PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze smell question

Mabdaddy
05-20-2005, 02:29 PM
94 5.2L

Has an antifreeze smell after driving it. Not dripping. No leaks that you can see and I really looked. Wouldn't it seem like if it was a head gasket that you wouldn't smell anything? But possibly a leaking radiator could be the problem? It does 'use' antifreeze'. Thanks for any experience or suggestions!

Marc

dasVettemeister
05-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Sometimes a leak will not be easy to see/find. Especially very small ones as they evaporate quickly when hot. Look for telltale signs such as a whitish/green residue at all hose junctions. If it's a head gasket, you will see deposits on the spark plugs or a lovely "milkshake" effect in the oil. Good luck.

OverkillZJ
05-20-2005, 07:30 PM
Can sometimes be your heater core too.

Mabdaddy
05-20-2005, 10:03 PM
I'll check everything again. It did have a leak in the thermostat housing but I replaced it and it's fine now. Thought the smell I was smelling was the antifreeze that leaked out on the enigine burning off but that was 1200 miles ago. Smell seems to be coming from up by the radiator though or front of the engine. Oil is fine.

Jeepinparrothead
05-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Can sometimes be your heater core too.

Yes it can. And when it is you get "smoke" coming out of your vents when you turn your heat on. Then and only then are you honestly cool :supz: