PDA

View Full Version : steering box replacement q's

paulkeith
05-16-2005, 12:02 PM
i replaced my steering box with a "lares" unit from advance auto. cheapo unit, but whatever. stocker lasted 167k miles and this one has to last maybe 50k.

in any case, after replacing it, my steering wheel is off center by about 10*. i do not see how this is possible at all, since the pitman arm can go on in only one of 4 orientations, and the steering shaft can only go on in one orientation.

i dont see the room for error. could this new box be dimensionally different from my old one? i am just stumped. i dont see how its possible. anyone else had this happen? ideas? comments?

thanks
Paul

BigDaveZJ
05-16-2005, 12:06 PM
You're kidding right?? Loosen the adjustment collar on the drag link, re-center the steering wheel. Wow, that was hard.

EDIT: Moving this to newbie tech too.

paulkeith
05-16-2005, 01:03 PM
no shit, dave. my point was that it shouldn't have changed just beacuse i replaced the steering box. this has NO effect on the length of the drag link. think a little next time. you seriously think i dont know how to fix it? yeesh.

zjeepin
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
im guessing you replaced the box b/c it was worn out... right... well worn out boxes tend to develope a little play in the bearings around the sector shaft allowing it to move laterally as you steer, and the new box has no play so as dave said you just need an alignment....hth

BigDaveZJ
05-17-2005, 12:25 PM
think a little next time. you seriously think i dont know how to fix it? yeesh.

You're the one posting the question!!

Hell, maybe getting everything lined up you managed to move the tires a hair. I've done it. When I replaced my steering I put all the new links at the same length as the ones I took off, steering wheel was off about 60*, toe was way off. You managed to move stuff around a little bit when doing that kind of stuff.

paulkeith
05-18-2005, 07:49 AM
i'm just saying...i knew how to fix it, but that adjusting the sleeve seemed like a bandaid fix ...

my question was what would cause it to change, and if anyone had had a similar experience. i guess its a little more sensitive than i thought.

ATL ZJ
05-18-2005, 05:13 PM
i'm just saying...i knew how to fix it, but that adjusting the sleeve seemed like a bandaid fix ...

my question was what would cause it to change, and if anyone had had a similar experience. i guess its a little more sensitive than i thought.

I wouldn't call that a bandaid fix...

Using PVC for coolant hose would be a bandaid fix :yawinkle: :finga: Sorry, I had to...

Play in the old box would account for the difference in orientation.. Older Jeep boxes tend to develop a TON of play- On the trail mine has seemed to have as much as a 60* dead spot in the center at times..

OverkillZJ
05-18-2005, 05:36 PM
It's a different box. Don't expect it to have the same exact adjustments as your previous box. I'd expect you have to adjust the sleve.