PDA

View Full Version : 5.2 won't start, no power to ignition coil

greenhunter
05-17-2005, 03:14 PM
my brother's 95 won't start after we replaced his water pump. actually, it started after the first time he replaced it, but since he set up the gasket wrong, it leaked and i had to redo it. that's when it wouldn't work. i know it's not a fuel problem, the plugs have gas on them after trying to start it.

after some quick testing, we found that no power is getting to the ignition coil. it gets some juice at the begining then quits. we haven't checked any farther up the line than the harness because he's decided that he wants to pay to get it fixed.

has anyone ever dealt with this kind of problem before? he says estimates have been as high as a grand, depending on what the problem could be. i'd rather help him fix it cheap than see him toss a thousand bucks away.

Swamp boy
05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Might possibly be CPS.. They are a little more than $50 .. And easy enough to do yourself..

OverkillZJ
05-17-2005, 07:58 PM
Does the ignition not get power when the CPS is reading wrong?

i was gonna say relay or fuse?

Swamp boy
05-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Pretty sure without signal from the CPS the coil doesnt throw spark..

I have been wrong before.. But I seem to remember changing a coil once and it didnt do squat.. Put in a new battery Cause I killed mine trying to start the damn thing............Not shit......

Scratched my head and my nuts and after 2 hours of staring at the engine decided to check CPS.. It was shot...
Put in a new one and it ran like a dream..

Got my fucking money back on the stupid coil and battery and bought some crank :smt033 and got shit headed.... :rofl:

But It could have all been in my imagination... :mrgreen:

greenhunter
05-18-2005, 01:40 PM
we checked all of the relays and fuses, they all work. the ign. coil gets power at the beggining but quits after that. juice is getting there somehow, but something stops it.

swamp boy, do you mean the crankshaft or camshaft position sensor? either way, thanks for the idea, we didn't think to check them. $50 is a whole lot better than what he was looking at spending just getting the jeep towed and diagnossed.

Got my fucking money back on the stupid coil and battery and bought some crank :smt033 and got shit headed.... :rofl:
:smt042

Swamp boy
05-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Crank Position sensor...

greenhunter
05-23-2005, 12:14 PM
ok, i got one, but now i can't find the one in the engine bay. i'm still using a haynes manual (that right there should kick this topic to newbie tech) and the complete lack of detail is making finding the cps very hard. it's on the passenger side, right? back near the bellhousing? i'm just not having any luck.