PDA

View Full Version : sandblasting an axle

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-02-2005, 05:27 PM
So I'm about 1/2 way done getting my HP30 ready for some primer/paint and some guy is telling me that sandblasting the axle is a bad idea because I would ruin the housing and more specifically "seal bosses and bearing caps" which I'm not exactly sure is. I'm not hammering the axle with sand, just getting the surface rust off and getting all the gunk out. Is this a potential problem with a light sandblasting? thanks.

OverkillZJ
05-02-2005, 05:52 PM
It's simple, don't sanblast inside the diff, I imagine you could screw up the bearing channels?

I don't think you'll have a problem, just don't be stupid. I know that's hard for you :finga:

Jim311
05-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Seal bosses? Fill the tubes with rags and shit and go to town. Not really sure why you wanna blast the housing anyway since it's just gonna look like shit after you wheel it a few times anyway...

OverkillZJ
05-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Seal bosses?

That's the word!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
05-03-2005, 12:14 AM
ok so i understand the whole deal with the seal bosses and seats and stuff but now IIRC correctly the bearing caps that hold the carrier bearing into the housing must be in the same orientation as it came from the factory. I have the original caps but am not sure as to which was left/right. Is this going to cause a potential problem as well?

OverkillZJ
05-03-2005, 12:24 AM
ok so i understand the whole deal with the seal bosses and seats and stuff but now IIRC correctly the bearing caps that hold the carrier bearing into the housing must be in the same orientation as it came from the factory. I have the original caps but am not sure as to which was left/right. Is this going to cause a potential problem as well?

There should be an "F" stamped on each that corresponds to one on the diff as well on each side

Swamp boy
05-03-2005, 02:30 AM
Mine had V's... But the same thing... One will be upside down or something..

You will see the difference when you get ready to install... match them up .. Thats all..

And it would be a bad Idea to sandblast the inside of the axle.. If you feel like you have to clean it try some engine degreaser or brake cleaner or something that will not pottentially mess anything up or worse leave a residue of tiny sand in the bearing channels that will ruin the bearings...

As for the outside.. Blast away..

nate
05-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Actually Matt it may not be an F. On mine, they are Ds, I have also seen a few other letter used. But yeah the letters are a certain way and they match to the bearing caps. Some diffs don't have this either, my LP 30 didn't. It's a smart idea to mark them before you remove them. I use use my tool etcher and put a L and R.

As for sandblasting cover up the inside and you'll be fine. I would just use a wire brush or wire wheel on the grinder, but that's me.

OverkillZJ
05-03-2005, 12:01 PM
Actually Matt it may not be an F. On mine, they are Ds, I have also seen a few other letter used. But yeah the letters are a certain way and they match to the bearing caps. Some diffs don't have this either, my LP 30 didn't. It's a smart idea to mark them before you remove them. I use use my tool etcher and put a L and R.\

Weird, my LP30 from my 97 ZJ had a D stamped, and my HP30 from an 89XJ has an F :weedman: