PDA

View Full Version : What is shot in this crappy axle?

Bradley
05-10-2005, 12:12 PM
I pulled the drum off my shitty D35 this morning, cause something was leaking on the ground, and holy crap there is a lot of gue in there. The entire braking assembly is wet and there seems to be metal shavings on the brake piston for the drums and all along the brake shoes there seems to be bearing grease. Now what things need to be replaced any ideas? I wonder if the inner bearings are ok, how would I check that? Is it safe in assuming the only way there could be fluid in their would be axle lube. I highly doubt it is brake fluid, I figured it would be axle fluid but it did not smell that bad. I would rather just replace it with the 8.8 but that will be a lot more money than I can probably spend right now. Any ideas?

robselina
05-10-2005, 07:10 PM
sounds like a shot bearing and bad axle seal. cheap to fix.

Bradley
05-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks. Are you talking about the bearing on the outside of the axle and that seal? Do you know of any good write ups on this? Isn't there a bearing, and I assume seal, behind the ring gear? If there is gear oil all the way to the drum then it must have come through the tubes right?

Swamp boy
05-11-2005, 11:06 AM
Open up the diff.. Pull out the carrier (make sure you dont get the caps mixed up.. The bearings are on the carrier.. (If they look clean and spin freely dont change them.. The seals are right inside the tubes once you get the carrier out of the way..

While you have the axles out check the outer bearings same thing.. If they look good and spin freely with no noise put them back...

The seals will stop your leak.. And you can start looking for an 8.8 They are in boneyards everywhere for about $200-$250...

Then you just need a buddy with a cutting torch and a welder...

Carl

Bradley
05-11-2005, 01:44 PM
Thanks Swamp just what i wanted to know. So pulling out the carrier will not mess with the gear alighnment, that is the only thing I am nervouse about?

Swamp boy
05-11-2005, 06:19 PM
Just put everything back exactly like you take it off... You will be fine...

nate
05-11-2005, 10:14 PM
The seals are right inside the tubes once you get the carrier out of the way..
Carl

Yeah on the D30, but he's working on the D35... :mrgreen: