PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 2500

nate
05-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Well I found a very clean 98 Dodge 2500 Extended cab with the 24v Cummins Diesel. It's on ~35" MTRs, (315/70/16 or something like that). Cruise, A/C, etc.
Has 140,000 highway miles... I dunno, not really that much for a diesel I think? Tranny is new this past fall, lost 2nd gear so whole rebuild was done.

Has a chip, K&N filter pack, comes with hitch and 5th wheel hitch. Looking at around $12,000 for it. Nada Guide says ~14,000.

Sound like a decent deal?

I have to find out it the bank would approve for a loan. I still owe a bit on the Jeep, not sure if a person can have 2 loans at once?

BigDaveZJ
05-14-2005, 04:15 PM
I'd probably buy it, sounds to be a good deal. As long as your debt to income ratio is still good and there arent any other problems it should be no issue to get a 2nd car loan.

norton
05-14-2005, 04:48 PM
cummins usually go for 500,000 miles. Those things are fawkin troopers. I'd rather buy a deisel with alot of miles than one with very few :supz:

screendoor41
05-15-2005, 12:58 AM
How big was the 5th wheel the guy towed? Remember that towing heavy shit kills trucks faster.

Troy
05-15-2005, 10:31 AM
auto or manual tranny?

dasVettemeister
05-15-2005, 11:38 AM
How big was the 5th wheel the guy towed? Remember that towing heavy shit kills trucks faster.

It's harder on a diesel driving around with no load. (ie. dumbass soccer-mom in F-350 going to the fuggin grocery store)

nate
05-15-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm not sure. I actually found out it's a gooseneck, not a 5th wheel. So the ball mounts in the bed, there's no 5th wheel plate. Does that make sense? I don't know a whole lot about towing setups. I was told the previous owner that had it before this guy did used it to pull a livestock trailer.

The guy that has is now hauled a 13k trailer up to AK from Iowa and that was pretty much the only towing he did. I talked to him for a while and he is very "anal" about keeping the truck nice and the maintenance done to it. It's very clean, I didn't see any dings/dents anywhere. I think there is a small crack in the windshield, but I don't know a whole lot of vehciles in AK that don't.

What is pretty common to fail on the Cummins? I run them everyday at work, they get used hard, pull 20-30,000 lbs and I can think of a few starters, batteries... oil leak or two and that's about it.

Jeepinparrothead
05-15-2005, 11:09 PM
Tranny is a weak link. It is better to find a manual if you are going to tow with it, I assume you are :rolleyes: But that is not a bad deal I am looking right now for a nice cummins.

Troy
05-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Tranny on the pre-2003 Rams. Mine has held up well but has <50k on it. Change the fluid relogiously and often and there are quite a few owners on the TD register with autos with high mileage.

The lifter pump, or the low pressure fuel pump, can be problematic. A nice fuel pressure gauge will give you a heads up. You see, the high pressure (Bosch) pump that actually feeds the injectrs has enough "draw" to pull the fuel from the tank but it is self-lubricating and will not lubricate properly if there is a failed lifter pump. Then then high pressure pump dies and that's big $$$ and you'll never even know unless you have some sort of gauge. I don;t think that this is an issue with the 12 valve since it's an all mechanical engine.

Those are the two biggest concerns with the Ram CTD pre-2003.

ZJZJ
05-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Definitely check out www.turbodieselregister.com to do some reading. Also, the gooseneck hitch has one huge advantage over a fifth wheel hitch. The gooseneck has a MUCH larger range of motion than a fifth wheel. So, if you plan to tow across uneven ground (off-road parks, unimproved trails to a campsite, etc...) then the gooseneck is a better choice. I'm running a GN, but have a fifth wheel attachment. So, I can run either way. Once you tow with a Cummins, you will never want anything else.

nate
06-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Thanks for the info. It's the 24v BTW. I have run both the 12v and 24v and 24v is MUCH better powerwise IMO.

Well i bought the truck, just waiting for the loan paperwork to get here, since I'm going threw my bank which is in Maine. Bascially the truck I wanted, though I would have really wanted a standard... it took me a long time to find this one at this price, so I'll deal with the auto tranny. It's nearly new, so should be ok for a while.

nate
06-05-2005, 02:15 PM
Oh, and I can't register on that web board?

I wanted some info on this fuel pressure guage, like where to mount? I guess the lift pumps are crap... you know, Chrysler and fuel pumps and trannies... :butthead:

Also pyro... was thinking of installing one, I heard that's a good thing to have.

I'll probably throw on a tranny temp guage, easy install for that.