PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 Cover FYI

nate
05-04-2005, 01:18 AM
Something that I found....
Be careful with the diff cover on low gearsets. With 4.56s it fit, but it actually rubbed a bit I found out, and it put a nice groove in the cover, just about threw. I had drilled the holes larger and slid the cover over so that fixed it
With 4.88s, no way the cover would not rub. I had to "modify" it to get it to clear the ring gear..

So keep that in mind... especially with 4.56s.

Swamp boy
05-04-2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the info.. I am going to be doing 456 in mine soon... Maybe I ll put a piece of plate behind the cover to space it out or something....

Nordic1
05-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Wow really? I don't have any problems with mine... what gearset are you using? Yukons here

nate
05-04-2005, 04:20 AM
I didn't think I had any problems either, the cover bolts down just fine. Put it's just to say touching, and when the diff flexes a bit, it was enough to put a groove in the cover.

I'm curious maybe there are other axles that use the same cover, only a hair different? Doesn't make much sense to me though. I got this one from a junkyard, it was just lying in a pile of stuff I had seen it... stocker was a plastic one.

norcaljr
05-04-2005, 07:08 PM
I didnt have a problem with mine & 4.88 Yukons gears

phillyzj
05-05-2005, 12:22 AM
i haven't noticed anything with mine and 4.88's and stock cover. i haven't driven it yet though, so maybe mine will do the same.

maybe you got a funky 8.8 cover?

my only problem is that it's pretty much made out of a tunacan. working on a diff guard currently.