PDA

View Full Version : 4th of July Weekend

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2005, 11:13 AM
So if my schedule pans out the way it SHOULD, I'm gonna have 7/2 through 7/6 off work. Saturday through Wednesday. Current thoughts are to head to the BV area, run some trails like OCG, Holy Cross, probably some of the easier stuff in the area too. Planning on camping at a little spot I know about 10-15 miles NW of BV. So far it's just me and Pam, and I'm HOPING to have her Jeep at least somewhat ready to go by then, i.e. 2" BB, 31's, some sliders, tow points, the basics. Anybody wanna join us for some or all of it?

OverkillZJ
05-02-2005, 11:33 AM
I could be talked into staying out there for that.

BigDaveZJ
05-02-2005, 11:41 AM
I could be talked into staying out there for that.

Well then stay fucker!

And BTW, I checked the breaker box yesterday, the only time I looked at it was in the dark, and there's 3 empty spots. I'm thinkin one 220 and then 2 of the teeny tiny 20 amp guys.

OverkillZJ
05-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm in as long as I can get all by business in order before I leave.. I just lost my lead contractor so everythings all ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

JohnBoulderCO
06-21-2005, 12:18 PM
Getting closer. Who's up for some wheeling?

BigDaveZJ
06-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Getting closer. Who's up for some wheeling?

If I do wheel, it'll only be Monday through Wednesday. I'm either going to MN Sat-Wed or working Sat and Sun, wheeling Monday - Wednesday.

JohnBoulderCO
06-22-2005, 06:41 PM
I'm available Sat-Tue over the 4th of July long weekend. So, pick a day and let's hit some trails.

Anyone else?

OverkillZJ
06-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Mark and I will probably be wheeling Friday / Saturday. If anyone figures out anything for Sunday lemme know, if it's near the same area I'll be there.

JohnBoulderCO
06-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Cool! I could probably make Friday as well.
Hey, it's 4th of July, need to use some vacation.

zjmike4
06-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I can probably make it for a couple days, what day for Holy Cross? This all depends on my new schedule which I haven't found out yet either...

JohnBoulderCO
06-27-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm going either Sat or Sun for sure.

Trails I'm considering: Keystone loop including Red Cone, Spring Creek or Holy Cross

OK, who is in for some wheeling this weekend?

shortys ZJ
06-28-2005, 09:05 AM
What are you running Wednesday? I'm in Leadville so I can go either direction. Holy Cross or OCG. :mrgreen:

JohnBoulderCO
06-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Wednesday? A pretty tough trail, located in most places, it's called Work.

JohnBoulderCO
06-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Dave, you still wheeling over the weekend or in MN ??? John

denverzj
06-29-2005, 08:59 PM
If you are going to make some easier runs or runs with plenty of bypasses I would like to join. I don’t want to be in way over my head, but it’s time for me to start wheeling this old jeep.
I am headed up the weekend either way, let me know if a newbie can tag along.

JohnBoulderCO
06-29-2005, 10:48 PM
You are the only one interested!
If we do the Keystone, Red Cone, Breckenridge loop, you will be fine.
Holy Cross, no way. Spring Creek, no problem except for the Rock Garden which has a bypass, people are debating if it is legal or not.

I'm leaning toward Sunday at this point.

No one else?

Mtn WJ
06-30-2005, 12:32 AM
If you are doing the Keystone loop trails maybe I will run Webster with the Volvo Cross Country.

Actually we will be fishing in the area or perhaps near Deckers depending my brothers prefs.

Have fun.

JohnBoulderCO
06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
If you are doing the Keystone loop trails maybe I will run Webster with the Volvo Cross Country.

Actually we will be fishing in the area or perhaps near Deckers depending my brothers prefs.

Have fun.

Let's take it down Red Cone!

JohnBoulderCO
06-30-2005, 01:47 PM
OK, I'm heading up Sunday and plan on running in order:

Starting on Keystone side--Webster, Handcart, Red Cone, Radical Hill or Deer Creek (depending on who comes), Middle Fork, Georgia Pass--End on the Breckenridge Side.

We could meet at I-70/Morrison and caravan up or meet in the Keystone Skier Parking lot.

Keith/Jack, does this work for you guys?

Anyone else?

zjmike4
06-30-2005, 05:19 PM
I should be able to make it too. I will probably also be with a rubicon w/33s and a CJ-2a w/32s. The 2a will probably be trailered there since its top speed is a lightning fast 45 on the highway, so we can meet at morrison or Keystone skier lot. What time?

JohnBoulderCO
06-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Looks like we got a little group brewing. Cool.

Time, well, these runs aren't that hard, or take that long, but are very scenic. I was thinking be in the Keystone parking lot before lunch time, that would put us in Breck by dinner time. If we start to run late, we could just go back down Webster to Keystone for a quick exit. Did you have a start time in mind?

zjmike4
06-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Well we may have 2-3 more short wheelbase CJs and TJs coming too, a few guys from MHJC might be interested in tagging along. They are still debating what they are going to do. When I find out if they are coming for sure, I'll let you know.

Yeah, if we are heading out of Keystone by probably 1030 or maybe even a little later we should be good on time, ive ran all these trails before and really like them. So maybe meet at 9:45 somewhere on I-70?? I will be coming from Evergreen.

JohnBoulderCO
06-30-2005, 06:32 PM
That sounds like a good meeting time. Meet at the Evergreen exit instead? Are they not sure about going or are they thinking about doing another trail?

Yeah, they are fun trails. Radical Hill from bottom to top is always fun!

zjmike4
06-30-2005, 06:40 PM
My dad is in the On The Rocks MHJC. They wanted their group to go run Redcone in particular, but only a few can go, so my dad has suggested to them that they should tag along with us. He said he would call me tonight and let me know what they plan on doing.

Evergreen exit works great. How about at the El Rancho parking lot? Evergreen Parkway exit off I-70, and then right at the light and the El Rancho Restaurant lot is directly on the left.

Going down Redcone is fun too, especially if there are mountain bikers at the bottom watching and thinking you are crazy! :supz:

Mtn WJ
07-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Well I dont think my wife will be hip with wheeling the Cross Country even though the changes on Webster would make it do able in a Volvo Wagon start to finish.

That combination of trails is one of my favorite trips and I am bumbed that my Jeep is out of commision for it. By the way you should start a little sooner than noon on a 4th of July weekend to do all of those in a day lit day. I suggest you do Radical Hill to bypass a bunch of people on Deer Trail and lower Webster. Another fun part would be after Red Cone take Radical Hill to St Johns and then end up back in Montezuma. Just a couple ideas for you all.

I have been thinking about camping on Webster at the river crossing in a couple of weeks. I can get to it with the car from the Keysone side and then my kids and I could hike the three peaks in the area.

Have fun whatever you do.

JohnBoulderCO
07-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Keith, don't tell her! Just out for a little spin.

Doing Radical Hill to St. John's to bypass a people is a good idea, providing no one is coming down and we have to wait long. I think we will play it loose and see if there is a crowd to deal with. I'm hoping a little later start gets the early birds up the hill ahead of us.

OK, does the Evergreen Exit work for everyone? 9:30am, just a tad earlier. If others would rather meet at the Keystone Parking lot chime in and I will give you my cell phone number.

If we are all at Evergreen on time, we should be in the Keystone parking lot by 11am at the very latest. Then it's less then an hour to the base of Red Cone the direct route, a little longer if up Radical Hill first.

Pack a lunch we eat at the summit!

jsteves
07-01-2005, 08:32 PM
how long does this run usually take? we may be interested in bringin our zj's if it is not too long.

JohnBoulderCO
07-02-2005, 12:15 AM
how long does this run usually take? we may be interested in bringin our zj's if it is not too long.

It's not like a Golden Spike trip! :mrgreen:
The various books say an hour from Keystone to the base of Red Cone, then another 2-3 to go down Hand Cart and Up and Down Red Cone. Hour back to Keystone.

Roughly a half day, depending on crowds. I have done it quicker, and have taken more time, going on to Breckenridge, but maybe that isn't in the cards for this trip, we shall see how it goes.

Mtn WJ
07-02-2005, 12:32 AM
yea Curt and I did it last year and we were in a hurry and did the run in about 4-5 hours. This was taking Hand Cart to Red Cone - Radical Hill - Deer Trail and then Webster back to 285. It was like a mini baja on Webster which was kinda fun.

Have fun.. I am going to Twin Lakes with volvo to fish with the kids.

denverzj
07-02-2005, 01:56 PM
So I am in for sure
See you guys at the Evergreen Exit tomorrow at 9:30

zjmike4
07-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Great, see you all there tomorrow morning!

JohnBoulderCO
07-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Me too! Tomorrow morning!

zjmike4
07-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I hate to bring bad news, but I posted this run on Colorado 4x4.org and a couple people came back saying redcone and webster are still closed. One guy said he drove by and the signs said both were closed but it looked like someone cut a hole through the snow. Another said that there were 3-6 foot drifts and another called today and the FS said they are closed till at least the 9th....

So....

I suggest we run something like Jenny Creek? It is not too dificult, but still a cool trail that I took my ZJ on back when it was stock. Meeting time and place would still be the same and it is not an all day long trail. This trail is near Rollinsville past blackhawk for those who might not know.

Just an idea. Or we could still try to see if it is open now. One guy said that they FS said it was closed for a week after it was opened last year so you never know, I'd just hate to go all that way and not be able to do much. I know for sure that Jenny Creek is open all the way to the top to the dirt road that takes you back to Central City.

I'll keep checkin this and still plan on meeting tomorrow morning!

If anyone needs/wants to please call my cell: 303-913-8710. it might be easier to figure this out by phone instead on the forum.

JohnBoulderCO
07-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Well, I'm hitting the hay. Still meeting tomorrow at 9:30am.
Another option is Spring Creek, so we can talk tomorrow.
I have your cell #.
John

Colorado 5.9
07-03-2005, 01:06 AM
I think the north side of webster & radical is open. I guess we'll find out.

jsteves
07-03-2005, 01:32 AM
well, i think our wheelin is going to be delayed at least until monday, so enjoy the trip!

K2
07-03-2005, 01:57 AM
well, i think our wheelin is going to be delayed at least until monday, so enjoy the trip!

What are you running on Monday? I am pretty sure I waved to you the other day on Lowell. I was in my black ZJ turning onto 124th. I am trying to convince the wife to go wheeling on the 4th. But it needs to be short and not to tough, I am 31s open. I dunno if I can make it yet but let me know what you were thinking.

K2

jsteves
07-03-2005, 09:25 AM
yeah that was me you saw. I think we will be hitting either spring creek or jenny creek. both are short and pretty close. i think you would be fine on either. let me know if you are interested.

K2
07-03-2005, 12:53 PM
I am working all day today, now till 1am. Leave a post here with your plans and times, I will check this when I gethome. Thanks

Ken

jsteves
07-03-2005, 11:10 PM
hey, the trail is still up in the air, but we are leaving around 8:00. I will PM you my cell number.

zjmike4
07-04-2005, 12:03 AM
Hey, I think I will be camping at the base of the winch-hill, the first obstacle on Spring creek. If you see my blue ZJ there swing on over and I'll run the rest of the trail with you.

Mike

jsteves
07-04-2005, 02:11 AM
well, i think we decided to do jenny. never been there before, soooo.