PDA

View Full Version : saw-z-alls?

norton
05-12-2005, 03:51 PM
When it comes to buying a sawzall, what brands should I look at?

I got an add in my email today from harbor freight advertising this shiat:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4095

My brother worked construction/de-construction(hehe) for about 2 1/2 years and said he had good experiances with some of Chicago Electircs power tools. He never used this sawzall, he mentioned the 4 1/2 angle grinder (which I plan on buying) and said it was a fucking trooper.
:rock:
I thought for $20 that'd be a steal ... if its not a piece of junk that is

Any input?

TrojanMan
05-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Milwaukee (sp?) and DeWalt are my favorites.

However I saw this at sears the other day and decided its one of the coolest things i've ever seen : http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 928640000&subcat=Reciprocating+%26+Band+Saws

Cue-Ball
05-12-2005, 04:49 PM

However I saw this at sears the other day and decided its one of the coolest things i've ever seen : http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00 928640000&subcat=Reciprocating+%26+Band+Saws

Yea that is some cool shit.

Cue-Ball
05-12-2005, 04:50 PM
When it comes to buying a sawzall, what brands should I look at?

I got an add in my email today from harbor freight advertising this shiat:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=4095

My brother worked construction/de-construction(hehe) for about 2 1/2 years and said he had good experiances with some of Chicago Electircs power tools. He never used this sawzall, he mentioned the 4 1/2 angle grinder (which I plan on buying) and said it was a fucking trooper.
:rock:
I thought for $20 that'd be a steal ... if its not a piece of junk that is

Any input?

Dude, for $20 if it gets you through one job and you don't need it for more than that, then it is a great deal.

I got one of the 4.5" grinders from them for like $15-20 and it has lasted me through 3 jobs so it has paid for itself already. If it dies I will just pick up another one.

norton
05-12-2005, 04:52 PM

that would be very handy.

i did more looking around ...

found a milwaukee with 10 amps and a few dewalts with 6-11.5 amps. that chicago elec only has 4 amps. is that gonna suck some balls? should I find something with more like 8-10 amps?

most saws i saw had anywhere from 2300-2800rpms. any issues having a saw being in the lower range?

the milwaukee I found came with a 3/4" blade, the rest ive seen come with a 1 1/8" or 1 1/4". im assuming longer = better?

any other factors i should take into account?

Cue-Ball
05-12-2005, 04:59 PM
First figure out what you are going to do with it. Are you just going to trim your fenders and be done or are you going to want to use it for years to come?

norton
05-12-2005, 05:20 PM
ill use it to trim my fenders ... thats all i can think of for now. but i'd like to buy shit thats gonna last me so that if i come across a project down the road im not gonna have to buy a new tool cuz the first one i bought is junk. know what i mean? i like quality, but then again im young and cheap is good. :partyman:

Jim311
05-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Worth spending the money for a Milwaukee. That's what I have. I've been very impressed by the Dewalts as well, especially the cordless version!

Nordic1
05-12-2005, 08:01 PM
If you get an angle grinder... get one of those 120-140 dollar milwaukee 4.5" grinders... THEY'RE FUCKING PIMP

That paired with the right disk, you could cut anything

I have a milwaukee sawzall and realy like it

DND
05-12-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm pretty happy with my DeWalt 18V cordless. Hasn't let me down and has been used fairly hard. Just make sure you get quality blades.

Now, my 4.5" Dewalt angle grinder (DW400) I have a complaint with. I was using it to remove axle brackets from an 8.8 and stopped to change disks. Pushed in the plastic pin to lock the disk and tried to turn the disk to remove it. Instead of the locknut backing off, it pulled the plastic lock pin into the housing. It's now jammed and useless at 8:00pm on a Saturday, so down to HomDepot for a new one. Well, well, the new DW402 has an all metal upper housing and the pin is now metal and on the back of the housing instead of the side. Me thinks I might not be the first to have this happen. We'll see what DeWalt has to say. Moral, make sure you get a metal motor and locking housing, no plastic. IMHO.

Jim311
05-13-2005, 12:11 AM
I have the Dewalt 4.5" angle grinder and have no complaints.... it's done me plenty of service, and only cost me 50 bucks.

JeepinHank
05-13-2005, 09:12 AM
I recently bought a B&D 4.5" angle grinder. The only thing I really don't like about is the switch. It's got a trigger switch instead of the usual slide switch. If you're not careful when you pick it up, you'll catch that switch.

Anyway, back to my story - when I went in and bought it at Lowes, I was on the way home from work (aka - Suit & Tie). The Lady offered me a lifetime warranty for $5. I paused from the shock of it. Of course, I took them up on the warranty, and laughed the whole way out to the truck. The funny thing is I never get offered that warranty when I buy a tool wearing greasy jeans and a t-shirt. I guess they didn't think I was going to use it hard. :smt003

deadman
05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
I got a 24V cordless Dewalt. I like it a lot!

robselina
05-14-2005, 10:12 PM
That chicago electric POS won't even get you through one job. A buddy bought one and it literally grenaded in four fawkin' minutes.

My favorite is the heavy duty Dewalt, followed by the milwaukee.

If you want a good cheap one get the Ryobi

Kraqa
05-15-2005, 12:10 AM
Norton,

i didn't read shit in this thread but Dwalt is a black and decker with a yellow case. Once the reaslized that peopel were recognizing there products as crap they desided to add a new poduct. Similar to ford and saturn.

although i have to admit that dwalt is ALOT better then the black and decker line.

personally speaking (from workign 8 months at a tool store) alot of the lower amp models will vary in quality. Bye a 9 amp model and it wont really matter what brand you get. once you get that high up there all abotu the same. I run a 9 amp ddewalt (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/Thread%20pics/bukkake.gif) but it does the job fine and it only cost me $60 CDN on sale.

PS i'm drunk as fuck and wishing i was :weedman:

nate
05-15-2005, 12:27 AM
Sawzall.. I have 2 of them, both Craftsman. Ones a cordless, other on a 10amp variable speed. Both work good, I use the electric one more often cause it's got more power. For a decent one your looking at $75-100.

I don't buy cheap tools. I hate dealing with them, and often I'll got threw several where a good quality tool would not have problem.

norton
05-15-2005, 01:57 AM
I don't buy cheap tools. I hate dealing with them, and often I'll got threw several where a good quality tool would not have problem.

thats pretty much how I am, also basically why I started this thread.

thanks peoples I think the topics been covered well enough for me to buy something not crap.

ps i want some :weedman:

dasVettemeister
05-16-2005, 04:53 AM

So do I, but you're not going to find it here dumbass.

bburgi
05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/bburgi/009.jpg

Swamp boy
05-16-2005, 01:16 PM
I have Porter Cable ...Tiger Saw... I love it , and I use the crap out of it.. :smt003

norton
05-16-2005, 01:55 PM

So do I, but you're not going to find it here dumbass.

hehehe .. maybe i wasn't clear ... when i said that i meant i was about to go partake in certain activities which i shall not name.

o ya, i have some and am gonna go get more ... of the good stufffffffff :finga:

i heart :weedman:

o ya, saw-z-alls are cool. i need to buy one in the coming months. i figure I wont NEED it till this fall once I've purchased the rubbers

Mtn WJ
05-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Get a Milwaukee or a Porter Cable. I have a Dewalt and it is a decent saw that I bought on sale and could not refuse the price. So in other words Dewalt will do you well but if you want the best get a Milwaukee.

KevinM
05-20-2005, 01:44 AM
I just saw this thread and had to throw in my 2 cents.

This is what I would buy, but of course I am biased :mrgreen:

http://us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16252

norton
05-20-2005, 01:09 PM

I can't find a price.. little help?

KevinM
05-21-2005, 01:09 AM
They don't post prices on the web, but they are only $300

Jim311
05-21-2005, 01:59 AM
Shit, 300 bones? You can't go wrong with a Milwaukee and it's 125 bucks.

KevinF
07-27-2006, 03:25 AM

I agree with Kevin...that Hilti sawsall is the best one I've ever owned. It is SO much easier to get a good cut without banging up your knuckles trying to keep the blade in the cut since you can change the depth, change the speed (fully variable) and to make life even better, it's counter-balanced internally, so it literally runs like a Singer sewing machine. We've had three sawsalls in the shop...a Chicago Electric cheapie (which sucks, but still works after I replaced it once), a Dewalt which was good, and the Hilti which is WAY above top-notch.

Kevin

Skyline
07-27-2006, 08:06 AM
I don't really see a reason to get a 120 volt sawzall, now that the rechargable battery saws are so good. In my fire department, we use the Milwaukee battery powered saws for rescue operations, and it has performed flawlessly. We've used the Dewalt ones too, but they don't stand up. One of it's primary uses is cutting the roofs off cars....especially cars that have integral roll cages in the pillars like Mercedes and Suburu. (Too bad our ZJ's don't have these, they'd be a heck of a lot safer!) These pillars are so tough that our Hurst hydraulic cutter has a hard time with them (newer models than our's of the Hurst Cutters do a better job with these super tough pillars), but the sawzall rips right through them. We use them all the time for cutting other parts on cars as well and they do a great job, but hardened roof pillars, and door beams, are the biggest challenge to our tools. Milwaulee makes special blades for the fire service that are specifically designed for cutting up cars, and you should look for these as well.

But if you plan on just using it for trimming fenders, you might consider a jig saw with a metal blade instead, it's a lot more precise.

DJJordache
07-27-2006, 10:40 AM
But if you plan on just using it for trimming fenders, you might consider a jig saw with a metal blade instead, it's a lot more precise.
I have that HF sawsall and it rocks! I beat the crap outta it and it keeps going! I could buy like 10 HF ones or get one dewalt/milwakee, and since it's not for a business or for work I just can't justify getting a high dollar one when I can spend that extra money on other toys:D
and when I trim my fenders I'm going to use a air body saw.

O'Tool
07-27-2006, 10:41 AM
If you want a good cheap one get the Ryobi
I agree.
I got a Ryobi about a year and a half ago for $50 and I use it all the time.
I've trimmed metal, took out a wall in my house and took out a stump with mine!:smt106 (I dug down under the roots and cut all of the roots with it!)
I have no complaints about mine!
(although the adjustable depth would be cool...)

JeepinHank
07-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Just bought a Dewalt this past weekend, and now I wonder WTF I was thinking for not buying one sooner. Awesome. Makes light work of stuff my angle grinder, chop saw, or jig saw would never be able to handle.

xtremzj
08-01-2006, 09:31 PM
snap-on air sawzall here

ILikeMud
08-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I've got a Motormaster (Canadian Tire brand..not sure what you guys can compare it too).

Works fine for me, I just hate for the blade always comes out.

goodolboy71
08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Norton,

i didn't read shit in this thread but Dwalt is a black and decker with a yellow case. Once the reaslized that peopel were recognizing there products as crap they desided to add a new poduct. Similar to ford and saturn.

although i have to admit that dwalt is ALOT better then the black and decker line.

personally speaking (from workign 8 months at a tool store) alot of the lower amp models will vary in quality. Bye a 9 amp model and it wont really matter what brand you get. once you get that high up there all abotu the same. I run a 9 amp ddewalt (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Kraqa/Thread%20pics/bukkake.gif) but it does the job fine and it only cost me $60 CDN on sale.

PS i'm drunk as fuck and wishing i was :weedman:

Dewalt=B&D literally....have had a many of dinners with an individual who was very high in B&D company before changing jobs( guy is loaded, had 1 of everythign that dewalt made in his garage, and instead of buying a beach house, he built a movie entertainment room in his house and bragged that the difference between his reclining leather chairs and the ones TIger Woods had was TW's didnt give vibrating massages) anyways he said really the only difference other than the case and colors were the grade quality of the switches between B&D guns and Dewalt, explained that they put more money in that part on the DW between the 2 so it was a physclogical thing, better firmer trigger=better...other than a few minor small things they were the same, same motors, etc and that is the thing with all the products between the 2 that are comparable....that being said i didnt see hardly shiat of B&D in his garage

ProjectZJOM617T
08-01-2006, 10:40 PM
A good standard cord (AC outlet) powered reciprocating saw, Air cutoff (husky), air grinder, air nibbler (?blue point) and believe it or not.. Dremel tool are what I have used on sheet metal.. Put a diamond cutoff wheel on a dremel and you can make cleaner, more accurate and much harder to eff up fender cut outs...