PDA

View Full Version : Bad News ARB is DOA Good News got a new one cheap

Mtn WJ
05-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Ok I tore down my rear diff on Saturday to find my air leak problem in my ARB. As it turns out the ARB was trashed inside. Looks like one of the side differential (spider) gears broke a tooth and damaged the sliding gage, locking ring, other differential gears and more. So I go the HCP4x4 to get parts. ARB sells all the parts I need but as it turns out they had a new in the box ARB for 250.00 for my WJ. The D35 in a WJ is a non C Clip and they ordered it by mistake for a TJ and already put on the bearings before they realized it. Not too many non C Clip D35's out there so it sat for awhile until today when they cut me a deal.

I had a slight twist on one of the axle shafts as well and ordered two new ones just to complete my diff re-build.

I should be ready for GSW.

Keith

Colorado 5.9
05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Lucky fuck! :finga:

JpRngr
05-16-2005, 02:56 PM
So it has bearings on it and you won't need me to swap them, correct?

Corey

BigDaveZJ
05-16-2005, 03:06 PM

:rofl:

Mtn WJ
05-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Corey yep it has the bearings already pressed on the ARB housing. I do neet to set up the ring gear play with the new housing.

I found out a couple more things since this AM.

The ARB I pulled out is specified by part number to fit the WJ D35 which as we know is a non C Clip. This is according to the ARB's guide sheet I downloaded off their web site. However it is the same one specd for C Clip YJ and TJ D35's. The one I picked up is specd for a non Clip D35 and is a different part number and does not have the slot in it for removing the clips. It also has one more Differential (spider) gear where the C Clip models have one gear removed and a special bracket to hold gears while allowing the c clip to be installed. According to a Guy at Randy's Ring and Pinion the non C Clip unit is stronger. Obviously you can run the c clip version in a non c clip diff but and I ran it for almost 3 years like that. However the new ARB should last longer because the side gears are supported on both sides and the axles have less thrust movement because they are non clip and use a retainer bracket to hold them in place.

Everytime you do something on a WJ you find out something new it seems.

Swamp boy
05-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Am I understanding this right... You bought a second ARB for a Dana 35???????????

I have only one Question......

Why??????????? :rolleyes:

Mtn WJ
05-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Sure did

figure this.

3 weeks with 3 business trips between now and GSW.
Parts for old ARB 300 or new one 250
Do an axle swap with no time and have to pay someone mega bucks because of it.

Being in Moab on June 9th ready to wheel priceless.

Swamp boy
05-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Dont you have any friends.. Hell.. anyone that can weld can set you up and 8.8 in a weekend.. I did one in 6 hours before.. Thats removing the 35 cutting off brackets cleaning the 8.8 and welding the brackets on to it..

Then reinstalling.. I had 3 guys over here helping me but all they really did was help with the remove and replace and clean up the 8.8 while we cut stuff off of the 35..

I only charged $150... Because it didnt really take that long ...And after the 4th or 5th one ..They go pretty fast...

I understand the you wanted to be ready ...I wish I lived closer ..I would like to go to ...

Good luck..

Carl

Mtn WJ
05-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Swamp boy I know the idea sounds like a no brainer but my situation is a bit different than yours.

It is a bit simplier on a ZJ than a WJ becuase the speedo is measured off of the rear tone rings and the wheel pattern is different. I have discussed axle swaps of many different types and not sure what I would do in the long run. I have other plans including long arms and will make up my mind when I am ready to both.

I have run the D35 on 89 and counting trail runs with no failures until now. I also think the failure was in part to the type of ARB I used the first time. Looking at both carriers the new one is definately stronger in the spider gear area which is what failed. I guess I may be jinxing myself and may explode the diff in Moab but I do not think so.

Thanks for the input.

Colorado 5.9
05-16-2005, 08:15 PM

:rofl:

I guess I shouldn't be like that. It makes it sound like I never have anything lucky happen to me. Hell, I'm getting 4 new tires for about the pice of one this week. Sadly though I couldn't get 33X12.50's like I wanted. They are back ordered with no known date at which they will be avalible, so I had to settle for 285's. I couldn't take the chance they might be avalible by GSW.

Mtn WJ
05-16-2005, 08:17 PM
yea you lucky fuck

OverkillZJ
05-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Sure did

figure this.

3 weeks with 3 business trips between now and GSW.
Parts for old ARB 300 or new one 250
Do an axle swap with no time and have to pay someone mega bucks because of it.

Being in Moab on June 9th ready to wheel priceless.

Same exact reading I'm building the HP30. Again.

Get to GSW and get there on time.

BigDaveZJ
05-17-2005, 12:33 AM
I'm sure you flogging the shiznit out of that 35 on Dump Bump and Hell's Gate had NOTHING to with this breakage Keith!!

Mtn WJ
05-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Well the thought had crossed my mind after Hells Gate. I do recall however having a slight clunk once in a while in the rear diff prior to the Pre-Run. I am actually happy I tore it down so much and will have new parts in the rear including bearings. If it lasts me another 3 years like the old set up did I will be happy. I suspect it will last longer with the closed type ARB I now have. Who knows it may spoof us all and blow up on Fins and Things.