PDA

View Full Version : Which line is witch on the steering box?

nate
05-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I have had my steering box apart for a month or so and I didn't pay attenetion to which line went where. The high pressure line... it is going in the front or rear port?

Thanks.

OverkillZJ
05-08-2005, 03:38 PM
I don't remember, but I think they only fit one way? I'll look later, but for now off to mums day shtuff!

nate
05-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Nah, they both will go in either. Could someone just check for me real quick? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but still I'd like to know.

OverkillZJ
05-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Nah, they both will go in either. Could someone just check for me real quick? I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but still I'd like to know.

Oh it makes a difference, one sides high pressure, one's the low pressure return. Mix them up and you'll have steering fluid EVERYWHERE and a cooked pump since it's self lubing from the steering fluild

AprilzWarrior
05-08-2005, 06:16 PM
The High Pressuse line is the port closest to the radiator.

HTH
:mrgreen:

OverkillZJ
05-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Visual :snakeman:

http://www.fccsonline.com/pic/jeep/4.20.04.r.jpg

nate
05-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks!

Yeah it might be my newbie question of the day.. I should have payed attention when I took it off, but I'm not perfect. :mrgreen:

nate
05-09-2005, 08:38 PM
OH, FYI... the o rings aren't o rings, they are a special type. Had to get Napa to order me some.

nate

OverkillZJ
05-09-2005, 08:44 PM
OH, FYI... the o rings aren't o rings, they are a special type. Had to get Napa to order me some.

nate

...What!? I don't know what kinda vehicle you're workin' on - but my ZJ's box is DEFINATELY good ol' o rings!

Kraqa
05-09-2005, 08:57 PM
the high pressure line is the one made from a old garden hoze and standard hoze clampy's right??

nate
05-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Nope, they look like o rings, but they aren't. They are square instead of being round. Not sure why or if it makes a difference enough to leak, but I figured I may as well get the same ones. Napa has them, I just had to get them from the warehouse and didn't have time to this afternoon to stop by to get them

The HP line has line pressures of up to 1400psi.. I doubt garden hose would work.

nate

...What!? I don't know what kinda vehicle you're workin' on - but my ZJ's box is DEFINATELY good ol' o rings!

OverkillZJ
05-09-2005, 09:43 PM
Ya... There's definately some differences in our boxes then. Mine takes a nice small lil o ring on both the pressure and return sides. My old stock box did too.

nate
05-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Well I have a modified J20 box, but the lines are just the ones that were stock on my Jeep. I think a regular o ring would work too. I'm gonna see what Napa has for me. Jeep does weird stuff sometimes.

DND
05-09-2005, 10:49 PM
Nate, I just installed the 621M last week using standard O-Rings to replace the squared off ones Jeep had in there. Size R-04 worked for me, no leaks so far. That works out to 5/16" ID, 7/16" OD, and 1/16" section.

Hope that helps.

Dave

nate
05-09-2005, 11:24 PM
How do you like that steering box?

AprilzWarrior
05-09-2005, 11:25 PM
FWIW,
O rings that have been cranked down tight, tend to Square the Edges.

AW

DND
05-09-2005, 11:42 PM
How do you like that steering box?

Too early to tell, I just finished up the install of everything Saturday night. I'm still working out all the vibes and proper axle allignment.

I've got new steering, suspension, axles, Tcase, wheels and tires you name it. Once everything is settled I'll form an opinion.

nate
05-10-2005, 07:28 AM
Yes I realize that, but these are actually square and looks like they have a taper to them where it's a bit thicker at the top.

FWIW,

AW

nate
05-10-2005, 07:36 AM
FYI.. the proper sized hose to fit on the hard lines would be 11/32, 3/8" would be a bit loose... 5/16" doesn't fit... oh, and it sucks when you buy 10 feet of the wrong size and it's almost $3 a foot.

Worst part about is in my old line say 11/32 right on the damb thing. I swear some days I have to wonder WTF I was thinking haha. These 20 hr days are killing me.

JpRngr
05-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Yes I realize that, but these are actually square and looks like they have a taper to them where it's a bit thicker at the top.

FWIW,

AW

If they are rubber, they are supposed to be O-rings no matter what they've deformed to look like. Only other thing any domestic manufacturer has used recently is a plastic seal.

Corey

nate
05-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Yeah I put some regular O rings. They aren't deformed to what I'm talking about.. it's too hard to explain without showing someone. Know the plastic seals your talking about, well just like that, only they are rubber.