PDA

View Full Version : AMSOIL or ATF+4 in tranny?

TrojanMan
05-11-2005, 04:19 PM
I know ATF+4 is the shit.. but what about amsoil stuff? I'm about to run the oil, and its supposed to be good chit.. what about tranny fluid?

discuss.

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 04:25 PM
I say go AMSOIL, I am running it in mine and so is norcaljr (well he will be he already has it just needs to install it).

It is +4 rated.

OverkillZJ
05-11-2005, 04:37 PM
Amsoil here.

TrojanMan
05-11-2005, 04:51 PM
I thought chrysler didn't release the ATF+4 formula?

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Here is a blurb from the Amsoil site:

Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid
Meets the requirements of most automatic transmissions. Eliminates confusion, mis-applications and lowers inventory requirements. Delivers maximum protection and is excellent in demanding environments such as towing, hauling or commercial use. Lasts longer than conventional oil for extended drain intervals. Saves time and costly maintenance expenses. Superior hot and cold weather performance. Improves efficiency and typically reduces operating temperatures by as much as 50°F. Performance specifications include: GM DEXRONŽ III, Ford MERCON & MERCON V, Chrysler ATF+ through ATF+4, Allison C-4, Cat TO-2, Voith G-1363, ZF TE-ML 14C, Toyota Type T & T-IV, Mitsubishi/Hyundai SP II & III, Honda;
Z-1 (Not for use in cut transmissions)

Jim311
05-11-2005, 05:30 PM
I dunno man.. I'm skeptical to run anything the manufacturer didn't spec...

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 05:36 PM

I am not sure but I don't think you could order a ZJ with 4.5" of lift and 33's. I must have missed that dealer option. :mrgreen:

Seriously Jim, the manufacturer did not spec synthetic oil in our Jeeps either so are you against that as well?

Jim311
05-11-2005, 08:01 PM

I am not sure but I don't think you could order a ZJ with 4.5" of lift and 33's. I must have missed that dealer option. :mrgreen:

Seriously Jim, the manufacturer did not spec synthetic oil in our Jeeps either so are you against that as well?

A tranny and an engine are two different things, and a 4.5" suspension and 33s are much less fickle than an automatic tranny!

LouisianaZJ
05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
stick with the ATF +3 or +4 and put in a trans cooler

why take the chance on something that would provide minimal advantages, if any. these trannies are crappy enough as is, they dont need any more possible sources for failure

i would not hesitate to run the AMSoil in the t/c, diffs, engine, or PS fluid however

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 08:03 PM
I hear ya.

Dirk

Kraqa
05-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Cue-Ball is bias.... :finga:

OverkillZJ
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Anyone got a link to what "whats his name" from APS precision tranny's posted on NAGCA/JU about a year ago about how to make a tranny last longer? He stated a few basic things, the first three I remember being:

Run a bypass filter
Run an external tranny cooler
RUN SYNTHETIC

Kraqa
05-11-2005, 10:13 PM
wayne, i got no link but AW will or if you look in the tech section on JU's main pahge

LouisianaZJ
05-11-2005, 10:14 PM
pahge :tease:

Nordic1
05-11-2005, 10:18 PM

I knew Dirk would be excited when he saw the heading on the thread

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM

Okay you got me :supz:

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 10:51 PM

What can I say, I have to pimp my shit right?

Come on I know you guys want to see me at GSSW and GSW in '06, and since my wife won't let me spend "the house money" I have to pimp my oil out as much as possible to pay for the Jeep build.

LouisianaZJ
05-11-2005, 10:59 PM
whore

TrojanMan
05-11-2005, 11:03 PM

pay for the Jeep build.

That's the reason I picked AMSOIL over Mobil 1.

Edit : and the reason I'm considering AMSOIL over ATF+4

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 11:14 PM
whore

WHATEVER it takes!!!!!

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 11:16 PM

pay for the Jeep build.

I appreciate that Dave,

The way I look at it is if I am going to spend money I would rather pay a guy I know or atleast someone I know is into Jeeps like I am, rather than to some kid at the local parts place or god forbid the dealership.

TrojanMan
05-11-2005, 11:29 PM

pay for the Jeep build.

I appreciate that Dave,

The way I look at it is if I am going to spend money I would rather pay a guy I know or atleast someone I know is into Jeeps like I am, rather than to some kid at the local parts place or god forbid the dealership.

That's exactly how I feel. Its only what, 30 bucks more to go with your stuff? If 30 bucks is breaking the bank I have bigger issues. Besides, maybe i'll drive out there one day and go wheeling.. and I'll need you to yank me out of a bad situation :mrgreen:

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 11:34 PM
That's what I like to hear.

I try not to be like a lot of guys out there and just sell the crap and be done, I have always tried to build a relationship of sorts with every client so they are repeat clients.

I just want to treat each one as I would like to be treated.

Okay okay enugh of this mushy crap!!!!

Jim311
05-12-2005, 01:26 AM
That's what I like to hear.

I try not to be like a lot of guys out there and just sell the crap and be done, I have always tried to build a relationship of sorts with every client so they are repeat clients.

I just want to treat each one as I would like to be treated.

Okay okay enugh of this mushy crap!!!!

I love you too man.

:love:

nate
05-12-2005, 02:12 AM
What is the price on Amsoil ATF? Here it's about $7 a quart, same for gear oil.

Cue-Ball
05-12-2005, 02:24 AM
Nate,

Prices for the ATF is right about $7 also + shipping.

For ATF the best bet would be to buy a case of 12. I could do a case of 12 for $100 shipped (to the lower states I would have to figure it out for Alaska). The list price is $95 + shipping, so it would be close to $110 or so list price.

I will put together some general pricing and add that to my vendor thread, that way you can see exactly what different things will cost (i.e. oil change, tranny change, diffs, ect), I am going to be out of town this weekend so I might not get that all posted until early next week but keep an eye out.

Dirk

TrojanMan
05-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Pan change on the 42RE is 4-4.5 quarts. A complete transmission including torque converter is 8.5-9 quarts.

Cue-Ball
05-12-2005, 10:23 AM
Pan change on the 42RE is 4-4.5 quarts. A complete transmission including torque converter is 8.5-9 quarts.

True it is just a little cheaper by the case. Then you have some extra for the next time or if you wind up with a leak and have to take it apart again like I am having to do.

Also for me I put on the Mopar deep pan so it took an extra 3 qts +/-.