PDA

View Full Version : cleaned throttle body per FAQ now won't start

Michael
05-13-2005, 03:26 PM
followed the directions in the thread in the faq forum, except i didn't crank it when plug installed, just sprayed in chamber after throttble body clean, then cranked it out, then reinstall plugs, wires, etc. any idea's? i crank and crank and it won't fire up. can anyone help me get my 4.0 to come to life once again? thanks!

nate
05-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Asumming all teh plugs are back in place, hold the gas pedal to the floor and crank. Probably flooded.

Michael
05-13-2005, 04:02 PM
thats what i've been trying. just let it sit for a half hour, and tried again with no luck. i did replace the cap and rotor while in there, but i checked it and everything looks okay. i double check all wires and order, and everything looks good. the plugs were very oil/carbon fowled when i put them back in, anyone think this would be the cause? i'll go outside and try some old ones if you think this might be the problem.

Michael
05-13-2005, 04:34 PM
okay, i have fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and i replaced the plugs, and checked out the cap/rotor/ignition and wires and everything seams okay. while the plugs were out, i cranked the engine, and nothing came out the cylinders, so i don't think its flooded. any idea's?

dasVettemeister
05-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Hmmmm. It's getting fuel but won't start. Might want to make sure you have a strong spark.

Swamp boy
05-13-2005, 06:53 PM
IF all you did was clean your throttle body.. Look for something silly that you pulled off while you where doing it.. I dont know what.. But I bet its something simple that you just arent seeing..

Check the coil ... If you are getting fuel and you are getting spark ....

Well... Hell.. I dont know... :rolleyes:

nate
05-13-2005, 09:26 PM
Mixed up the firing order? Coil wire came undone?

OverkillZJ
05-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Like others said, check the obvious. We call do stupid things (some more then others, PAGING CHASE!)

Heck, pull the batter ground for a few to reset the ECU for a moment, can't hurt. In my experience rigs have been hard to start after the CCC, but they start eventually.

How much did you pour in anyway?

Michael
05-14-2005, 09:06 AM
i fixed it about 15 mins after my post. the wiring diagram i used from haynes manual was rotated wrong in the picture, so it was off on all of them. noticed off of buddy's jeep when he came over with jumper cables. i'm such an idiot.

OverkillZJ
05-14-2005, 09:53 AM
i fixed it about 15 mins after my post. the wiring diagram i used from haynes manual was rotated wrong in the picture, so it was off on all of them. noticed off of buddy's jeep when he came over with jumper cables. i'm such an idiot.

I forgot, I did the same thing 4 years ago when I was a total newb :weedman:

Michael
05-14-2005, 02:36 PM
yeah, but i've got bigger problems now. check engine came on, and now barely starts when cold, and acts like its in OD and can't be turned off which is werid. should i try unhooking the battery for a bit? will that reset the code? i think its just fucked up from earlier. i got new plugs to put in that aren't all carbon fouled, and some lucas upper cyl cleaner to run through it, hopefully it runs a little better.

ogdak
05-14-2005, 03:10 PM
I forgot, I did the same thing 4 years ago when I was a total newb :weedman:

So, you didn't remember, or didn't WANT to remember :snakeman:

Michael
05-14-2005, 03:56 PM
i washed the car the other day, and that is leading me to beleive the tps sensor is all fucked up now. same thing happened on my friends tj. i rev it up, and it falls down to about 50rpm stumbles, then recovers. huge lack of power. any idea's? no code grabber to read the code, so i have no idea what it is, and i have a 98 so the ignition trick doesn't work. any idea's?

Swamp boy
05-14-2005, 11:41 PM
IF you have the money try the TPS... and make sure you didnt accidently unplug anything on the back of the engine while you where messing with the distributor.. There are a few plugs back there that could be unplugged maybe..

Michael
05-15-2005, 02:07 AM
okay, so at first it sometimes when cold the throttle would just drop to idle level and have no response to input from driver for a few seconds, and happen on and off for first 10 mins of so of driving. i took the whole tps off and drove to town, and now it doesn't happen, so do i get another tps, or just leave it off? what does this thing do anyway? would it be the reason for a loss of power, or is there something else wrong too? i can't believe i fucked it up this badly in such a short time.

OverkillZJ
05-15-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm thinking you may've clogged the TPS up...

Swamp boy
05-15-2005, 11:18 AM
I would buy a new one and keep that one in the tool box as a spare..

I dont know what the hell a TPS does other than fuck up every once-in-a-while and piss me off..
But when mine goes out it usually runs like ass for about 5-10 mins after initial startup in the morning stalling out when ever it wants ..Then when the engine is up to temp it runs fine...

When that happens I change the TPS and it runs fine again for awhile..
:smt003

Michael
05-15-2005, 07:50 PM
same thing happening here, so i'm gona replace it on monday. it runs fine without it, so i dno't know what it does. hopefully after this i won't have any problems (gulp).

dasVettemeister
05-16-2005, 02:03 AM
i washed the car the other day, and that is leading me to beleive the tps sensor is all fucked up now. same thing happened on my friends tj. i rev it up, and it falls down to about 50rpm stumbles, then recovers. huge lack of power. any idea's? no code grabber to read the code, so i have no idea what it is, and i have a 98 so the ignition trick doesn't work. any idea's?

Look at IAC also. (idle air control valve)

A TPS generally does not just "fuck up." They will sometimes short at CERTAIN THROTTLE POSITIONS. The only way to tell for sure is to scope it. Good luck.

Michael
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
picked up a code scanner and sure enough, p0123 and p0505. i erased both, and the tps one keeps coming back, but not the other. should i just replace the tps? who has the best deal? can i pick one up at a junk yard? this sucks, i'm leaving for a 4000 mile roadtrip in 2 days and my jeep doesn't even run. any idea on why this would happen? what did i do wrong?

Swamp boy
05-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Get one at autozone they are not that expensive..

I have heard they dont respond well to moisture ..Maybe it got damp with the spraying of the throttle body cleaner ??

I dont know .. But if you are throwing the TPS code common sense says change it...

But what the hell do I know..