eliminate the band adjustment as the shifting problem?

BTW - The fluid was in good condition and only minimal metal shavings in the bottom of the pan.

Problem #3: I went to put everything back together so that it would be drivable this week (this is the DD) and a friend handed me the red RTV and told me that I needed to use it to prevent any leaks. Not thinking, I applied the RTV and rubber gasket and put the pan on. But when torquing the pan the RTV caused the gasket to push out at the rear of the pan and actually broke around one of the bolts. It did seal, but I certainly don't like the way it came out. I plan to find a solution to problem #2 and get back into it next weekend and put on a new gasket. I'm assuming the rubber gasket should be fine without any additional sealant this time.

Those of you who've dealt with these transmissions please shed some light on these issues and let me know of any other adjustments that I can make to get this tranny shifting properly again. I have checked the cable to the throttle body and it seems to be well adjusted and moves with the throttle cable and has no slack.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for the help.

OverkillZJ
05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Kickdown cable?