PDA

View Full Version : Lift for 89 YJ

RollinBallsDeep
05-22-2005, 05:40 PM
I have just bought a 89 YJ and am trying to find a lift for it. I have been looking and I have been finding lifts up to 4" and am trying to find somthing bigger, maybe around 6-8". I'm not sure on where to look to find a lift for my Jeep, so any help and imput on weather I should convert to coil over or just stick with leaf springs would be great.

Thanks,

Marc

BigDaveZJ
05-22-2005, 05:46 PM
With the short wheelbase of a YJ, be ready for things like a slip yoke eliminator kit and new rear driveshaft to help ease some of the vibes.

Really don't see why you would need 8" of lift either.

What do you plan on doing with the rig? What size tires do you want to run? What kind of terrain do you usually wheel on?

RollinBallsDeep
05-22-2005, 06:05 PM
Its going to be for alot of rock crawling and some trail but not much. I have brand new 38.5" boggers that I am going to use. Do you think I can clear with a 6"?

BMRisko
05-22-2005, 09:44 PM
Its going to be for alot of rock crawling and some trail but not much. I have brand new 38.5" boggers that I am going to use. Do you think I can clear with a 6"?

What axles are you going to be swapping in? You can clear anything with enough sheetmetal cutting.

LouisianaZJ
05-22-2005, 10:09 PM
SOA it, that will be like 4" plus what ever springs you put on it. not that big of a deal since you will be swapping axles

plan on D60's with those axle bustin boggers

RollinBallsDeep
05-23-2005, 01:30 AM
I was planning on going with 60's, right now im running it with the stock axels with front and rear ARB's and front and rear ring and pinion. Any imput with be great. Thanks,

Marc

screendoor41
05-24-2005, 12:31 AM
Do the SOA with RE leafs. Alot of guys aso go to a cv drive shaft too.

nate
05-24-2005, 04:17 AM
If you do a spring over, a traction bar is a very good idea. I have seen alot of broken parts from axle wrap on YJs after a SOA.

MendoZJ
05-24-2005, 07:51 PM
:withstup:
My YJ with SOA gets rediculous axle wrap. My custom traction bar should be done soon. :rock:

RollinBallsDeep
05-25-2005, 03:25 AM
Could someone point me in the right direction for traction bars? Like a website that I can order them off of? I'm doing the rubicon express SOA and their reverse shackels, is their stuff worth the money or could I find a different company for the same amount of money and is better? Thanks

-Marc

MendoZJ
05-25-2005, 03:05 PM
Sams Offroad sells 2 versions of traction bars

http://www.samsoffroad.com/samsoffroadsto/index.html
and click on

"traction bars" on the left hand menu

RollinBallsDeep
05-25-2005, 03:57 PM
thanks man

-Marc

ptownTSI
06-11-2005, 05:05 AM
lets get that bitch on the trial one of these days! either that or a grand...grands are nice since they are warm, have a/c, sit more people...

robselina
06-13-2005, 05:25 PM
REs HD spring over YJ leafs are inverted eye which helps a LOT with axle wrap. I'd just run these with the D60s and maybe a 2" body lift if you need it (plus a little trimming of course)....

Pitch
06-16-2005, 12:12 AM
REs HD spring over YJ leafs are inverted eye which helps a LOT with axle wrap. I'd just run these with the D60s and maybe a 2" body lift if you need it (plus a little trimming of course)....

x2. RE, BDS, or custom Alcan springs used SOA are the way to go. BDS if you are on more of a budget. Keep the SOA springs to 2" of lift or less. It will flex like mad. To clear those rubbers, trimming will be necessary. Don't body lift over 1.5 or 2" max... or it gets ghey. A SYE will be necessary in the rear, and steering mods likely. Ditch your trackbars front and rear, then wheel.

Skyjacker also makes off the shelf traction bars... can't speak to their quality though. I have no need for them SUA at 4.5" of lift with 33's.