PDA

View Full Version : death wobble

1badgrand
05-20-2005, 06:29 PM
just got my jeep back from the alignment shop and drove it on the highway home. went over a bridge and the jeeps front end started vibrating and felt like it was going to crash. does anybody know how to fix this problem?

matt

OverkillZJ
05-20-2005, 06:35 PM
Yes, take it back to the shop and kick someones ass.

Off to newb tech.

PassRunnerZJ
05-21-2005, 12:17 AM
While it is back at the alignment shop have the tech remove the track bar bolt and make sure it isn't ovaled out. If so weld a new washer over the oval for more strength. If it isn't ovaled, then the tech really messed it up, assuming that your tires are balanced... Reseach DW.

LouisianaZJ
05-21-2005, 02:01 AM
dude if you get DW on a STOCK WJ, something is seriously messed up (missing bolts etc) or someone did a really crappy job aligning a freaking WJ which is only 1 real adjustment, the toe

1badgrand
05-23-2005, 05:57 PM
its not stock height,its lifted 8 inches and all the bolts are there and tight. my buddies dad owns a shop and he said it might be the steering stabalizer.

matt

OverkillZJ
05-23-2005, 06:07 PM
its not stock height,its lifted 8 inches and all the bolts are there and tight. my buddies dad owns a shop and he said it might be the steering stabalizer.

matt

A steering stablizer will only mask an underlying problem. I'm at 7" on 35's and dont even run one. I hit 110MPH with no vibes. It's all about a well dialed in suspension system.

Jim311
05-23-2005, 06:51 PM

matt

A steering stablizer will only mask an underlying problem. I'm at 7" on 35's and dont even run one. I hit 110MPH with no vibes. It's all about a well dialed in suspension system.

And having a death wish.

OverkillZJ
05-23-2005, 07:24 PM

matt

And having a death wish.

Have you ever driven through Kansas? You can seen in any direction for 100 miles, animals and obstructions included. The only way I'm dying is if I jerk the wheel causing a barrel roll. I was looking for that "vibe" speed the rest of you talk of. All I found on my rig was a cut off speed :finga:

Jim311
05-23-2005, 07:37 PM

matt

And having a death wish.

Have you ever driven through Kansas? You can seen in any direction for 100 miles, animals and obstructions included. The only way I'm dying is if I jerk the wheel causing a barrel roll. I was looking for that "vibe" speed the rest of you talk of. All I found on my rig was a cut off speed :finga:

I have no vibes at any speed, but that doesn't mean I want to drive 110 MPH in a lifted rig with mud tires on it! Shit happens at 100+ mph that you can't plan for. I learned my lesson early on... high speeds in a lifted offroad vehicle are bad news...

1badgrand
05-23-2005, 11:36 PM
yeh i only hit 70 mph to keep up with traffic and i got it, im going to bring it to a shop soon. for now no highway driving.

matt

1badgrand
05-23-2005, 11:40 PM
overkillzj did you bring yours to a shop or did you dial it in yourself?

LouisianaZJ
05-23-2005, 11:57 PM

overkillkj is a shop built kinda guy :finga:

OverkillZJ
05-24-2005, 11:17 AM

overkillkj is a shop built kinda guy :finga:

LMFAO, a shop hasn't touched my ZJ since it had a budget boost. Backyard build > *.*

PassRunnerZJ
05-26-2005, 11:34 AM

matt

Remove the front track bar bolt and make sure that the bolt hole isn't ovaled, not just tightented. Mine was tightend to spec and I found an ovaled hole when I replaced the tb bushings. Do you have an adjustable track bar, is it lined up correctly, tires balanced, no mud on the inside of the rims...

bill~ns
05-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I would add a couple more degrees of caster from the stock settings and set the toe to O degrees... make sure your stabilizer is in good shape, ball joints, etc. All the steering components should have been checked for wear if the shop was any good... not to mention they love the chance to up sell you on parts.

Is this the first alignment after the lift, or has it always been fine?

Bill

Cue-Ball
05-26-2005, 11:49 AM
Yea the ovalled out hole will do it every time. Same thing happened to mine. Alll fixed now thanks to AW and a thick washer.

1badgrand
05-30-2005, 10:26 PM
first alignment after the lift was instaled. they said that i need one ball joint replaced so i said do it. the trackbar is adjustable and looks like its in the right spot. ill check and see if it ovoaled the hole and if it did ill just get the bracket welded in.

G_Un1t
07-07-2005, 12:53 AM

matt

And having a death wish.

I would just worry about your mud tires speed rating

paulkeith
07-07-2005, 02:09 PM
uhh, out of curiosity, is "adding caster" pinion up or down

Paul

FinlayZJ
07-07-2005, 02:11 PM
pinion down