PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Pinion angle

nate
05-04-2005, 04:16 AM
This is a funny one.. maybe newbie tech.

Yeah I measured the pinion angle and I have no idea where the paper went that I wrote it on. I have a notebook I keep in my toolbox and I musta ripped that page out for something else, or... I dunno.

I think it was around 15*, but I don't remember for sure.

I'm gonna mock up the axle and see, but I don't have a driveshaft, etc so it will be a bit hard to get an accurate number.

Could anyone with a SYE go and measure for me?

BMRisko
05-04-2005, 08:08 AM
At 6" of lift mine was around 13" Somewhere in the 11-13" is a safe bet and will leave ample room for minor tweaking with adj. CAs.

Nordic1
05-04-2005, 12:46 PM
x2...

I was at 8" lift at the time and I think I put it at 11*

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-04-2005, 02:37 PM
x2...

I was at 8" lift at the time and I think I put it at 11*

8"? compensating for your 4"er?

at that height you should be running 39's.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/BlackListWheelers/grandzj/Picture1371.jpg

Swamp boy
05-05-2005, 02:50 AM
Well ..Mine is at 15* and the 2 I have set up for other guys where both the same.. :smt003 Worked for me so I did theirs that way to..

nate
05-05-2005, 05:40 AM
Yeah I threw the axle under the Jeep and it was right between 15 and 16*.

Got the spring purches tacked on... worked on the truss tonight and I completely wasted my time. Bascially it was made too tall and narrow, so I cut it to a reasonable height, but the legs have maybe an inch on each side of the diff..., the diff is like 2" off center, and I can't move the truss over enough so the UCA mounts will be in the right place.

Ever had those days that you work your ass off, but yet get nothing done? Gonna get some steel tomorrow and build a new truss... so more work to do.... I've got 3 weeks to finish... hope I can do it.

JeepinHank
05-05-2005, 10:50 AM
Ever had those days that you work your ass off, but yet get nothing done? Gonna get some steel tomorrow and build a new truss... so more work to do.... I've got 3 weeks to finish... hope I can do it.

Yeah, it seems like that every time I walk out into my shop....

I write up my "to-do" list, highlight what I think I can get done in a day, and end up getting half of that if I'm lucky. Then I add all of the stuff to my "to-do" list that I didn't think about before, and I'm right back where I started. :axe:

Nordic1
05-05-2005, 12:31 PM
How is pinion angle when building an axle newb tech?

nate
05-05-2005, 04:31 PM
Well I got everything done I wanted to today and it's only noon :mrgreen: HELL YEAH!. Got some steel, built a new truss. I like it ALOT better. Just waiting on the UCA tabs and shock mounts from Ty and I'll be all done with the kit really. Just need to pull everything back off, weld, paint and call it a day.

Then I have the 20billion other details to take care of. :rock:

ATL ZJ
05-05-2005, 06:16 PM
Definitely don't set it at 0 degrees. That's what mine I set mine at a year and a half back when I was still at 3"... Now with 6" and an SYE, life is hell on the highway... I can't get it much more than 8 degrees. It's at 7 now, and the more I rotate the pinion back, the further back the axle goes since the axle side LCA mounts come forward... Also, the bracket for the trilink rotates way up, and it maxes out on the rear xmember... THe coils are bowed something awful too. Looks like it's time to yank it and set it up right... :toimonst:

nate
05-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah the first time I set it a couple years back I had the stock driveshaft, so I put it at 7*.

I put the pinion at ~16* and then all the stuff is at 0*. Should work out pretty good.