PDA

View Full Version : replacing steering box..

zjeepin
05-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Ok so the stock steering box is dying, rightfully so at 257k. And I am certainly looking to upgrade. I've heard alot of talk about J truck boxes, being a good swap for beefier internals and lower ratio, as well as countless other boxes with better attributes than the stock zj box. I don't think i am looking for hydro assist at this point, just a stronger box, possibly a lower ratio.

Question being, what works? With this worn out steering box, pump, and welded up diff, i cant steer for sheeeeaaat. I have an ARB goin in real soon so thats gonna help but i've got to have a new steering box. Thanks

Nordic1
05-11-2005, 03:22 PM
Even better than the J20

www.PSCpowersteer.com

621MR steering box for the ZJ

X-treme Duty w/ Ram Assist steering gear, 13-16:1 variable ratio, 3/4"x 30 input shaft, large 3.125" piston diameter, metric o-ring type ports

Bolt in replacement... :rock: Looks like they went up in price a little bit so you might hunt around PBB for a vendor that can get it for you on discount

zjeepin
05-11-2005, 03:35 PM
well im not that interested in hydro assist. i think its prolly too much for the d44 knuckles. Right now i absolutely cannot steer moving slowly when the front its locked. I'd much rather have to fight the wheel a little when its bound, rather than ripping the knuckle off. I think im just going to get the J20 box and follow the west texas offroad instructions on getting a little extra fluid pressure out of the factory PS pump.

Anybody here have experience with the j20 box?

nathaniel
05-11-2005, 04:00 PM
well im not that interested in hydro assist. i think its prolly too much for the d44 knuckles. Right now i absolutely cannot steer moving slowly when the front its locked. I'd much rather have to fight the wheel a little when its bound, rather than ripping the knuckle off. I think im just going to get the J20 box and follow the west texas offroad instructions on getting a little extra fluid pressure out of the factory PS pump.

Cody is running the 44 and is yet to break a knuckle that I know off with hydro assist and it makes turning them a piece of cake. about the only thing not broke

OverkillZJ
05-11-2005, 04:38 PM

Cody is running the 44 and is yet to break a knuckle that I know off with hydro assist and it makes turning them a piece of cake. about the only thing not broke

Driving Cody's rig is the one thing that's made me want hydro assist in a bad way. I'm so used to truly fighting my steering wheel, with his rig you can drive with your pinky.

Cue-Ball
05-11-2005, 05:10 PM
the west texas offroad instructions on getting a little extra fluid pressure out of the factory PS pump.

Not familiar with this mod, do you have a link?

Nordic1
05-11-2005, 07:41 PM

The 621MR is a steering box... not hydro assist... Just FYI

LouisianaZJ
05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
i have a guy from JU who is supposed to be buying a PS box off a 96 from me. (still waiting for payment, has been like 2 weeks)

if he does not pay up, ill sell it for $65 shipped. Sorry, it does not have a pitman arm but it does include the hoses.

EDIT:
it is a stock, used jeep box off a 96 cherokee
appears to be in good condition

zjeepin
05-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Heres the link to hop up your ps pump.

http://westtexasoffroad.homestead.com/powersteering.html
Im definately going to give this a shot with my old pump, if it works i'll do it to one w/o so many miles on it.

Louisiana... exactly what box do you have there?

I guess no one knows anything about the j20?

MaineZJ
05-12-2005, 09:24 AM
waggy box bolts in
J20 box - think it bolts in
4x4 Durango box is bigger than both of those and bolts right in.

zjeepin
05-12-2005, 09:27 AM
durango huh? what are the advantages?

MaineZJ
05-12-2005, 12:03 PM
that's a stock 80's waggy box on the right vs the 'rango. waggy is same size as TJ/YJ. hard to tell from the pics, but the bore is a full inch larger across the front.

http://www.neow.net/kjp/images/durango/durango.JPG
1999 4wd Durango, 318 engine.

nate
05-12-2005, 01:01 PM
J20 box bolts in, though with the stock shroud I think it would need to be modified a bit cause it's a tight fit.

zjeepin
05-12-2005, 02:05 PM
so a new j20 box is $120, durango box is 220.... Im going J20. I'll let ya know how it works out. Thanks for the input guys :partyman:

LouisianaZJ
05-12-2005, 02:17 PM
a new "j20" box is not really a "j20" box

it is a j10

tis trew

zjeepin
05-12-2005, 03:01 PM
that sucks....alot.... junkyards suck up here too... need another plan now

zjeepin
05-12-2005, 04:01 PM
so rancho jeep recyclers has a used j20 box... $150... am i getting ripped off?