PDA

View Full Version : Power stearing issues

UNIMOG69
05-17-2005, 10:42 AM
I have speed sensitive power steering which is SUPPOSED to give extra assistance for parking and less at speed, and for some time now I have had issues with my power steering not giving any assistance at low speed, i.e. off road, and in parking lots and such. I have had both the pump and the gear box replaced and not a lot has changed. I have taken it back to the shop that replaced the parts and they were unable to reproduce the problems. It operates just fine with some throttle but at low rpm’s, when I’m just trying to turn at idle it’s as if I have no power assistance. I had planed on installing a cooler and thought that might help but am not sure that adding more fluid to an already troubled system will fix this problem. Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. THX
Brian

OverkillZJ
05-17-2005, 10:44 AM
Honestly, I think you'll have to live with it. Our steering boxes simply suck at low RPM's.

Proportional steering or not the steering pump just can't make the pressure that the steering box needs to assist very much at low RPM's.

You'll see me on the trails with my foot on the brake to keep the RPM's at a couple grand just so I can turn my wheels.

nate
05-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Hmm, I never had that problem. The Jeep is my first rig with power steering though :mrgreen:

robselina
05-18-2005, 12:25 AM
mine works about as good as any other PS system I've had (not including hydraulic assist or full hydro).

In terms of an easy fix, what about a smaller pump pulley? If you could get one 20% undersized that would solve your low RPM problem I bet w/o creating high rpm problems like cavitation....

LouisianaZJ
05-18-2005, 12:55 AM
if you still have the original POS 249 t-case it very well could cause hard steering at low speeds if the tc's VC is locking up

UNIMOG69
05-21-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the info. I do still have the stock 249 but I have "field" tested it and no binding so if you mean ‘locking up’ and it shouldn’t be then I think it's okay there, but if you mean it as a normal issue because the case is doing what it should then all is good there as well. so I'll have to live with it. Thanks again.