PDA

View Full Version : 4.0 head removal/valve job

Michael
05-07-2005, 03:44 AM
thinking of saving the $650 i was quoted on head removal and reinstall plus machine shop expenses to fix a burnt exhaust valve in my head. i haven't really done any engine work before, and was wandering how difficult this project would be, and how long it might take to do? What special tools are needed besides a torch wrech? As I understand it, i can just deliver the assembled head to the machine shop and they will take care of everything from that point, then i just pick it up and reinstall everything. is this correct, or do i need to dissasemble the head then take it to the shop? what all should i have done to the head at the machine shop? so far, i know i need at least a head gasket and intake/exhaust manifold gasket to do this project. what else should i pickup? should i replace all new guides, valves, springs, seats, etc or what? any help would be great as my college fund is sinking faster than a d35 in a lake.

Cue-Ball
05-07-2005, 06:36 PM
Just read an article in the June issue of 4Wheel & Off-Road (pg 114-115).
The article is about swapping the stock 4.0 head with a 4.2L aluminum head from Hesco. They state it is a direct out of the box bolt on and that on the 4.0L you gain 30hp, and the aluminum head is 30 pounds lighter than stock.

Hesco does not list a price on their website, but here is the link Hesco head (http://www.hescosc.com/newproducts.html)

Might be something to consider, I will call them on Monday morning to see what the price is as I am also interested in this mod depending on pricing.

Nordic1
05-07-2005, 07:41 PM
It's probably about a grand for the head... they want about that much for their "big valve head" I think.. PS:

http://www.hescosc.com/newpord/2xtrouble.jpg

SICK! I wonder if it works (in terms of the ECU)

Cue-Ball
05-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Yea the article did not talk about the dual intake only the alum. head.

Michael
05-07-2005, 10:17 PM
there head is big $$$. i don't have about $500 total to spend, so i guess i'm screwed unless i have it done in mexico :smt010 . i looked through my stack of jeep mags, i couldn't find that issue, so i don't know what it says. but i take it most of you have done this type of thing before, and might have some thoughts that would help me get it done. :partyman:

Cue-Ball
05-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Michael,

Here is the article for you. I am only on dial up here at the house so these are smaller scans but on Monday I will post the full size scans to my fototime site and post a link for you so you can down load them after that.

PAGE 1 (http://www.fototime.com/{56CF4698-6C2D-4499-85F4-6E9FFF76894D}/picture.BMP)

PAGE 2 (http://www.fototime.com/{8BB52107-1F93-474F-B911-21D151DB17B4}/picture.BMP)

Hope this gives you a good idea about the work involved, looks prettystraight forward to me and something I feel I could do myself, and trust me I am not the most mechanical person on the boards.

TrojanMan
05-08-2005, 02:39 AM
The head is pretty easy to remove actually. All you need is a good set of sockets 3/8" drive will work, and a torque wrench. You'll need the big 1/2" drive torque wrench with a 1/2" 12 point socket for the head bolts. You'll need a new head gasket.. get the overhaul set from www.jeepconnection.com It comes with a mopar performance head gasket that increases the compression ratio, increases HP. You'll need locktite for the head bolt on the very front drivers side bolt. Also, if your head has been removed before, you should replace the head bolts. Its good procedure to replace the bolts every 2 times the head is removed.

Pick up a haynes manual or a FSM from cue and it'll give you good instructions on how to do it all. Pretty much you just remove the valve cover, intake & exhaust manifold, power steering pump & bracket, ac compressor, and pull the head off. You'll want a buddy for it.. its fairly heavy (100+ pounds) and awkward because its so long.

As far as preventive maintenance you'll want to get new valve stem seals (from jeepconnection.com) and I went ahead and put in new push-rods because they're cheap. You could also opt to get new mopar performance valves - you're not only getting new valves but they flow more so you get some performance. Have the machine shop take care of all that good stuff. Go ahead and have them do a port & polish as well.

Any more questions feel free to post up.

Michael
05-08-2005, 03:03 AM
so if i were to replace the recommended parts in the head, what all should i order besides the teardown kit, and rods from jeep connection? what size valves can i put in? they have more than one size on that website, can i use bigger than stock ones? what would i need to do? how long you guys think it will take to get the head taken off, the machine shop work done, and head reinstalled? i was figuring a week or so total with a wait at the machine shop cause there is only 1 in my town.

TrojanMan
05-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Go to www.jeepsunlimited.com and post in the speedfreaks question about the valve sizes. You also might want to look around on dino's website : www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/

For the first time doing it i'd plan on a day to remove the head (It can be done in a few hours if you really know what you're doing), I think I dropped my head off at the shop one day and picked it up the next day, and plan on putting the new head back on that day or the following, depending on your schedule. It can be done in a few days if you really get on it. Besides the teardown kit and push rods you need to get new valve stem seals and your choice of valves.

Cue-Ball
05-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Dino's site it GREAT. He is also great to talk with, he is a really neat guy.

TrojanMan
05-08-2005, 11:50 PM
Dino's site it GREAT. He is also great to talk with, he is a really neat guy.

I agree 100%. He knows more about the 4.0 than any three guys combined. He is also an awesome guy, he'll help you out with anything.

Cue-Ball
05-09-2005, 12:09 PM
Okay just got off the phone with Hesco.

The alum. head runs $1599+shipping, if you want to add roller rockers that is an additional $488.

The head comes complete ready to bolt on.